Software related Thread

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
There are very less system viruses these days, more web-based malware. So I use Microsoft Security Essentials for protection from most USB-drive based viruses (as that's all the system viruses that make it to me):

MalwareBytes AntiMalware for on demand malware removal (very effective):

And Spybot S&D for removing tracking cookies and some scareware/jokes (sensitive, but bloated):

If there's a suspicious file the scanner can't catch, I use VirusTotal - Free Online Virus and Malware Scan (online multi-scanner).

So the solution is 100% free forever. None of those require that I buy a license, and the PC is squeaky clean.

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
@tarun,
i use avast antivirus. can you throw some light on this? for my benefit.
It's nice, but comes with too short update intervals and uses slightly more resources. Has a nice email scanner though. In itself, it can't provide protection against everything. A free anti-virus should be backed by anti-malware and anti-spyware software too. Since the latter two run on-demand, they don't affect system resources. A pair of 10-minute scans every alternate weekend does the trick.

ppgj

It's nice, but comes with too short update intervals and uses slightly more resources.
the updates happen automatically on a daily basis. sometome twice in a day.

Has a nice email scanner though.
don't know how to configure this.

In itself, it can't provide protection against everything. A free anti-virus should be backed by anti-malware and anti-spyware software too. Since the latter two run on-demand, they don't affect system resources. A pair of 10-minute scans every alternate weekend does the trick.
used to have 'malwarebytes'. should i bring it back? also used to have spybot and adaware.
so should i put some back?

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
the updates happen automatically on a daily basis. sometome twice in a day.

don't know how to configure this.

used to have 'malwarebytes'. should i bring it back? also used to have spybot and adaware.
so should i put some back?
I know it's automatic, but it can be nagging at times. Email scanner works with clients such as Outlook or Thunderbird, by scanning anything that moves through common POP3/SMTP ports. Yes that would be a good idea.

prahladh

Respected Member
McAfee Site Advisor ( free & great & must ). I would recommend this since there are sites that download malware etc.., or make changes to browser security settings. NOTE: It might slow down your browsing experience.

Avast ( free & Great ). If you don't want to spend a dine on an anti-virus software then this is what you are looking for.

MalwareBytes ( free & great )

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
the thing i love about Firefox is how you can easily get videos from you tube and other online sites onto your hard disk.

for the uninitiated this is how to do it stepwise
1) watch any video on you tube
2) go to documents and settings in your "C" drive
3) open the folder of you username
4) show hidden files and folders
5) open the local settings folder
6) open application data folder
7) open mozilla folder
8) open firefox folder
9) open profiles folder
10) open uqze37hx.default folder
11) open cache folder
12) look for large files typically in the range of 10-15mb named something like
AF04D999d01
13) open with gom player (it can be found here GOM Player - Download)
14)enjoy :)

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
the thing i love about Firefox is how you can easily get videos from you tube and other online sites onto your hard disk.

for the uninitiated this is how to do it stepwise
1) watch any video on you tube
2) go to documents and settings in your "C" drive
3) open the folder of you username
4) show hidden files and folders
5) open the local settings folder
6) open application data folder
7) open mozilla folder
8) open firefox folder
9) open profiles folder
10) open uqze37hx.default folder
11) open cache folder
12) look for large files typically in the range of 10-15mb named something like
AF04D999d01
13) open with gom player (it can be found here GOM Player - Download)
14)enjoy :)
That's a very complex way of doing it. I use RealPlayer SP (it comes with a browser plugin which works on all browsers):

After downloading, it appears in RealPlayer's Media Library where it's automatically sorted, and stays there. You can watch, and also burn DVDs out of it.

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
I use Firefox as well as Opera but default is Firefox sometimes it causes trouble then i use Opera for that period but ultimately Firefox. I like NetVideoHunter addon which is available on Firefox's official website, add this ad don to your firefox, watch any video online, click on the blue button on the lower right corner of the window then save the video !! simple !!!
You need not to play full video just let it catch the link then close the video...

Rahul Singh

Country flag
I am not a fan of AVAST. It has got one very teething problem, it deletes all the infected files instead of cleaning and fixing. This virtually ends up screwing down the OS.

atleast_a_bronze

Country flag
I'm not an expert in Anti Virus Systems.
Just from my experience, my system got screwed while using Norton AV.
Was caught unaware as the NAV was updated regularly using the automatic live updates facility. I was forced to reformat my system. Since then, I have taken Avira Antivirus Software which is free. This is backed up with the Super AntiSpyware Sofware (freeware too).
I haven't had a virus scare till date.

Rahul Singh

Country flag
I'm using Cat computer's Quick Heal for the last 3 years. It costs almost 1000 INR or ~$20 for one year subscription. My experience with this Anti-Virus could be called great. Although not 100% safe, its real time scanning, detection, cleaning, fixing and then reporting is admirable. Best feature of Quick-Heal is 'Native Boot Scan'. This feature enables the user to scan his/her PC when OS is in native stage.

After saying all these i have one thing to admit and that is i have to play safe meaning i do not plug-in any suspicious USB drives, avoiding visiting malicious sites and all that.

I feel this discussion may help me and others to zero in on a better Anti-Virus.

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
I am using Avast, it's good, and it doesn't eat too much of RAM. I have used Kaspersky which was highly efficient but it took more RAM than Avast.
And for malewares i use Malewarebytes' anti maleware and it's excellent.

Rahul Singh

Country flag
@ StealthSniper
Is that your voice in? Very impressive tone, i must say. BTW, i guess the accent is american.

A.V.

guys any idea how bit defender antivirus is i am thinking of getting a licence since my current one of mcAfee is about to expire

Country flag
i have used Norton,Mcaffee, spysweeper,kapersky,AVG, and only kapersky came close to being 100% that's the one i use now along with Trend micro. The one that gave the most problem was Mcaffee where if the computer clock is reset for any reason it throws the whole program off and messes up the updates, I had to erase and reinstall mcaffee many times only to finally completely reformat when it could not get rid of Vundo virus.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles