Spy novelist Tom Clancy dies

nrupatunga

Spy novelist Tom Clancy dies aged 66
Clancy wrote a string of best-selling spy and military thrillers. His 17th novel, Command Authority, is due out in December. Several of his books featuring CIA analyst Jack Ryan have been adapted into successful Hollywood films. The former insurance broker died in a Baltimore hospital near his Maryland home, according to reports.
Written in his spare time, The Hunt for Red October (1984) was Clancy's first published novel and sold more than five million copies.President Ronald Reagan helped to fuel the success of the book when he called it a "perfect yarn". The novel was made into a film in 1990, starring Alec Baldwin as Ryan and Sir Sean Connery as Soviet submarine captain Marko Ramius. Harrison Ford went on to play Ryan in film versions of Patriot Games and Clear and Present Danger, while Ben Affleck played him in 2002 release The Sum of All Fears. Jack Ryan: Shadow One, a new film to feature the character directed by Sir Kenneth Branagh, is set for release this December.

Clancy usually wrote a book a year, making him one of the wealthiest authors in the world. In 2002 he was ranked at 10 in Forbes magazine's Celebrity 100 list with estimated earnings of $47.8m (£33m).

In the 1990s he founded Red Storm Entertainment, later bought by Ubisoft, which developed games based on Clancy's ideas. Blockbuster video game titles bearing his name included Splinter Cell, Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six.
Clancy was known for his technically detailed espionage and military science storylines. One, written in 1994, told of a crazed Japan Airlines pilot who flies into the Capitol building in Washington.

In a 2003 interview, CNN presenter Wolf Blitzer suggested his precise accounts of the US military techniques were giving away secrets to terrorists.

"I never got any fan mail from Osama bin Laden, and I don't really know how many books I sold in Afghanistan," the author replied.
Have read few of his books, and enjoyed them. First book i read of his is "Acts of war". This books talks about plot by kurds to create situations which would start an all-out west asia war which finally might end up in kurdistan. Got to know lot of ethnic groups, issues in west asia via the book. I actually got this book in city central library. I used to go weekend afternoon to read this book. I used to read till library closed at 7 in evening. Then wait till next weekend to continue from where i left it from the previous weekend.

But his book on indo-pak saga i.e. "Line of control" was not upto the mark i feel. None the less, a good writer. Mostly i will read his last book which will soon come out. RIP.
@W.G.Ewald @TrueSpirit @Razor @praneetbajpaie

Last edited by a moderator:

TrueSpirit

His books were some of the most exhilarating stuff I ever read...RIP :sad:

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
I own the collectors editions of his entire Jack Ryan series and read just about everything else. I would say he is my favourite author. RIP Tom, a rare talent has died this day.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles