Singapore appoints Sikh as its Army chief

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

He is a Jangi Bhapa.

Or the businessman class.

He is not a jatt sikh.

The Singapore chap could be a Jatt Sikh as has been brought out by Tronic.

There are non Jatts with the name Gill?

Last edited:

Blackwater

He is a Jangi Bhapa.

He is not a jatt sikh.

i never said he is jat sikh. I said he is our babar sher

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
well yuvraj singh is Hindu Punjabi Jat not Sikh.
Yuvraj Singh's father is a Sikh Jatt but his mother is a Punjabi Brahmin. There are Hindu Jatts (not Jaats) in Jammu and Punjab region but they are one in a million literally.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag

He is a Jangi Bhapa.

He is not a jatt sikh.

Sir I have pointed out this misconception before too.
http://defenceforumindia.com/showthread.php?t=4393&p=57255&viewfull=1#post57255
http://defenceforumindia.com/showthread.php?t=4393&p=57304&viewfull=1#post57304

1st Jhangis / Multanis are those who speak Jhangi / Multani (Seraiki). Its usually used for Punjabi Hindu Aroras who speak the language/hail from there.

2nd Bhapas are exclusively Khukrain Sikhs. Khukrain castes are Anand, Bhasin, Chadha, Kohli, Sabharwal, Sahni, Sethi and Suri. Bhapa means brother in Punjabi and it was used in a derogatory by 1st Punjab CM Kairon to refer to Sikh Khukrain refugees from West Punjab (something to do with resettling)

3rd Gen Makkar would be an Arora not a Bhapa.

4th Aroras would be by varna Kshatriya, by place of habitat Urban and by business mercantile.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
It is the unofficial Army classification of all non jat, ramgarhia, ramdasia Sikhs.

it is not Jhangi, it is Jungi i.e. warlike.

Blackwater

Yuvraj Singh's father is a Sikh Jatt but his mother is a Punjabi Brahmin. There are Hindu Jatts (not Jaats) in Jammu and Punjab region but they are one in a million literally.
Phaaji tusi great ho

Tronic

Sir I have pointed out this misconception before too.
http://defenceforumindia.com/showthread.php?t=4393&p=57255&viewfull=1#post57255
http://defenceforumindia.com/showthread.php?t=4393&p=57304&viewfull=1#post57304

1st Jhangis / Multanis are those who speak Jhangi / Multani (Seraiki). Its usually used for Punjabi Hindu Aroras who speak the language/hail from there.

2nd Bhapas are exclusively Khukrain Sikhs. Khukrain castes are Anand, Bhasin, Chadha, Kohli, Sabharwal, Sahni, Sethi and Suri. Bhapa means brother in Punjabi and it was used in a derogatory by 1st Punjab CM Kairon to refer to Sikh Khukrain refugees from West Punjab (something to do with resettling)

3rd Gen Makkar would be an Arora not a Bhapa.

4th Aroras would be by varna Kshatriya, by place of habitat Urban and by business mercantile.
I don't think people actually go into such details. If someone has one of those last names as you pointed out for Khukrains, or if they speak Pothari Punjabi, they are called Bhapas. Than there are Sikhs who came from the Khyber-Pakhtunwa region whose first language was Pashto and hence speak Punjabi with a different accent (different from Pothari) too are called Bhapas. And I do not think that they can be really classified into those castes/tribes you pointed out because many have last names which don't belong to any caste/tribe (atleast that I know of). I knew a Sikh girl in my school years whose family last name was Pirzada. No affiliation with any caste/tribe on that list. Furthermore, there is also a practice among many "Bhapa" families of marriage between cousins, as the Muslims across the border do; this to me is not a trait of any of the listed tribes, as I think those "bhapa" families may be converts from Islam who still carry forward some of that culture; therefore, the "bhapa" tag I think is used on a much wider scale to label a much wider population.

Tronic

Sir, last name manipulation is quite rampant in Punjab. Many of the lower rung people have adopted Jatt names. Gill being the most commonly adopted. It has become a joke that even comedy tv skits talk of Bihari migrants adopting names such as Gill, Dhillon, Brar, Virk, etc. Also, there are plenty of singers using Jatt names despite having Mirasi or Chamar backgrounds. Therefore, its never surprising when you see Amrita Virk singing songs such as "Putt Chamara De" (we're sons of Chamars). :p

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I am from the Mahars and they too use Maratha names.

I believe that nowadays, they are also using Brahmin names.

Let all be happy!

Tronic

I am from the Mahars and they too use Maratha names.

I believe that nowadays, they are also using Brahmin names.

Let all be happy!
That is true sir. Though I must differentiate that Brahmins et all, is primarily a caste and you will find Brahmins from North to South, East to West, spread out among various different ethnicities. Jatts, Tarkhans, Rajputs et all, are tribes which are more area-bound and ethnically similar with each of the clans tracing back it origins to certain people and places. So its more ironical when they change last names to these clans as they quite literally loose their own origins and ancestry.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
what classification are the Ahluwalias?

I believe the Ahluwalia missle captured Lahore and beyond.

Is Walia, Valaya (like that fashion designer) and Ahluwalia the same thing?

pmaitra

Tronic

what classification are the Ahluwalias?

I believe the Ahluwalia missle captured Lahore and beyond.

Is Walia, Valaya (like that fashion designer) and Ahluwalia the same thing?
Sir, the Ahluwalia's are from the Kalal clan which is classified as Khatris (Kshatriya) caste of Hinduism. Walias are also Khatris, but the difference is that Ahluwalia's are almost all Sikh, and they get their name from Sardar Jassa Singh Ahluwalia. Ahlu, is a village near Lahore, it is the ancestral village of Jassa Singh and where he got his name from. 'Ahluwalia' just means, (the one from the village Ahlu). And yes, the Ahluwalia Misl captured Lahore and Jassa Singh was the first one to unite all the Jathas into one army, the Dal Khalsa, and than effectively use it against the Afghans.

Last edited:

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Sir, the Ahluwalia's are from the Kalal clan which is classified as Khatris (Kshatriya) caste of Hinduism. Walias are also Khatris, but the difference is that Ahluwalia's are almost all Sikh, and they get their name from Sardar Jassa Singh Ahluwalia. Ahlu, is a village near Lahore, it is the ancestral village of Jassa Singh and where he got his name from. 'Ahluwalia' just means, (the one from the village Ahlu). And yes, the Ahluwalia Misl captured Lahore and Jassa Singh was the first one to unite all the Jathas into one army, the Dal Khalsa, and than effectively use it against the Afghans.
Khatris ("tribe") are different from Kalals. Walias would be Aroras. Khatris and Aroras are Kshatriyas as per Hindu Varna. Not sure if Kalals are Kshatriya though.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles