Should Indian Army have its Own Stryker concept ?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
WOW! I can't believe I have thought up of a solution. The engine could be changed and brought up to the front (heard when the engines is in the front it adds to the protection), extra armor and room in the aft!

But on a practical scale this will never happen, right ?
If you notice On first page, DRDO 4X4 is partially based on BRDM..

SPIEZ

Country flag
DRDO Experience:

Its a fact that DRDO did manufacture such vehicle and showed in 2004 DEFEXPO..

DEFEXPO 2004 - Part 1

As it seems DRDO have knowledge and experience of making such vehicle this task can be complete in time line or before..

Yes ! They certainly look alike, why can't this platform be extended further to support troops ???
Also a V-hull was added to a similar vehicle M117. I believe the same platform can be extended to have a V shaped hull.

If possible can you say why this was rejected ?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
why can't this platform be extended further to support troops ???
Also a V-hull was added to a similar vehicle M117. I believe the same platform can be extended to have a V shaped hull.

If possible can you say why this was rejected ?
OFB did what was told that`s how things works..

OFB studied the casspir MPV when bought from SA, And its known abt the need and Imported price tag, So the order goes for manufacturing Similar MPV in India, When this DRDO 4x4 was proposed to Paramilitary at that time MPVs were operational and proved good against mines and were good on ground..

Further money spending was not in option for DRDO 4X4, But its always their for export..

Now, If someone think same as me can say the requirements and things would be done right away, But that`s just me.. :)

SPIEZ

Country flag
OFB did what was told that`s how things works..

OFB studied the casspir MPV when bought from SA, And its known abt the need and Imported price tag, So the order goes for manufacturing Similar MPV in India, When this DRDO 4x4 was proposed to Paramilitary at that time MPVs were operational and proved good against mines and were good on ground..

Further money spending was not in option for DRDO 4X4, But its always their for export..

Now, If someone think same as me can say the requirements and things would be done right away, But that`s just me.. :)
Sir this is OT! But aren't the MPVs only used for CT operations ?

Are they actually deployed for troop ferrying elsewhere like for the BSF, or IA in any formations ?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Sir this is OT! But aren't the MPVs only used for CT operations ?

Are they actually deployed for troop ferrying elsewhere like for the BSF, or IA in any formations ?
IA MPV mainly operate in J&K,Specifically for CT operation
Paramilitary have their own MPVs..

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
So that means no quick reaction vehicles for the IA in war scenario's :(
Their are quick reaction units consist of all arm ( Heavy mech, Heavy arty, Infantry ) in Thar, Gujarat & Punjab and new strike corp is now raised in eastern fronts somewhat which same eqipment but lighter, But their is no concept i proposed here..

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
You need alot more than just uparmoured 4X4s. You have to have something filling out your cavalry brigade, then you need armoured troop carriers, then tactical vehicles and heavy tubed artillery. A French Light Armoured/ Marine Brigade has...

Cavalry = AMX-10RCR
LAV = VAB
LTV = VBL
ARTY = CEASAR, TRF1 155mm, VAB 120mm mortars mount/dismount
Drones = DRAC

It is highly mobile but you have to bring the firepower with it.

SPIEZ

Country flag
Kunal ji can you elaborate briefly on the functions that the light mech has to perform, the roles it has to play, formations etc i.e. what a soldier expects from the light mech!

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Kunal ji can you elaborate briefly on the functions that the light mech has to perform, the roles it has to play, formations etc i.e. what a soldier expects from the light mech!
It Main purpose is to support Infantry the foot soldiers, Its role to create a force that can move infantry to the battlefield quickly and in relative security, Increased combat power by providing armor protection, a vehicle-borne weapon system to support nearby solider in need, The system may comes in various forms like 120mm Mortar carrier, 100mm+30mm IFV and Anti-tank, Dedicated APC with Ambulance variant and Re paring variants, It may attach to every crop formation in form of Brigades..

These Vehicle are deign to go any where in country from J&K to N.E so does to Thar and Punjab..
Transporting them is easy as they are small and light with moderate Armour and high fire power..

Killswitch

Country flag
The BMP 2's used by the IA are badly outdated. The BMP's cannot survive in the modern battle field. They are too lightly armored, and having fuel in the rear doors makes them potential death traps.

I hope the government has some kind of plan that isn't going to take twenty years to replaces the BMP's.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
The BMP 2's used by the IA are badly outdated. The BMP's cannot survive in the modern battle field. They are too lightly armored, and having fuel in the rear doors makes them potential death traps.

I hope the government has some kind of plan that isn't going to take twenty years to replaces the BMP's.
The thread is not about BMP or regular Mech forces..

Read the title again, Read the First page, First Post..

SPIEZ

Country flag
It Main purpose is to support Infantry the foot soldiers, Its role to create a force that can move infantry to the battlefield quickly and in relative security, Increased combat power by providing armor protection, a vehicle-borne weapon system to support nearby solider in need, The system may comes in various forms like 120mm Mortar carrier, 100mm+30mm IFV and Anti-tank, Dedicated APC with Ambulance variant and Re paring variants, It may attach to every crop formation in form of Brigades..

These Vehicle are deign to go any where in country from J&K to N.E so does to Thar and Punjab..
Transporting them is easy as they are small and light with moderate Armour and high fire power..
If that is the case, can the Light mech perform without mechanized troops like Tanks and IFV ? Or do they use formation of all three namely the tanks, IFV and light mechs ?

If possible could you further differentiate the role of the IFV, between that of the tanks and light mechs !

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
If that is the case, can the Light mech perform without mechanized troops like Tanks and IFV ? Or do they use formation of all three namely the tanks, IFV and light mechs ?

If possible could you further differentiate the role of the IFV, between that of the tanks and light mechs !
Firstly a IFV/ICV counts under Mech forces, Now what is Light Mech ?

Light Mech is same as a Regular Mech force but lighter in terms of weight so does firepower..
But
My concept have more firepower than a regular Mech force but light enough to carry around similar to stryker force..

These Vehicles will be operated by Mech troops attached to Regular Infantry Units, The force can act on his own against enemy Infantry and light Armour, It depends when and where they need the MBT cover and Air..

IFV : Infantry fighting Vehicle used against Infantry and have some capabilities against Tanks..
Tanks: Mainly against similar opponent, Its purpose to dominate enemy area with lots of Armour and heavy firepower.
Light Mech: Deign for fast mobility with Armour for protection and firepower to deal with Infantry..

My concept: Fast mobility with Armour on and with Heavy firepower anywhere in India..

Last edited:

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Light mech force should be transportable by existing tactical transports.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
So basically you are asking if India should copy the model of Armee de terre. It is a rapid effects Army.

HeinzGud

Country flag
for Sri Lankan army; light mech infantry played a crucial role..... it was monumental in breaking LTTE defense line in Jaffna peninsula which stood for countless attacks by regular infantry units throughout the 2006.....

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles