Solo trip in Nepal

amoy

Travelling in Nepal currently I'm not sure how to upload pics on the tiny phone. Just to share some quick feel from a Chinese perspective on my tour.

1) Nepali still seem to be obsessed with Caste and say intermarriage is discouraged. I got confused as they sound mixing up Caste with ethnic groups like calling Gorkha, Gurung, Pun etc. Castes (or I hv wrong concepts in this regard?). Some proudly claim to b Aryan (Caste Barmana), but frankly they dont look so aryan. (^_^)

Sent from my 5910 using Tapatalk 2

nimo_cn

Country flag

you can post the pictures via taptalk.

when you are replying the thread, there is a button below by pushing which you can save pictures on the server before it automatically quotes the link in the post.

Sent from my HUAWEI T8951 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

amoy

2) A Gorkha boy who ran a cafe with his mom in Pokhara told me he'd join Indian Army late Dec. He expected to bring home Rs.40k = US$400 apprx. monthly with a pension once retired after 17yrs of svc. Previously he applied for better paid Singaporean Police but failed.

In Pokhara there're schools and clean water projects that GoI donated to Gorkha villages. Many retired Gorkhas have good houses built back home.

kseeker

Retired
@amoy,

what are you doing in Nepal ? Business or pleasure or both :D

Last edited by a moderator:

amoy

3) A Gurung trekking guide, quite senior obviously, said though disgusted by politics he hoped the newly elected CA would make a new constitution and bring abt changes in education to make public schools also teach English (or he actually meant to teach all courses in Eng.?) like private schools.

He hoped the govmt'd change the pattern that American and European firms controlled tourism while Nepalese worked for peanuts. He also complained road construction damaged many trekking trails.

amoy

5) what're differences btwn Chinese Japanese and Koreans?

"I can easily tell them apart" Kumar a money changer plus tourist agency boss boasted, "Chinese talk fast. Japanese and Korean speak very slowly. Chinese often eagerly push how much this how much that and like to wave hands like wings to indicate 'gliding' Japanese and Koreans usually have only a sojourn during their 'golden rush'holidays to hv a bit sightseeing then leave. they're not as interested in paragliding trekking kayaking rafing as Chinese".

There're always exceptions. On Annapurna trekking trails I met two Japanese, one in 70s the other 60s. the elder proudly asked me to tell his age.

"A Korean pilot was dead in paragliding the day after u did" Kumar told me once we met again back in Pokhara, "He was sent by the Korean glider manufacturer to examine gliders. .. Then the mishap"¦"

Last edited:

kseeker

Retired
5) what're differences btwn Chinese Japanese and Koreans?
amoy, what are the actual differences between Japs, Chines and Koreans ?

I can differeenciate between the Jap, Korean and Chinese scripts however, if 3 folks from each country stand infront of me, it's really hard to differentiate and tell who they are actually.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
@amoy,

The people of Nepal are Nepali and not Gorkha.

Gorkha is a District of Nepal, from where the initial Nepali troops came from to join the British Indian Army Regiments, which were given the nomenclature Gorkha Rifles.

The Gorkha district is as below:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

I can differeenciate between the Jap, Korean and Chinese scripts however, if 3 folks from each country stand infront of me, it's really hard to differentiate and tell who they are actually.

Northern Han

Southern Han

Enlarge the photos and see the eyelids.

The Northern Han does not have a 'double' eyelid.

Japanese

Korean

While this is a generalisation, but can work as a thumb rule sort of.

1. Koreans
Koreans generally have smaller eyes without double eyelid with higher cheekbones and noses.
Koreans are generally taller than Southern Chinese, Japanese and Vietnamese.

2. Japanese
Japanese generally have larger eyes and many of them have snaggle-teeth. Japanese women tend to put on thick makeup so that they look palely white.
Their behaviour is different as well. They are more reserved and avoid physical contacts.

3. Chinese
China is a huge country and it is not a single-ethnic(ethnically homogenous) country as they are in Korea and Japan. Northern Chinese and Southern Chinese look quite different and they speak different languages which are not mutally intelligible.
Southern Chinese are definitely shorter than Northern Chinese and they have larger eyes and darker skin colors. Southern Chinese look more like Southeast Asians.
Mainland Chinese people don't dress well and less fashionable than Taiwanese, Koreans or Japanese.

4. Vietnamese
Vietnamese people are noticeably different from Koreans, Japanese and Northern Chinese because they are Southeast Asians. They are generally shorter and darker. They've got larger eyes too.

amoy

6) "Why r Chinese so noisy?" a hotel owner who mainly targets "high end" visitors asked me "more and more my customers r Chinese nowadays. unlike Europeans and Americans they talk loudly".

I guess voice decibel is an indicator. Generally Chinese talk louder than the others. Japanese possibly the most courteous followed by Koreans. Chinese more individualistic, more assertive and straight forward. Such generalization may be surperficial but sometimes helps.

kseeker

Retired
Thanks @amoy however, I was in fact looking for the facial features etc which @Ray sir had elaborated.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Thanks @<a href="http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/member.php?u=2926" target="_blank">amoy</a> however, I was in fact looking for the facial features etc which @<a href="http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/member.php?u=261" target="_blank">Ray</a> sir had elaborated.
The Chinese talk loudly, or so it appears, since the sound of each syllable carries a different meaning even if the letters (alphabets [they have pictures instead of alphabets] are same)

The Mandarin language has 21 consonants and 16 vowels. They can be combined together to create more than 400 mono-syllabic sounds.

Check this out

Wrong tone can cause confusion.

'I want to ask you a question' with a wrong tone turns out to be 'I want to kiss you' !

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Except for the Chinese Govt, Chinese are a great and loveable people.

Everything, except the Govt of China and their draconian ways and system, is a great experience and most enjoyable and loveable!

Great chaps and girls they are.

Totally fascinating and great!

angeldude13

Lestat De Lioncourt
Country flag
My kaamwali bai is a nepali woman and she tells horrible stories about maowadis.
She was kidnapped and forcefully married to a maowadi until she ran off from a maowadi camp.
Now she is in India and works as a house maid and her hindi is terrible.
Also she told me that nepali from kathmandu hates Indian people.

amoy

Now she is in India and works as a house maid and her hindi is terrible.
Also she told me that nepali from kathmandu hates Indian people.
as a matter of fact for a while I hesitated to write of Nepali views of Indians since it is a bit itchy on DFI an Indian forum.

7) Mixed feelings towards Indians/India

On one hand many Nepalis r beneficiaries of visa free / free border regime with India for employment (like in Darjeeling or Gorkha recruitment) or business. Most vehicles on roads of Mahindra or Tata. Many understand Hindi , love to watch Indian TV channels and Bollywood. On the othr hand most often talked of Indians contemptuously and depicted India as "a bully" and "poor".

Apart fm historical issues perhaps there're some more imminent motives for the bitterness (such as economic or demographic). "They're Indians" Neplalis referred to fruit pedlers,"Indians are dirty."

"Most Indian visitors come r big belly business men on religious pilgrimage" Kumar boss of a tiny tourist agency said "They dont glide or trek".

Last edited:

angeldude13

Lestat De Lioncourt
Country flag
as a matter of fact for a while I hesitated to write of Nepali views of Indians since it is a bit itchy on DFI an Indian forum.

7) Mixed feelings towards Indians/India

On one hand many Nepalis r beneficiaries of visa free / free border regime with India for employment (like in Darjeeling or Gorkha recruitment) or business. Most vehicles on roads of Mahindra or Tata. Many understand Hindi , love to watch Indian TV channels and Bollywood. On the othr hand most often talked of Indians contemptuously and depicted India as "a bully" and "poor".

Apart fm historical issues perhaps there're some more imminent motives for the bitterness (such as economic or demographic). "They're Indians" Neplalis referred to fruit pedlers,"Indians are dirty."

"Most Indian visitors come r big belly business men on religious pilgrimage" Kumar boss of a tiny tourist agency said "They dont glide or trek".

The biggest reason is that there filthy and greedy king gift away some of nepals land to India and now poor nepalis are pissed off and want there land back.
These pissed of nepalis are mainly from kathmandu or northern nepal.
For the bold part- Are you sure you didn't made this up???
Because southern nepalis look like biharis and UP'iites.
Actually hindi accent of southern nepalis is also same as biharis.

and please answer my question about that chinese girl singing "nega su kay pon pon".
I've mentioned you in that thread :happy:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles