Software used by the Armed Forces

spikey360

Crusader
Country flag
Could anyone please shed some light on which software is used by the armed forces of India, who writes them and what are the overall features of these programs.
  1. Operating system of army battle simulator computers
  2. Program used for battle simulation
  3. Programs used in tanks to calculate target position and turret position
  4. Software of indigenous fighters like LCA
  5. Software in Ballistic missiles
  6. Software in AAMs and SAMs
  7. Software used by the Strategic Forces and NCA
  8. Programs written to control and operate radars
  9. Programs to control locomotion of submarines/ships
Obviously, this list is not exhaustive. Anyone with unclassified/declassified knowledge about these things, kindly post.

spikey360

Crusader
Country flag
In most TV programs where the armed forces are seen to be using computers, you see an all familiar default winXP screen, sadly. Not even BOSS linux.

DingDong

Country flag
Could anyone please shed some light on which software is used by the armed forces of India, who writes them and what are the overall features of these programs.
  1. Operating system of army battle simulator computers
  2. Program used for battle simulation
  3. Programs used in tanks to calculate target position and turret position
  4. Software of indigenous fighters like LCA
  5. Software in Ballistic missiles
  6. Software in AAMs and SAMs
  7. Software used by the Strategic Forces and NCA
  8. Programs written to control and operate radars
  9. Programs to control locomotion of submarines/ships
Obviously, this list is not exhaustive. Anyone with unclassified/declassified knowledge about these things, kindly post.
Good question, I want to know this too. @Yusuf and @DingDong?
DRDO, Various departments of IITs, Indian Institute of Science, Indian Statistical Institute etc are all directly involved in such projects. Indian Armed forces employ highly educated and brilliant Engineers and Developers, graduates from IITs/NITs.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
@Yusuf I've watched a simulation software for tank battle in an army camp visit. There was virtual Battle field display on screen and the chair on which the man to be trained sits, moves according to conditions of virtual tank in virtual battle field. Some armoured vehicles also had partially touch screen controls and capabilities to contact with others. :)

archie

Country flag
is BOSS part of the plan current or near future?? I am sure Microsoft OS was in use at some point of time so was Symantec security program..
I am guessing Govt will have access to full source code before using that program in the critical places (search about Symantec source code leak)

spikey360

Crusader
Country flag
is BOSS part of the plan current or near future?? I am sure Microsoft OS was in use at some point of time so was Symantec security program..
I am guessing Govt will have access to full source code before using that program in the critical places (search about Symantec source code leak)
Access to source code, yes, it would be ok. But any security minded person would compile their own binaries, so should the military. Unfortunately there are no reports of BOSS being used in government agencies, let alone military. In this age of cyber warfare, the idea that a military is not in control of its source codes, is appalling.
@pmaitra Any thoughts on the topic?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles