strange ritual, confused

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
Aghori - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Aghoris distinguish themselves from other Hindu sects and priests by their alcoholic and cannibalistic rituals (see necro-cannibalism). The corpses, which may be either pulled from a river (such as the Ganges) or obtained from cremation grounds, are consumed both raw and cooked on open flame, as the Aghoris believe that what others consider a "dead man" is, in fact, nothing but natural matter devoid of the life force it once contained. Therefore while for ordinary people cannibalism may be seen as primitive, barbaric and unclean, for Aghoris it is both a spiritual resource and a subversion of taboos. In the Aghori view, nothing is profane nor separate from God, who is hailed to be all and in all. In fact, the Aghoris see it as a scientific approach in trying to discover how matter converts from one form to another

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
LiveLeak.com - Real Cannibal Footage From the Hindu Sect Aghori

Apparently this is some sort of ritual. Curious as to why he's doing this.
There is a saying in Punjabi 'Tangiyan de mari Duniya, adhi chor ban gaye adhi Saadhu'.

Enduring harsh world, poverty and scarcities half of the population became thief half became 'Saadhu'.

A Saadhu or Aghori in this case is a person who doesn't believe in materialistic world, was not able to cope with materialist world but lives a self imposed ousted life with pretension of doing some thing spiritual or Godly.

To be more clearer it all because of abject poverty, rest are just excuses.

blank_quest

Country flag
There is a saying in Punjabi 'Tangiyan de mari Duniya, adhi chor ban gaye adhi Saadhu'.

Enduring harsh world, poverty and scarcities half of the population became thief half became 'Saadhu'.

A Saadhu or Aghori in this case is a person who doesn't believe in materialistic world, was not able to cope with materialist world but lives a self imposed ousted life with pretension of doing some thing spiritual or Godly.

To be more clearer it all because of abject poverty, rest are just excuses.
dude if I say that I had like to be a Sadhu (not an aghori) on one fine day and am neither poor nor illiterate then ?? :dude:

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
Then you would be a 'teacher' sadhu, not a 'blind follower' sadhu. My grandpa's brother is a sadhu...

dude if I say that I had like to be a Sadhu (not an aghori) on one fine day and am neither poor nor illiterate then ?? :dude:

t_co

Aghori - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Aghoris distinguish themselves from other Hindu sects and priests by their alcoholic and cannibalistic rituals (see necro-cannibalism). The corpses, which may be either pulled from a river (such as the Ganges) or obtained from cremation grounds, are consumed both raw and cooked on open flame, as the Aghoris believe that what others consider a "dead man" is, in fact, nothing but natural matter devoid of the life force it once contained. Therefore while for ordinary people cannibalism may be seen as primitive, barbaric and unclean, for Aghoris it is both a spiritual resource and a subversion of taboos. In the Aghori view, nothing is profane nor separate from God, who is hailed to be all and in all. In fact, the Aghoris see it as a scientific approach in trying to discover how matter converts from one form to another
Got it. To each his own, I guess, but wouldn't it be considered offensive by the relatives of the deceased? I mean, I wouldn't want somebody eating my relatives, even after they've passed on. Or do Aghoris try to get permission from family members beforehand?

KS

Bye bye DFI
Are aghoris and Naga sadhus the same ?

jalsa

@KS , They are not the same, Aghori tradition was initiated by dattatreya the immortal sage. Aghoris spiritual practice is very unique, some one said it is Sheegra-Ugra-Theevra ( quick, ferocious,intense) and the quickest way to god but very few can endure it. Notable Aghori is Kinaram Agori, there is a saying- What Rama cannot do, Kinaram can do.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Got it. To each his own, I guess, but wouldn't it be considered offensive by the relatives of the deceased? I mean, I wouldn't want somebody eating my relatives, even after they've passed on. Or do Aghoris try to get permission from family members beforehand?
They make use of what is left over, unclaimed and cast away......

Shiva is Aghor, anadi (with no begining ) and anant ( with no end) .......

Matter in all forms is basically one so indulgence in any form of matter is basically the same.

False intelligence is the root cause of ego and elimination of false intelligence ( such as human flesh is diffrent from other matter) through rituals and practices is a path towards attaining true counsciousness and merger with aghor.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Cannibalism is not new to humanity.

SPIEZ

Country flag
@KS , They are not the same, Aghori tradition was initiated by dattatreya the immortal sage. Aghoris spiritual practice is very unique, some one said it is Sheegra-Ugra-Theevra ( quick, ferocious,intense) and the quickest way to god but very few can endure it. Notable Aghori is Kinaram Agori, there is a saying- What Rama cannot do, Kinaram can do.
Can you throw some more light on the same?

Who are Naga sadhu's?

Are Agori's the followers of Siva who who once was cursed?

Last edited by a moderator:

jalsa

Can you throw some more light on the same?

Who are Naga sadhu's?

Are Agori's the followers of Siva who who once was cursed?
Naga Sadhus are also devotees of Lord Siva but their rituals are different, but one thing is same, both Aghoris and Nagas do absolutely crazy stuff that is considered insane by modern standards. The life of Aghori is toughest, we cannot discuss their nature of sadhanas here, many of them die the very first time they attempt the rituals. You can see few Aghoris near Mount Girnar in Gujarat.

Lord Siva was once cursed by some Sages, but remember that he is "BhootNath" the Lord of all Spirits, so naturally Aghoris worship Siva if they were to mess with the evil spirits. There are some books based on life of one notorious Ahgori, you can refer them.

t_co

Naga Sadhus are also devotees of Lord Siva but their rituals are different, but one thing is same, both Aghoris and Nagas do absolutely crazy stuff that is considered insane by modern standards. The life of Aghori is toughest, we cannot discuss their nature of sadhanas here, many of them die the very first time they attempt the rituals. You can see few Aghoris near Mount Girnar in Gujarat.
Hmmm, Aghoris may be a good pool to try and extract genetic samples for human longevity/disease resistance. Do you think they would consent to such testing?

t_co

They make use of what is left over, unclaimed and cast away......

Shiva is Aghor, anadi (with no begining ) and anant ( with no end) .......

Matter in all forms is basically one so indulgence in any form of matter is basically the same.

False intelligence is the root cause of ego and elimination of false intelligence ( such as human flesh is diffrent from other matter) through rituals and practices is a path towards attaining true counsciousness and merger with aghor.
Left over or not, wouldn't it still cause distress in the relatives of the deceased, though? I mean if the bereaved people are okay with it, then the practice is fine, but if they're not, common courtesy suggests they should leave the bodies alone...

jalsa

Hmmm, Aghoris may be a good pool to try and extract genetic samples for human longevity/disease resistance. Do you think they would consent to such testing?
They believe in law of karma.

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
Hindus are cremated. Those who float in rivers half burnt are unclaimed bodies when the cremators think not to waste any more wood fuel and dump the bodies. This practice is illegal of course.

Left over or not, wouldn't it still cause distress in the relatives of the deceased, though? I mean if the bereaved people are okay with it, then the practice is fine, but if they're not, common courtesy suggests they should leave the bodies alone...

t_co

Hindus are cremated. Those who float in rivers half burnt are unclaimed bodies when the cremators think not to waste any more wood fuel and dump the bodies. This practice is illegal of course.
Got it. That's sad. One wonders if a state govt would look into subsidizing cremation--rotting bodies are a severe health hazard, and it's kind of hard to defraud a process that only pays out money when your relatives die.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles