Sikh man beaten up in US, arrested for keeping Kirpan

Blackwater

Washington: An elderly Sikh man, in his early 70s, was allegedly beaten up by his neighbour in New Jersey following an altercation and was later arrested by the police because of keeping 'Kirpan', a Sikh article of faith.

The incident happened on July 26, nearly 10 days before the shooting at Oak Creek Gurdwara in Wisconsin, United Sikhs, a Sikh advocacy group said yesterday.

Giving details of the incident, the group said that Avtar Singh, a gas station owner and one of the founding members of Glen Rock Gurdwara in New Jersey, went to his neighbouring shop owned by Edward Koscovski to request him to move his truck that was parked and blocking the entrance of his gas station.

The request turned into an altercation in which Avtar Singh was brutally assaulted, it said.

"I kept on yelling that please let me go but nothing moved Edward from hitting me. When I turned around using all my strength, Edward smashed my face, broke my teeth and kept punching me in the stomach. He grabbed my Kirpan and threw it at his attendant."

"The attendant removed the Kirpan from the mian (cover) and hid the mian (cover) in a room inside. He also snatched my phone and put it out of sight," Avtar Singh said.

Upon arrival at the scene, the police arrested the 72-year-old Avtar Singh and charged him with possession of a weapon (Kirpan), United Sikhs said.

He was interrogated before anyone attended to his injuries and then taken to the hospital and was handcuffed to the hospital bed during his stay at the hospital. Mr Singh was then taken to the police station and jailed till his family members filed his bail application, it said.

United Sikhs said that it contacted the Civil Rights Division and the Community Relations Service Division in the US Department of Justice, the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), as well as the State of New Jersey Attorney General's office for investigation and is following up on Avtar Singh's case to be heard next Thursday. :frusty::frusty::frusty:

Sikh man beaten up in US, arrested for keeping Kirpan | NDTV.com

sob

Mod
Country flag
Wise are the ways in which the cops behaved. A man in his 70s beaten up with teeth broken is arrested and then handcuffed to the hospital bed. What the Fck is going on?

SGPC needs to educate the people in US otherwise these unfortunate incidents are going to happen more and more.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
In US you can have semi automatic weapon but cannot have Kirpan, which does not have sharp blade. :shocked:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
In US you can have semi automatic weapon but cannot have Kirpan, which does not have sharp blade. :shocked:
That is what is the beauty of laws.

It is an ass!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

This is a pectoral Cross.

While many Christians, both clergy and laity, wear crosses, the pectoral cross is distinguished by both its size (up to six inches across) and that it is worn in the center of the chest below the heart (as opposed to just below the collarbones).

As dangerous as a sledgehammer!

Arrest these chaps!

In the US, maybe they will do it too! :pound:

This is also dangerous

Now US, go arrest this chap. He has a dangerous weapon in his hand and his pose is indeed an indication of his dangerous intention!

As it is he was a loose cannon released on the world!

:rofl:

Last edited:

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
I don't understand. How can a blunt edge 5 inch Kirpan be ruled as a license regulated weapon?
Seeing a Golf club or baseball bat,they would be more dangerous anyday.
Besides, what made the Cops conclude the 70 year old beaten up man as a rowdy who should be handcuffed even when lying on Hospital bed?
What about the other guy was the beater in first place, he really did quite enough to be sacred didn't he? So cops won't touch him.

If there's another version of this story, please post. Otherwise this is beginning to look like a very ugly incident. Ugly for Cops too.

Regards,
Virendra

parijataka

Country flag
/\/\/\
I hv seen in US a 19 year old chained to a hospital bed after killing people while drunken driving, no suspects are not allowed to escape unlike in our country where influential suspects are given time to destroy evidence/flee the country/arrested after religious festival etc etc.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
/\/\/\
I hv seen in US a 19 year old chained to a hospital bed after killing people while drunken driving, no suspects are not allowed to escape unlike in our country where influential suspects are given time to destroy evidence/flee the country/arrested after religious festival etc etc.
What happens if the chained chap has a itch below?

Nurse comes and does it for him?

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
I grew up in New Jersey, spent my teenage years there. I can tell you the police in that state can be prejudiced against people from a different town, much more against a foreigner.

However, Mr. Singh should have called the police at the time Mr. Koscovski refused to move his truck. Maybe you can stand in the street and argue in India without consequence, but in the US it's usually going to end in a physical outcome, Just a fact of life here.

Mr. Singh should file a civil damages suit against his assailant and a civil rights suit against the police.

trackwhack

I grew up in New Jersey, spent my teenage years there. I can tell you the police in that state can be prejudiced against people from a different town, much more against a foreigner.

However, Mr. Singh should have called the police at the time Mr. Koscovski refused to move his truck. Maybe you can stand in the street and argue in India without consequence, but in the US it's usually going to end in a physical outcome, Just a fact of life here.

Mr. Singh should file a civil damages suit against his assailant and a civil rights suit against the police.

Funny explanation for being violent and intolerant. In the US we are like that. Don't argue or we will smash your face in. Call the cops instead. So a fundamental human right - that of free speech, if practiced in a street in the US can lead to a bloody nose.

Anyway back on the topic. I dont know why NRI's have the illusion that they will get the same level of respect or will be treated as equal to whites in the west. Even blacks do not get fair treatment and they outnumber us by 50:1.

If you live in the west, please be ready to be treated as scum. Please be ready to be looked at as a drain on their country. Please be ready to accept that most Americans look at you with contempt and pity. So if you try to fck with them, they will do the only thing they know well. They will put to good use the beef they eat. The term second class citizen did not just appear out of nowhere.

If self esteem and self respect is important to you, go back home.

p.s. this is not some racist rant. I've been to and lived in nearly every major western country. These are just observations.

W.G.Ewald

Professional
That is what is the beauty of laws.

It is an ass!
Coverture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The phrase "the law is an ass" was popularized by Charles Dickens' Oliver Twist, when the character Mr. Bumble is informed that "the law supposes that your wife acts under your direction". Mr. Bumble replies "If the law supposes that ... the law is a [sic] ass—a idiot. If that's the eye of the law, the law is a bachelor; and the worst I wish the law is that his eye may be opened by experience—by experience."

W.G.Ewald

Professional
Funny explanation for being violent and intolerant. In the US we are like that. Don't argue or we will smash your face in. Call the cops instead. So a fundamental human right - that of free speech, if practiced in a street in the US can lead to a bloody nose.
It's called reality. You want to exercise your "fundamental human right" of free speech, be aware that the government is obliged to respect it, but your neighbor is not obliged to listen.

trackwhack

It's called reality. You want to exercise your "fundamental human right" of free speech, be aware that the government is obliged to respect it, but your neighbor is not obliged to listen.
That's my point. Your system is a farce, when your people are not in sync with the principles of the nation. Sorry, it is not me that is generalizing on this behaviour. It is you.

W.G.Ewald

Professional
That's my point. Your system is a farce, when your people are not in sync with the principles of the nation. Sorry, it is not me that is generalizing on this behaviour. It is you.
What people of any country consistently display the stated higher principles of their nation in daily life? When there is a shortfall in behavior, the courts (the system you refer to) are there to resolve the issues. It is you utopians who are out of sync. I'm surprised the likes of you and Messiah can survive on the streets anywhere. People who make a habit of telling others they are always wrong usually end up with a bloody nose.

Nobody here is going to follow the Glen Rock incident as it plays out in the courts anyway. There will be an initial outcry about injustice, then the next outrage will supplant it. So it goes on DFI.

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
I don't agree. As if the neighbor wasn't enough, even the system treated the old man badly.
The usual suspect phenomenon.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles