Should Indian Army Upgrade MI-35 ?

Which is the Best Solution for MI-35 ?

• Upgrade these Machines for better performance.

Votes: 27 64.3%
  • Use these machines in their present configuration.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Phase them out with new replacements.

Votes: 13 31.0%

• Total voters

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
In exercise, IAF MI-35 transport PARA SF jeeps under sling and carry troops too ..

It also provide fire-support, This is common for some time now, AH-64 cannot do the same MI-35 but for strike force`s need AH-64 is better suited ..
for a fire and scoot role the AH-64 will be much better than the akbar, but for roles where an assault team insertion needs to be carried out while keeping OPFOR reinforcements at bay(snatching a high value terror target for example) the akbar can do the role of the brute force troop truck while the AH-64 can play the role of the sniper.

Ky Loung

actually both helicopters are designed to complement each other on the battlefield, the AH-64 can destroy any armor and mobile SAMs from a safe distance , then the Akbar can swoop in to decimate any infantry based opposition(by virtue of being ridiculously more armored than an Apache the Akbar is inherently more resistant to small arms fire and even machine gun fire.The Apache's can provide cover while the Akbars land and disgorge Spec ops troops to hold key posts and positions.
Don't India have a dedicated tactical troop transport helo, India version of the US Blackhawk? To me it tries to do everything, a jack of all trades but master of none. If India don't have a dedicated tactical troop transport than it best to keep Hinds in the inventory until one is develop.

Hinds are good looking helo tho.

hitesh

Don't India have a dedicated tactical troop transport helo, India version of the US Blackhawk? To me it tries to do everything, a jack of all trades but master of none. If India don't have a dedicated tactical troop transport than it best to keep Hinds in the inventory until one is develop.

India use MI17 V5 for dedicated tactical troop transport

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag

We use the Mi-17 in regular conditions, but again my point was concerning the insertion of small heavily armed Special forces teams into areas defended by enemy small arms fire, the Mi-17 in such a case is a sitting duck and will not take even 50% of the punishment a Mi-35 can take and keep flying.So for regular troop insertions the Mi-17 can do fine but for zones with a high probability of enemy opposition i would prefer the Mi-35.

Ky Loung

We use the Mi-17 in regular conditions, but again my point was concerning the insertion of small heavily armed Special forces teams into areas defended by enemy small arms fire, the Mi-17 in such a case is a sitting duck and will not take even 50% of the punishment a Mi-35 can take and keep flying.So for regular troop insertions the Mi-17 can do fine but for zones with a high probability of enemy opposition i would prefer the Mi-35.
I can only speak for the USA and not on an official or expert level. Our air assault school is most likely different from India version. The Blackhawk can provide close airsupport if needed but in most cases they drop the load really really fast and get out. The open door on the Blackhawk reflect our air assault doctrine, get the troop on the ground as fast as possible.

The quick drop quick pickup mindset gone to the extreme with MH-6 Little Bird. The MH06 is fast/nimble and design to drop 4 Special Op guys off fast. It also allow repelling from it like the Blackhawk.

https://www.google.com/search?q=spe...a=X&ei=jS4fVO6ZF4q3ogS3goHwCg&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

Chinook is our version of MI-17. Blackhawk and Chinook play a different roll tho.

Last edited:

Zebra

Country flag
Mi-24 Film 1/2 The warrior

Mi-24 Film 2/2 The story continues

Last edited by a moderator:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles