Sri Lanka snubs India opens port to Chinese submarine again

brational

Country flag
We had wrongly played our cards in Sri Lanka during UPA era and offered China a free ride in SL. Sri Lanka is merely trying to please the New Indian leadership at present. China is a much bigger stakeholder in Sri Lankan affairs than us, the investments and involvements speak the truth.

On the other hand, Sri Lanka cannot be a long term ally of China because SL can neither give the volume(Business) to China nor she has the capability to withstand Indian military action(considering future conflict due to China). So a sane Sri Lankan leader will always try to have a balanced approach.

Chinese interest in SL will gradually decrease once the North-South stretch of "Silk Road" connecting Kashgar to Gwadar port becomes the reality. It will give seamless access to Middle East and Central Asia. So Chinese are more interested in securing their Energy and Trade route via Gwadar and Afghanistan than docking submarines in Sri Lanka. China and India will not be able to exercise full control over Indian Ocean due to Diego Garcia. Hence, Chinese Military Establishment will never pursue Indian Ocean dream.

China's best bet is Pakistan and Myanmar, though the later has shown resistance to full access. Pakistan can/will provide every assistance to China since her economy is not moving anywhere and her perceived threat from India will force her to go extra miles even giving military access to China to get $$. Once the energy and trade corridor is secured, China will get upper hand in border dispute settlements.

To sum up, it is not a promising scenario for us. Sri Lanka is merely a pawn for China. The real game is being played elsewhere. China will win the Game if we fail to make headway into Gilgit Baltistan.

Last edited:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Talks are just talks, They hold no water ..

Only actions speaks the words ..

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
I think first step is to mend the ways with rest of our neighbouring countries minus Pak and China.

let us be big brothers, support, help and supplement them and in turn make sure they dont do anti India activity from their soil.

no smoking

Country flag
I think first step is to mend the ways with rest of our neighbouring countries minus Pak and China.

let us be big brothers, support, help and supplement them and in turn make sure they dont do anti India activity from their soil.
The reasons they are bring Chinese in is:
1. they don't you to be their big brother;
2. Chinese get lots more to offer than Indins

sgarg

I think this China vs India is getting too overboard.

There is a pragmatic ruler in China and a pragmatic ruler in India. Let us ratchet this noise down.

It suits the empire that India and China fight. However it does not benefit people of either country.

India has given China favored trading status for a reason.

Let Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, and Nepal benefit from links with China.

India has to go a long way in developing itself. If China has developed more, it is logical if China helps neighboring countries.

sgarg

To my Indian friends - please contribute to development of India rather than shouting China down.

Japan is NOT YET a true and tested friend of India. Yes we have Japanese investment but Japanese are NOT politically aligned with India. Let us wait and watch

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
Sri Lanka seems to be a lost cause as far as allies are concerned.

But do the Lankans really think that the Chinese will be able to protect them from all the way across the Ocean if they piss us off enough?

A few Chinese subs will not be able to protect them but it will give us a reason to attack.
They're counting India to never start a war. They're probably right. BJP will never want to derail its delicate economic agenda by starting wars.

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
They're counting India to never start a war. They're probably right. BJP will never want to derail its delicate economic agenda by starting wars.
What about a scenario when Lanka joins as a Chinese ally in a Sino-Indian war?

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
Then we will not have started that war. It's just that Colombo will become the next Hiroshima. If I'm the CIC of a Sino-Indian war, I will hit China's allies first, while holding off China conventionally. The world will forgive India for using nuclear force to hold off a "bigger" adversary. Sri Lanka is making itself nuclear cannon-fodder for China.

Last edited:

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
Hopefully it will not come to that. Regardless of whatever China does, it is India who has first reach to SL. That fact can't be changed by the Lankans.

There are so many other ways to make someone understand your language :)
All you need is a Govt. willing enough and a bureaucracy competant enough.

HeinzGud

Country flag
Then we will not have started that war. It's just that Colombo will become the next Hiroshima. If I'm the CIC of a Sino-Indian war, I will hit China's allies first, while holding off China conventionally. The world will forgive India for using nuclear force to hold off a "bigger" adversary. Sri Lanka is making itself nuclear cannon-fodder for China.
If India pushes SL too much, SL might allow China to install long range nuclear missiles in SL. It's India's call. The India antagonize SL the more SL edges towards China.

HeinzGud

Country flag
Entire Southern India would become susceptible to enemy attacks. That's what will happen.

brational

Country flag
If India pushes SL too much, SL might allow China to install long range nuclear missiles in SL. It's India's call. The India antagonize SL the more SL edges towards China.
Oh, what kind of push are you talking about? Did India pushed you to allow docking Chinese subs?
BTW, you are free to deploy Nuclear missiles, this will definitely bring prosperity to Sri Lanka. A nuclear posture can help SL to rest in peace. To add to your comment, if Sri Lanka pushes India too much.....

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
Entire Southern India would become susceptible to enemy attacks. That's what will happen.
Dude we don't even need carriers to bomb your cities. Plus "all" of India is in China's range so there is nothing SL offers us in terms of threat.

Also, you can't touch this.

HeinzGud

Country flag
Dude we don't even need carriers to bomb your cities. Plus "all" of India is in China's range so there is nothing SL offers us in terms of threat.

Also, you can't touch this.
Oh really. AFAIK many of Indian nuclear facilities and industrial bases are located in the Southern India. So I think it is more rational to bomb south than go in for full offensive in the North.

ladder

Country flag
You need pushing? In 1965 and 1971 wars SL allowed Pakistan planes to re-fuel. I don't think you are not aware of what happened thence.

HeinzGud

Country flag
Oh, what kind of push are you talking about? Did India pushed you to allow docking Chinese subs?
BTW, you are free to deploy Nuclear missiles, this will definitely bring prosperity to Sri Lanka. A nuclear posture can help SL to rest in peace. To add to your comment, if Sri Lanka pushes India too much.....
There is nothing SL can do to push India. It is always India that push SL to do things. And anyway Don't put empty threats on SL. We all know that India can't even raise the finger on Pakistan so don't become the nuclear aggressor and lose the status quo.

HeinzGud

Country flag
You need pushing? In 1965 and 1971 wars SL allowed Pakistan planes to re-fuel. I don't think you are not aware of what happened thence.
Yes why not fuel Paki planes? SL was and is a neutral country. We weren't an Indian ally during those times. Don't bring up petty issues here.

ladder

Country flag
Yes why not fuel Paki planes? SL was and is a neutral country. We weren't an Indian ally during those times. Don't bring up petty issues here.
SL allowing CN nuclear subs was described as a petty issue as well in the past as well. :rofl:

I have never said SL as not a neutral country have I?

You seem to be a bit weak in recalling contemporary history of SL.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles