Sniper - Cowardly assassins or surgical soldiers?

Wrik

Come On Guys the Sniper is really one of the most effective weapons.:sporty55::twizt: it is really what we call a cunning death as it doesn't let the man realise whom the sniper is being targeted that he will jst die thgh he may b surnded by Armed guards.

jakojako777

"Sniper - Cowardly assassins or surgical soldiers?"

For me the best snipers are those which cry crocodile tears while they aiming at the enemy soldiers !
And EVEN BETTER if they cry so LOUD that enemy can hear them!
Those are definitely THE BEST!
:sporty55:

Huh you agree with me? I knew it!:thank_you2:

sandeepdg

Snipers are extremely lethal and important facet modern land warfare, no way anybody call such a person a coward who operates either solo or in a two man team deep inside the enemy territory for days dodging all sorts of hostile elements and living by his instincts in an alien and dangerous land ! They are extremely effective in today's anti-terror scenario wherein a good sniping team can take out the top leaders of a terror organization and scare the operatives of that headless organization into surrender.

Officer of Engineers

Professional
Hey, kid, how long have you served? Be advised, I WAS UNPROFOR! and I was an Officer which means that your snipers never got me.

Officer of Engineers

Professional
Snipers are extremely lethal and important facet modern land warfare, no way anybody call such a person a coward who operates either solo or in a two man team deep inside the enemy territory for days dodging all sorts of hostile elements and living by his instincts in an alien and dangerous land ! They are extremely effective in today's anti-terror scenario wherein a good sniping team can take out the top leaders of a terror organization and scare the operatives of that headless organization into surrender.
Kid, you know absolutely nothing about snipers. Don't pretend to know and don't pretend you know what they do.

F-14

Global Defence Moderator
sir whats your take on snipers

Officer of Engineers

Professional
They are my eyes and ears ... even though they are supposed to be my fingers. A sniper's primary weapon is his knowledge of identiiication. His 2ndary mission is to eliminate his target of identiication, either through calling in an artillery strike (his primary choice) or through his weapon, his last choice.

tharikiran

Country flag
"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter. "
--Ernest Hemingway

Guess, that says it all.

F-14

Global Defence Moderator
but OoE sir wouldn't a High value target like a corps commander taken out efficiently taken out by a sniper

Officer of Engineers

Professional
I was asked not to post a snarky retort. I will comply.

Snipers are not well liked. They never were and they never will be. What they do is close to legal murder as you can get ... and they do it without hesitation. While that is something to be respected, it is NEVER something to be liked, something especially admitted by snipers themselves.

What they do is essential ... and they get far too close to the legal line as anyone can get ... a line that regular soldiers will never be allowed even close to.

There are things between officer and sniper that is done without being said but by the same token, it is done at the expense of the sniper's soul.

To allow something as cheesy as Hemmingway diminishes what we asked of these men. They are good men even when we ask the worst of them.

tharikiran

Country flag
Marine Corps Sniper Carlos N. Hathcock II
Carlos N. Hathcock II

On May 20th, 1959, at 17 years of age, Carlos N. Hathcock II fulfilled his childhood dream by enlisting in the United States Marine Corps. His ability as a marksman was soon recognized by the instructors on the rifle range at Camp Pendleton where he was undergoing recruit training. Later, while based in Hawaii as a member of Company E, 2nd Battalion, 4th Marines, Carlos won the Pacific Division rifle championship. Following his assignment in Hawaii, Hathcock was transferred to Marine Air Station, Cherry Point, North Carolina, where he quickly found himself shooting competitively again. This time he set the Marine Corps record on the "A" Course with a score of 248 points out of a possible 250, a record that stands today. The highlight of his competitive shooting career occurred in 1965 when Carlos out-shot over 3000 other servicemen competing to win the coveted Wimbledon Cup at Camp Perry.

This achievement led to his being sought out in Vietnam in 1966 to be part of a newly established sniper program. After his training was completed Carlos began his new assignment. Operating from Hill 55, a position 35 miles South-West of Da Nang, Hathcock and his fellow Marine snipers renewed a Marine tactic which had been born in the islands of the Pacific in World War II. Within a short period of time the effects of the Marine snipers could be felt around Hill 55. Carlos rapidly ran up a toll on the enemy that would eventually lead to a bounty being placed on his head by the NVA.

As a result of his skill Sergeant Hathcock was twice recruited for covert assignments. One of the them was to kill a Frenchman who was working for the North Vietnamese as an interrogator. This individual was torturing American airmen who had been shot down and captured. One round from Carlos' modified Winchester Model 70 ended the Frenchman's career. On another occasion Sergeant Hathcock accepted an assignment for which he was plainly told that his odds for survival were slim. A North Vietnamese general was the target, and the man died when a bullet fired by Carlos struck him from a range of 800 yards. Hathcock returned to Hill 55 unscathed. In one incredible incident an enemy sniper was killed after a prolonged game of "cat and mouse" between Carlos, with his spotter, and the NVA sniper. The fatal round, fired at 500 yards by Hathcock, passed directly through the NVA sniper's rifle scope, striking him in the eye.

Hathcock would eventually be credited with 93 enemy confirmed killed, including one Viet Cong shot dead by a round fired from a scope-mounted Browning M-2 .50 caliber machine gun at the unbelievable range of 2500 yards.

In 1969, during his second tour of duty in Vietnam, Carlos was badly burned while rescuing fellow Marines from a burning Amtrack. The other Marines and Carlos had been riding in the vehicle when it ran over an anti-tank mine. Despite the severity of his wounds it would ultimately be the ravages of Multiple Sclerosis (MS) that would bring Hathcock's extraordinary career to an end. In 1979 he was made to retire on 100% disability due to the advancing stages of the disease.

Gunnery Sergeant Hathcock has spent subsequent years instructing police tactical units in "counter-sniper" techniques. In 1990 a book entitled Marine Sniper, by Charles Henderson, was published, documenting the exploits of this one-of-a-kind Marine. Regretfully Carlos has yet to receive a penny of royalties from sales of the book, which has been produced both in hard cover and paper-back.

As this brief history is written he is confined to a wheel chair, struggling against the disease which he knows is terminal. Nonetheless he attempts to get to the police rifle range as often as possible. He still loves the crack of the rifles, the smell of gun powder as it drifts across the range, and the company of good men striving to be the best at what they do. The indomitable Carlos N. Hathcock II is indeed one of the "Few and Proud."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVJONj95so4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiReoU_Edo4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jmg9VHjlx1M

Officer of Engineers

Professional
What I love about the Hathcock story is that while everyone was concentrating on his kills, no one, except the gunners, took notice that he directed fire onto an entire NVA regiment.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles