Sri Lankan Buddhist monk self immolates to demand ban on cow slaughter

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
Sri Lanka's Government is investigating the death of a Buddhist monk who set himself on fire last week, saying journalists knew in advance of his plans and could have alerted authorities.

Bowatte Indraratana died over the weekend after setting himself on fire on Friday near the famed Temple of Buddha's Tooth Relic in the central town of Kandy. The 30-year-old was the first monk to self-immolate in Sri Lanka.

The Media Ministry said Monday that the monk could have been saved if media personnel had informed authorities about his intentions.

Sri Lanka probes monk's self-immolation, Buddhists demand ban on cow slaughterA statement on the Ministry's website said the ministry had launched an investigation "following information that the monk had reportedly given a statement to local media about his intention to kill himself by setting himself on fire" to protest against a cow slaughter.
The president of the group, Akmeemana Dayaratana, said Indraratana killed himself because the authorities ignored his requests to ban cow slaughter." We will continue his struggle and soon launch a countrywide campaign to demand the ban of cow slaughter."
Buddhism, Sri Lanka's State religion, opposes the killing of any life. Nearly 75 per cent of Sri Lankans are Buddhists. Many Buddhists in Sri Lanka do eat meat, but most avoid beef because they consider cows sacred.

The monk's self-immolation last Friday came as the Sri Lankan Buddhists were celebrating the Buddha's birth, enlightenment and the passing away which fell on May 24.
Sri Lanka probes monk's self-immolation, Buddhists demand ban on cow slaughter | Niti Central
--
@civfanatic BSE > Hindunation !

Last edited by a moderator:

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Re: Sri Lankan Buddhist monk self immolates to demand ban on cow slaug

Good, one less veggie.

MAYURA

Tihar Jail
Banned

In Japan too beef was banned till Meiji restoration.

Chinese have never been traditionally great eaters of beef( atleast the farmers who hated eating even useless cows) till that bastard Mao.

On a lighter vein, it seems that PN Oak's claim of shintoism being sindhuism ( in his words another name for hinduism) and Paramesh Chaudhary's assertion of India colonizing China are not very illogical.:rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:

LalTopi

strange. When I went to Sri Lanka I noticed that Sri Lankan Buddhists actually did eat beef.

I thought the monk was protesting about the halal method of slaughter?

HeinzGud

Country flag

strange. When I went to Sri Lanka I noticed that Sri Lankan Buddhists actually did eat beef.

I thought the monk was protesting about the halal method of slaughter?
He was kind a nutcase. Taking decision from heart not from brain. Though this incidence created mixed reactions here.

cobra commando

Tharki regiment
Country flag

EXTREME!! :nod: :rock:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles