Sikh players of Indian basketball team forced to remove turbans

ITBP

NAGPUR: The Indian basketball team had a memorable outing in the recently concluded 5th Fiba Asia Cup in Wuhan (China), as they scripted a historic win over China and gave a scare to World Cup qualifiers Iran, Jordan and the Philippines.

But what soured the campaign was the racial discrimination and humiliation which the team's Sikh players were subjected to by the organisers of the tournament.

Two Sikh players - Amritpal Singh and Amjyot Singh - were asked to remove their turbans before the start of the match on Saturday, July 12. They were stopped from entering the court moments before India were to open their campaign against Japan.

Read here more- Sikh players of Indian basketball team forced to remove turbans - The Times of India

Unnacceptable.

Rules says players cant wear any thing thing that may hurt others such as garments extra cloths etc.

Turban is made by cloth, is it painful?

:mad: :mad:

I dont care what happens to Sikh-Canadian or Sikh British or Sikh-American.

But cant ignore when these stupid things happen to our own country's players.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Maybe they were worried that if the ball got deflected off a turban, then the opponents would not be able to judge the trajectory and the ball would get basketed in India's favour.

Those who do not understand religion cannot understand the significance of religious symbols and accoutrements.

Last edited:

Blackwater

well u can not play basketball with turban on ur head, sikh player should wear patka while playing any game

rizwan78

Country flag
well u can not play basketball with turban on ur head, sikh player should wear patka while playing any game
Phaa g, in india Basketball has been played since 100 years , question is why now they can't be played with a turban wearing sardar ?

Voldemort

Country flag
Phaa g, in india Basketball has been played since 100 years , question is why now they can't be played with a turban wearing sardar ?
They can play in India. This was an international event being played in China.

Blackwater

i think u r getting confused between patka and turban. i have never seen a sikh playing sports such as football,kabaddi,hockey,cricket,TT or basketball with turban

Blackwater

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
This is a very sad incident. it reminds me of how Indian soldiers in the British army were not allowed to wear tilaks,caste marks or turbans. They were forced to follow the so called "civil" British dress code. This was one of the reasons of Sepoy mutiny. I hope the governing body of basketball looks into this matter and takes appropriate steps. We will now get top see how fair and just they really are in dealing with this matters.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles