Should We Buy US Equipment? US Strips IAF Plane

Vikramaditya

Country flag
Its very risky to buy USA war equipment....We have seen what happen to pakistan after being USA allies for almost 60 years and not to forget they are USA's front line allies in WOT..
And USA already stripping our War machine equipment... Eg. C130j.

pmaitra

It is well known how the US block sale of 'sensitive' technology and also blacklists companies trading with companies that violate self-righteous US laws. US equipment come with too many strings attached. Would it have been to difficult to design an enlarged version of the Ilyushin-76 air-transporter? Now this C-130J has already become part 'white-elephant'. This is ridiculous!

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
I wouldn't say that this C-130J has much effect but yes, the MRCA SHOULD NOT GO TO USA at any cost. Even if we have to pay slightly high like for Rafale or Typhoon, then go for either of them. American equipment is just too unreliable and if they press the kill switch called sanctions over some sinophile president in the future, 1/4th of our air force will be on the ground.

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
US will market its military equipments as 21 st century highly advanced assets,put pressure on goverment to buy those stuff which manmohan singh will readily accept and then strip all advanced important technologies present and the end product will be a very costly obsolete world war 2 equipment, with zero after sales support(spares) at the time of its requirement.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
It is well known how the US block sale of 'sensitive' technology and also blacklists companies trading with companies that violate self-righteous US laws. US equipment come with too many strings attached. Would it have been to difficult to design an enlarged version of the Ilyushin-76 air-transporter? Now this C-130J has already become part 'white-elephant'. This is ridiculous!
Not really dude. ACM Naik said that the "sensitive" equipment that US stripped is critical for US air force and military to operate but isn't needed in IAF. That means we're safe from combat perspective UNTIL we blunder into buying US fighters. I don't know what's so great about SH that many Indians are dying for. So far the US has used them only against Serbia, Iraq and countries that are no match for US in general and that too its a naval fighter. Barring its radar, it has nothing so special about it that it has any special edge over other more modern and fierce models like Rafale and Typhoon.

This Obama-worship of some of our fellows should stop. That man already left us in cold in Af-Pak case in Turkey last time. Fortunately there was Russia to turn to and US plan of talking fell apart. Otherwise our $2 billion would have been wasted in Afghanistan thanks to NATO's chickens.

Country flag
There are too many conditions for these weapons, if we sign this or if we agree to that while shelling out billions. I doubt Pakistan gets this many conditions on the FREE weapons USA gifts to them. Just look at the HARPOON missiles that were allowed to be modified by Pakistan without one comment from the state department. I doubt we could do that with any purchased item of US origin.

Last edited:

Anshu Attri

Country flag
i think this news is very helpful in the sense that, it aware us about MMRCA.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
I would even recommend against buying toothbrush from them let alone military hardware.

Some Indians are all too willing to bend over backwards for not so good usa equipment.

maomao

Veteran Hunter of Maleecha
Country flag
And there was one who suggested we should go for something as complex and sensitive as F-35 instead of MMRCA to counter China?:emot100:

SHASH2K2

And there was one who suggested we should go for something as complex and sensitive as F-35 instead of MMRCA to counter China?:emot100:
completely agree with you. We shouldn't go with America for MMRCA . Euro-fighter consortium offer us best possible technology transfer and thats what we need now. We can be partner of many future upgradations as well.

Last edited:

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
That was already known until india signs defence related pact india wont get any avionics and weapons with c-17 or even wit p8i.those planes are just nothing but stripped down boieng planes of no use.except to do fly past on republic day and fly around the first family.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
^^ I don't think it is that serious dude. IAF is not that stupid to take paper models like that into arsenal. P-8I is said to have same level as P8A-- maybe slightly less but enough for us. C-17 and C-130 will be used for troop transport.. not as AWACS platforms that it needs all those critical sensitive equipment. Surely an ACM as fierce and particular as Naik won't accept such trash. Even the dumb DM Anthony doesn't challenge his displeased remarks.

The trick by IAF is smart.. most of our troop transport and secondary stuff is going to USA to keep them quiet and still pretend as good partners and stuff. But critical stuff where they can choke us down is still not going to them. It will always be either Russia or Europe or domestic made. Since MiG-35 is surely not winning, either Rafale or Typhoon are coming in IAF.

Parthy

Air Warrior
If Obama is against outsourcing to IT industry in INDIA then why not we put out money in indigenous products or with other trusted partners.. Anyhow we face serious delay's in indigenous projects, lets go with trusted partners like Russia or France..

They (US) tell that they wanted India to be their strategic partner and do junk like this..

Hope IAF has negotiated for these instruments during price evaluation....

sandeepdg

^^ I don't think it is that serious dude. IAF is not that stupid to take paper models like that into arsenal. P-8I is said to have same level as P8A-- maybe slightly less but enough for us. C-17 and C-130 will be used for troop transport.. not as AWACS platforms that it needs all those critical sensitive equipment. Surely an ACM as fierce and particular as Naik won't accept such trash. Even the dumb DM Anthony doesn't challenge his displeased remarks.

The trick by IAF is smart.. most of our troop transport and secondary stuff is going to USA to keep them quiet and still pretend as good partners and stuff. But critical stuff where they can choke us down is still not going to them. It will always be either Russia or Europe or domestic made. Since MiG-35 is surely not winning, either Rafale or Typhoon are coming in IAF.
Great point, mate ! Absolutely the same point that I wanted to make too. We should seriously follow this policy to not allow the Americans to hijack our critical weaponry's capabilities in times of need. And side-by-side keep them happy, by giving them orders or non- critical systems !

Agnostic_Indian

Country flag
I would say cismoa is the worst kind of agreement which america wants india to sign.
cismoa means what ever communication / commands goes through american equipments, they can access the data. It is a big threat to our national security. I will not forgive any govt or any holy cow who signs this agreement.

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
As INDIA is developing lots of technology indeginiously there is no need of foreign equipment. I think that HAL is working on the techmology that IAF requires inside the C130J. As we are developing our own powerful radars along with Russia, INDIAN officials would have thought the american tech is of no use. It is better to have our own designs and tech on C130J's supplied to us.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
^^ It is not that easy to have stuff of our own on anything American made. This includes C-130s and C-17s. To modify anything that is American made with local stuff means that Americans don't get the profit nor the political edge; this is something they don't even allow Israelis and British. Therefore, in general terms, anyone having anything American has to take permission from US companies and their government to modify it domestically. Which means that even if we're going to have our own communication system in this, we will have to ask Obummer and Co. for their official permission.

While LM and Boeing are all too pleased to give anything away, US government has some serious issues about this since any such modification's news out that they've said yes without political clout would mean a final nail in their own product's coffin. For example, if US easily agrees to our own communication systems fitted on C-130Js, it means that in future a country like Indonesia can simply buy the basic C-130 from US without its version of expensive Com system which might be 10 times costlier than what we Indians make, and simply order from India what we made. That way US companies lose money and at the same time, the political muscle to arm-twist a client nation further diminishes.

Knowing that US is desperately trying to keep its significance up in presence of other countries these days, getting Pentagon to agree to our demands on fitting our domestic systems would be tricky from where I see this.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles