Starbucks takes on India

arkem8

Country flag
Here people are paying 8 bucks for a bottle of Voss.
Not a big deal, in status and face concious China where a foolish teenage chinese student sold one kidney for an I-pod.
In October 2010, Norway's TV 2 reported that Voss is tap water from the municipal water supply in Iveland and, contrary to Voss marketing,[3] is not artesian.[4][5][6] TV 2 continued to maintain these claims despite Voss objections.[7]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voss_(water)
LOLOLOLOLOL!!!
The East Asians are excellent consumers, all you need is a White Face and a British/American accent and you will move goods in China-however ridiculously priced....
Many conmen from the west have struck gold after realizing how much the Chinese/ Japanese/ Taiwanese/ Koreans/ Hong Kong locals worship and emulate Westerners....

McD is doing extremely well in India. They are super choosy when it comes to opening new outlets, and apparently it is working out very well for them.
They aren't being choosy, they cannot open a new McD ever other street in India like they have in the west. Even if they could they would not move as many products in each outlet at the rate they are now at the few places they are open...

Last edited:

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Pinnacle of what?? Can they be number one in eating/ dining out like they are in the US??

In India---Never..
Pinnacle of the fast food chain.

1. I am not sure if Dominos or McD's is the number one dining out choice in the USA, they are both fast food places. For me dining out has a different connotation then getting a bite at a fast food place or getting a pizza delivered.

2. I am not sure if its their aim to be number 1 choice for dining out in India. They want to be the number 1 burger/pizza fast food chain and in that they are succeeding, imho. They have successfully tailored their offerings and got Indians hooked to them.

arkem8

Country flag
Pinnacle of the fast food chain.

1. I am not sure if Dominos or McD's is the number one dining out choice in the USA, they are both fast food places. For me dining out has a different connotation then getting a bite at a fast food place or getting a pizza delivered.

2. I am not sure if its their aim to be number 1 choice for dining out in India. They want to be the number 1 burger/pizza fast food chain and in that they are succeeding, imho. They have successfully tailored their offerings and got Indians hooked to them.
LOL Boss in India fast food = Samosa, Idli, Wada Pav, Medu wada, Bhael Pure, bature, Pakora etc etc

Mac D's will never ever run these millions of hawkers out of business like they did the hot dog vendors in the States....

Also most small reataurants in India offer veg/Non veg burgers, pizza targeted at the younger crowd, I really doubt MacD will surpass these small operations ever.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
They aren't being choosy, they cannot open a new McD ever other street in India like they have in the west. Even if they could they would not move as many products in each outlet at the rate they are now at the few places they are open...
McD is not competing with VadaPav on street in India.

Their Brand positioning is very careful.

And yes they are choosy, try obtaining their franchise.

Apollyon

Führer
Country flag
There are 2 McD's, Pizza Hut, Dominos, KFC and SubWay 10-15 minutes (walking) from my House :D

sob

Mod
Country flag
Okay so Starbucks is here with American staff, long queues and Latte at Rs. 105 for a regular size.

Almost at par with Costa/ Gloria Jeans. Looking forward to see them opening in Delhi.

Tata's are planning to have one outlet in each of their hotels. Wonder what will they charge for a coffee at Taj?

average american

These large food chains dont make many mistakes, they know what they are doing for the most part. They do a lot of research before launching a location. They also have a lot of over seas experience.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
I just realized ive never been to cafe coffee day :yey:

Only went to barista a couple of times in the beginning.

But im a dhaba kind of person :D paratha at murthal or mutton curry in puran singh dhaba in karnal is worth more than the likes of mcds, dominohuts etc can even conjuer up.

mayfair

These large food chains dont make many mistakes, they know what they are doing for the most part. They do a lot of research before launching a location. They also have a lot of over seas experience.
...doesn't necessarily translate into success in India. The market is different, the attitude is different and so are the people.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
tea is national drink for most of country, except for south India.

mayfair

tea is national drink for most of country, except for south India.
Curiously enough, during my stay and travels across South, I found tea being sold at nearly all food shops alongside coffee, even in remote hamlets. Though I must admit, I opted for coffee over tea most of the time.

In fact a sizable amount of Indian tea comes from the Nilgiris (which include Conoor and Ooty) and the Anaimalai Hills (which include Munnar).

sob

Mod
Country flag
Old news but one country where Starbucks went horribly wrong was Australia. they have had to shut down a majority of stores down under.

BBC NEWS | Business | Shunned Starbucks in Aussie exit

The mighty Starbucks coffee empire has been handed a heavy defeat by thousands of small Australian cafes in the fight for a nation's taste buds.

Eight years after it began selling its espressos and frappucinos in Australia, the US giant has succumbed to powerful financial and cultural pressures and has closed 61 of its 85 shops across the country.
Savouring a morning cup of coffee has become a ritual for millions of Australians - yet one that Starbucks failed to capitalise on, in spite of the way the chain had become a global cultural phenomenon during the 1990s.
"It was maybe too standardised," says Michael Edwardson, a consumer psychologist in Melbourne.
"Early on it was unique and different, but as it became a global chain the standardisation made it lose some of that coolness and edginess. It was quickly copied and lost its lustre."

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I really don't find the coffee of these fancy label coffee chains fascinating.

I always prefer the South Indian filter coffee as the real coffee.

What aroma and what taste!!

sob

Mod
Country flag
In Delhi I have seen a new trend for the last few years that in the coffee outlets marriage alliances are fixed. The whole family turns up and the boy meets the girl on a seperate table and presto half an hour later you have a yes or a no.

sob

Mod
Country flag
I really don't find the coffee of these fancy label coffee chains fascinating.

I always prefer the South Indian filter coffee as the real coffee.

What aroma and what taste!!
I guess it is an acquired taste. Me I need my daily dose of an Espresso shot or an Americano. Black coffee is not really an option with the South Indian Coffee.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Tea is also an acquired taste.

Some like Darjeeling, some like Assam and some like Ceylon or Nilgiris.

I drink Darjeeling and that too Castleton, Makaibari, Lopchu, Happy Valley.

The other Darjeeling teas somehow I find has a taste that is not very savoury.

While the First Flush is supposed to be the most expensive and best, I prefer the second flush, which has more 'body'.

Amongst coffees, I remember one type of coffee that was laced with Rum, I don't remember what it was called, but we as 2/Lts would cycle down from Chatham Lines (near Phaphamau) in Allahabad to this restaurant on Civil Lines near the petrol pump and departmental stores on the crossing of Civil Lines and the road that had the Gazdar Icecream.

That coffee was something real addictive!

Last edited:

sob

Mod
Country flag
Sir, you are a man after my own heart.

I prefer only Darjeeling tea. Early morning cuppa of Darjeeling tea is a must. and Lopchou tea is my addiction. Unfortunately not able to get it regularly in Delhi. When I was in Kolkata, my office was in Nilhat House, the largest Private Tea Auctions in Asia take place there. I was introduced to Lopchou by a friend there.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles