Spanish Navy receives its largest warship 'Juan Carlos I'

Patriot

Country flag
Spanish Navy receives its largest warship 'Juan Carlos I' :: Brahmand.com

FERROL, SPAIN (BNS): The Spanish Navy has received its largest multi-role warship 'Juan Carlos I' from the country's leading ship-building company Navanita.

The amphibious assault ship, named in honour of Juan Carlos I, the present King of Spain, was handed over to the navy during a ceremony held at Navanita's shipyard in Ferrol on September 30.

The King Juan Carlos I, Defence Minister Carmen Chacón and other officials were present on the occasion, the Defence Ministry said in a statement.

The construction of the multi-role ship began in 2005 and it was launched for sea trials in 2008.

The 231 meters long and 32 meters wide warship has a water displacement of 27,079 tonnes. It can cruise at a maxmimum speed of 21 knots (39 km/h). The ship can carry a cargo of 26,000 tons and a crew of 243 persons.

In its amphibious role, the warship can carry and operate up to 30 aircraft, including medium and heavy helicopters.

'Juan Carlos I' will be the largest ever warship operated by the Spanish Navy in its history.

sandeepdg

Wow, this ship combines the abilities of a aircraft carrier and troop and armored carrier into one ! Simply, great.

Patriot

Country flag
Spanish Navy launches 3rd maritime action ship 'Lightening' :: Brahmand.com

MADRID (BNS): The Spanish Navy has received its third Maritime Action Ship (BAM) 'Lightening' from Navantia ship-building company.

The ship was launched at the El Astillero San Fernando-Puerto Real shipyard on Wednesday in the presence of the Spanish Navy Chief and other naval officials, the Navy said.

The BAM 'Lightening' is the third vessel built by Navantia under a 2006 contract with the Navy.

The Maritime Action Ship has been designed to carry out military missions against asymmetric or conventional threats by means of presence (deterrence), surveillance (prevention) and limited actions (neutralisation), according to the Spanish Navy.

With a length of 94 meters and water displacement of 2,500 tons, the new ships can cruise at a maximum speed of 20.5 knots (10.54 m/s).

The new vessels will be armed with light weapons and have rescue equipment to assist in catastrophes with medical facilities, cargo transport, means to fight sea pollution and a helicopter platform.

They will replace the 'Barceló', 'Anaga', 'Conejera', 'Toralla' and 'Descubierta' class patrol boats in the Spanish Navy.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles