Somali pirates using Pakistani arms: Indian Navy

Soham

DFI TEAM
Country flag
Sir,
Don't bother yourself by the trash(reports).
We all know its nonsense. :D

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
YAWN!...few Pakistani weapons were found with Somalian pirates so what? Nothing is going to change. First stop the Chinese and Thai fishing trawlers from going there and spoiling their livelihood then this mess might stop.

Ratus Ratus

Professional
YAWN!...few Pakistani weapons were found with Somalian pirates so what? Nothing is going to change. First stop the Chinese and Thai fishing trawlers from going there and spoiling their livelihood then this mess might stop.
The fishing from memory has stopped.
Unfortunately the problem has got too big for just something as simple as that.
It goes all the way to national governance and law and order in Somalia.
One big do-do of a problem.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
yes I just love this level of comment:
Regarding Pakistani role in Somali piracy, it is not just Pakistani arms but also people of Pakistani origin are thought to be involved in guiding the somali pirates.
Does the addition of 'i' change the whole meaning? :D. That's what I meant it in the first place and I didn't mean to implicate whole Pakistan in it. Absence of an 'i' has changed the whole meaning. Thanks for pointing out in a whole different way :D :wink:.

Sabir

DFI TEAM
If Navy has found something serious they should go through proper source instead of creating a media hype. Arms smuggling is the biggest illegal business (followed by sex traficing) and I heard Russian Arms constitute a large part after collapse of Soviet Union. So even if some pak made weapons found that leads to nowhere. The list of attacked ship doesnt show pirate's inclination to any particular country. Btw what is Somali government doing to curb piracy (certainly the pirates are not Ocenic creatures).
But one thing is true the network and backing of these pirates are good evident from the way they bergain with the shiping companies for ransom and transfer funds.

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
The fishing from memory has stopped.
Unfortunately the problem has got too big for just something as simple as that.
It goes all the way to national governance and law and order in Somalia.
One big do-do of a problem.
Sir,
When the Indian navy sank a pirate boat there was a Thai fishing company complaining. I must have gotten confused with it. Sorry for that.

Soham

DFI TEAM
Country flag
ratuS^2! You advise the bloody media not to confuse the commeners with information or misinformation? Right! Please read my post properly! i never said Oz is helping these pirates.Its your assumption. Your tank has gone empty! pardon me for that!
Stop posting nonsense. He's just giving another example to make you understand your senseless POV of Pakistani involvement in the piracy.

afriend

This article is ridiculous drafted.. i don't think pakistan would care that much to make sure that all indian ships are targeted. And as some of the members suggested, it can be procured from illegal factories in pakistan. I won't be reading too much into this article.

bhramos

Country flag
The Russian Navy arrested Somali pirate boat and released eight Iranian & 2 Paks??

The Russian ship «Admiral Panteleev» arrested Somali pirate boat and released eight Iranian from custody.

Large anti-submarine ship «Admiral Panteleev» arrested the pirate boat not far from Somali coast. The group of pirates tried to capture tanker with Russia equipage with their motor-launch. But they were not ready to armed attack, thought the pirate launch was drown and Somali pirates arrested, among them 8 Iranian and 2 Pakistani people were released.
Somali government cannot defeat pirates, capturing hostages and holding equipages to ransom is the long shillings of Somali inhabitants.
In 2008 OON permit foreign vessels to hunt in Somali Region. Russia sent several ships there: anti-submarine ship «Admiral Panteleev», salvage tug "SB-37", and tankers “Izjora” and “Irkut” keep vigil in Somali territorial waters.

The Russian ship «Admiral Panteleev» arrested Somali pirate boat and released eight Iranian from custody. :: Russia-InfoCentre

Could this be source for Involvement of Pakistanis with Somalia's Pirates..

bhramos

Country flag

The Russian ship «Admiral Panteleev» arrested Somali pirate boat and released eight Iranian from custody.

Large anti-submarine ship «Admiral Panteleev» arrested the pirate boat not far from Somali coast. The group of pirates tried to capture tanker with Russia equipage with their motor-launch. But they were not ready to armed attack, thought the pirate launch was drown and Somali pirates arrested, among them 8 Iranian and 2 Pakistani people were released.
Somali government cannot defeat pirates, capturing hostages and holding equipages to ransom is the long shillings of Somali inhabitants.
In 2008 OON permit foreign vessels to hunt in Somali Region. Russia sent several ships there: anti-submarine ship «Admiral Panteleev», salvage tug "SB-37", and tankers “Izjora” and “Irkut” keep vigil in Somali territorial waters.

The Russian ship «Admiral Panteleev» arrested Somali pirate boat and released eight Iranian from custody. :: Russia-InfoCentre

Could this be source for Involvement of Pakistanis with Somalia's Pirates..

bhramos

Country flag
sorry farugh these were arrested by Russian navy and the statement was also released by Russian navy, which is other then Indian claims,
please could you get me answer???

F.Faruqi

sorry to say, i never mentioned any Country nor any Govts.
i only said if it was true, what be next step of our neta's thats all.
i know in your country anything can be bought for money,
i mean Guns , N*** ,, so on...
as their are Pushthan tribal leaders sell everything , as they are not under control of Govt.
What is a Pushthan tribal leader? And you can't buy anything anywhere without money. If you use something other than money the word is "trade".

sorry farugh these were arrested by Russian navy and the statement was also released by Russian navy, which is other then Indian claims,
please could you get me answer???
I don't understand the question - could you please rephrase it?

bhramos

Country flag
u said their are no links between Pak and Somalia pirates,
now when Pak's nationals arrested in Somalia pirate boat, should we still think the same?

F.Faruqi

u said their are no links between Pak and Somalia pirates,
now when Pak's nationals arrested in Somalia pirate boat, should we still think the same?
Jenaab, I said there's no link between Pakistani Government and the pirates. You think because a small bunch of Pakistanis are doing something illegal the whole country should get blamed? And by the way, you're article isn't specific enough. It just mentions 8 Iranians and 2 Pakistanis were released. It seems to me that those 10 may have been hostages, rather than pirates.

Sabir

DFI TEAM
This report from www.marinbuzz.com-

Somali Piracy: Suspected Pirates are Also from Iran and Pakistan
3 May, 2009 Shipping
Russia’s Admiral Panteleyev (DDG-548) missile destroyer captured a boat with 29 suspected pirates off the coast of Somalia on April 28.
The suspected pirates in their boat were in possession of
• Seven Kalachnikov machine-guns
• Handguns of different calibres
• Equipment including satellite navigation devices
• Aluminum ladders for boarding
• Reserve tanks with fuel
• Large number of empty shells
Investigation has revealed that all the suspected pirates are not from Somalia and some are fishermen from Iran and Pakistan. It is not clear whether Iranian and Pakistani fishermen are working as navigators for Somali pirates for monetary gains.
Also Russia is not able to decide, where and how to proceed with these suspected pirates.

Update: May 05
Russian missile destroyer Admiral Panteleyev has freed eight Iranians who were part of the 29 suspected pirates. It is reported that Iranians were kept as hostages by the suspected Somali pirates for more than three months.

But it is difficult to say whether the the Pak nationals were involved in piracy or they were hostages. Somali pirates often keep hostages for several months while bergaining for ransom. But the report (may be about the same incident) was posted earlier in this thread mentioned only Iranians as hostages.Russian ship had problems to hand over the pirates to any regional nation as Russia doesnt have diplomatic relation with them. Language must be a problem for the interogation of the pirates.

another report probaly on same incident in RIA Novosti-

Somali pirates could face trial in Russia | Top Russian news and analysis online | 'RIA Novosti' newswire

Ratus Ratus

Professional
ratuS^2! You advise the bloody media not to confuse the commeners with information or misinformation? Right! Please read my post properly! i never said Oz is helping these pirates.Its your assumption. Your tank has gone empty! pardon me for that!
Let’s look at your two posts:

First post:
My guess seems to be correct. somali pirates have been attacking indian ships and ships containing indians,now and then some chinese,french etc..but we have not heard pakistani ships being targeted! Collusion of pakistan with somali pirates can not be ruled out!

Second post:
If it is so Ratus2^2 ,then why our media is reporting every now and then attacks of somali pirates on indian ships? i didnt understand who is doing the detailed check on which ship is having what crew? But you ahve not answered how many pakistani ships have been targetted in these 2005-2009 period? i am sure no Australian ship is a victim!

Your first post takes the strange bit of logic that since no Pakistan flagged vessel ahs been attacked there is collusion between Pakistan and the Somali pirates.
Your logic and your conclusion.

The matter of adding the Australian shipping is of no meaning to the discussion unless you are endeavouring to add the base logic you have used in your first post to Australian shipping.
Failing that why raise that issue. It does not score points just look limp.

All I did was apply you convoluted logic to the comment you presented. Your logic.

You harp on Pakistan flagged vessels not being attacked. OK now show how many such flagged vessels operate in that area.
Usual saying cough up or shut up.

As for my tank being empty. Don’t be so crass.

ahmedsid

Top Gun
Let this be Noted, that While addressing the Military Professionals in this Forum, Show Respect in your Language. We do not take lightly to Crass language being used against our Professionals. Let this be known to all!

Ratus Ratus

Professional
This report from www.marinbuzz.com-

3 May, 2009 Shipping
Russia’s Admiral Panteleyev (DDG-548) missile destroyer captured a boat with 29 suspected pirates off the coast of Somalia on April 28.
The suspected pirates in their boat were in possession of
• Seven Kalachnikov machine-guns
• Handguns of different calibres
• Equipment including satellite navigation devices
• Aluminum ladders for boarding
• Reserve tanks with fuel
• Large number of empty shells
Investigation has revealed that all the suspected pirates are not from Somalia and some are fishermen from Iran and Pakistan. It is not clear whether Iranian and Pakistani fishermen are working as navigators for Somali pirates for monetary gains.
Also Russia is not able to decide, where and how to proceed with these suspected pirates.

Update: May 05
Russian missile destroyer Admiral Panteleyev has freed eight Iranians who were part of the 29 suspected pirates. It is reported that Iranians were kept as hostages by the suspected Somali pirates for more than three months.

But it is difficult to say whether the the Pak nationals were involved in piracy or they were hostages. Somali pirates often keep hostages for several months while bergaining for ransom. But the report (may be about the same incident) was posted earlier in this thread mentioned only Iranians as hostages.Russian ship had problems to hand over the pirates to any regional nation as Russia doesnt have diplomatic relation with them. Language must be a problem for the interogation of the pirates.

another report probaly on same incident in RIA Novosti-

Somali pirates could face trial in Russia | Top Russian news and analysis online | 'RIA Novosti' newswire

Russia hands over Somali pirates to Middle East states
28 May, 2009, 18:48

It has been revealed that Russia released 29 pirates held off the Somali coast to Iran and Pakistan three weeks ago, saying there was no legal basis to try them in Russia.

Russia hands over Somali pirates to Middle East states - RT Top Stories

Russian Navy Ship Admiral Panteleev captured a pirate vessel in the Gulf of Aden, carrying 12 Pakistani nationals as hostages and later handed over these men to Maritime Security Agency Ship MSS Rehmat, on 8 May 2009. According to release of Maritime Security Agency, during the investigation, it was revealed that they were innocent Pakistani fishermen who were made hostage by Somali Pirates while fishing at High Seas. Subsequently, these personnel were brought to Gwadar on the same day where they were handed over to FIA staff for onward proceedings. What this release does not reveal is the fact that there were also Iranian sailors on board and the vessel is Iranian owned. The Russian MSA also did so far not confirm if the vessel was the SHADID implicated with the S/Y TANIT case.
Somali sea-shiftas killed Indian sailor

further down the page:
Then on April 28, the Admiral Panteleyev captured 29 suspected pirates off the Somali coast, after they had attempted to attack the Russian oiltanker, NS Commander, manned by a crew of 23 Russians. No question about the legality of Russian military action — and of the legal jurisdiction to try those who had been arrested. Some of them, it has subsequently been announced, turn out to be Iranian and Pakistani nationals, who had themselves been taken prisoner by the pirates. They have now been released

K Factor

A Concerned Indian
venkat said:
Let this be Noted, that While addressing the Military Professionals in this Forum, Show Respect in your Language. We do not take lightly to Crass language being used against our Professionals. Let this be known to all!
Forgive me, but I think this kind of fan-boyism and rudenes towards poeple whose business is to know these things (the MPs) warrants a harsher aprroach than a non-specific warning.

I have been noticing it as being on the rise recently, and this is degrading the quality of the forum.

Sorry for the off-topic post.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles