Singapore PM backs Permanent UNSC seat for India

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Singapore PM backs India for Permanent UN Seat

Hailing India's growing influence and stature, Singapore Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong on Sunday pitched for its permanent membership of an expanded UN Security Council, saying New Delhi has much to contribute to the stability and progress of Asia. "As India continues to grow, so will its influence and stature," Lee said at a luncheon hosted by him in honour of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and his wife Gursharan Kaur.

He said Singapore "looks forward to India playing a more active role in global affairs. We support India's permanent membership in an expanded UN Security Council."

Observing that India has "much to contribute to the stability and progress of Asia", Lee said, "India is an integral part of the regional architecture in Asia and is an important ASEAN dialogue partner."

He described Singapore-India relationship as comprehensive, mutually beneficial and in excellent shape and expressed confidence that the partnership will continue to strengthen and grow in the years ahead.

Singh responded by saying that India places high value to bilateral relations and that it was the start of partnership with Singapore that initiated India into opening up economic ties.

SHASH2K2

unless P5 agrees to security council expansion these support wont matter . These are only a feel good factor nothing much . :(

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
I am coming to believe that a seat would indeed not be favorable to us if we are to remain neutral atleast officially.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
My objective was not to be happy about the seat. Long time ago Chinese boasted about how Singapore is on their side due to more Chinese. This just gets them back on solid earth from Mao's la la land. :D

A.V.

The thing is every delegate when they visit they promise , what matters finally is during trying times.
just 2 days back china was speaking sweetly to mms and just todaythey sent a warning for venturing out in south china sea.

These days diplomacy is above all these signature talks

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Must wait and watch!

That apart, the Chinese reaction to India immediately after all that soft soaping will make others realise that China bossman and country talk with forked tongue!

nimo_cn

Country flag
My objective was not to be happy about the seat. Long time ago Chinese boasted about how Singapore is on their side due to more Chinese. This just gets them back on solid earth from Mao's la la land. :D
When did we do that?

You don't hesitate to make up things just to serve your point, huh? That is a very bad habit.

China never boasted about Singapore being on Chinese side, do some research on the history of China-Singapore relationship before making a joke of yourself.

By the way, I am glad people are realizing that China has a say in this issue.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
When did we do that?

You don't hesitate to make up things just to serve your point, huh? That is a very bad habit.

China never boasted about Singapore being on Chinese side, do some research on the history of China-Singapore relationship before making a joke of yourself.

By the way, I am glad people are realizing that China has a say in this issue.
On this forum in reply to one of my posts, it was stated that Singapore was on China's side!

China has a say because she is one of the 5 in the UNSC, which was given to China because India lobbied for the same!

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
ASEAN countries want dragons' power to be counterbalanced by a combination of usa and india

no smoking

Country flag
ASEAN countries want dragons' power to be counterbalanced by a combination of usa and india
Just as South Asean countries want elephant's power to be counterbalanced by a combination of usa and china!

arya

Country flag
well every one want india as an permanent seat but except India

TTCUSM

India will NEVER EVER get a UNSC permanent seat. UN itself is an outdated institution.
I once saw a comment on Foreign Policy magazine that said that it's contradictory for the leader of the NAM to also want to be part of global institutions like the UN.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles