Should Indian Army have its Own Stryker concept ?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Should Indian Army adopt Light Mech concept ??

Idea of IA structure

IDEA:

My Idea is to have a single Light Mechanized Brigade in each corp or at least two in each command..
This Light Mech infantry will have 4x4 vehicles which is compact enough to go any where in India from mountain to desert its more like Indian version of stryker forces of US,I was thinking IA only deployed Mech Inf with only Armour and mostly on western sector, Heavy Mech vehicles Like BMPs are harder to maintain and drink lots of fuel and they have limitations coz of their size and weight, Hence Indian Army use MPVs and some armored vehicle like rakshak in COIN areas which partially suit but not well organize like a mech inf vehicles, Now having a mech force like stryker force which have independent MGS, FIRE-SUPPORT, AMBULANCE, APC, ANTI-TANK, MORTAR CARRIER, COMMAND CARRIER, ARV will preform far better with combination of infantry and light air-support against insurgency as well as Enemy Infantry..

CONCEPT:

This force will offer same or more of a heavy Mech inf who use Heavy tracked vehicle like BMP But some trade-off is less Armour ( BUT WHAT NEEDED IS PROTECTION FROM 7.62NATO AND RUSSIAN ALSO 14.4MM HMG ROUNDS ) But air transportability, Can cope up in COIN areas, And gives all the pleasures of a full mech inf,This Mech force insure deep thrust in both offensive as well as defensive situations..

Stryker Force Introduction:

The plan, dubbed "Objective Force", would have the army adopt a flexible doctrine that would allow it to deploy quickly, and equipped for a variety of operations.[4] An early phase of the plan called for the introduction of an 'Interim Armored Vehicle' which was intended to fill the capability gap between heavy and lethal, but not easily deployable vehicles (such as the M2 Bradley), and easily deployed, but lightly armed and protected vehicles,The Stryker's hull is constructed from high-hardness steel which offers a basic level of protection against 14.5mm rounds on the frontal arc, and all-around protection against 7.62mm ball ammunition. In addition to this, Strykers are also equipped with bolt-on ceramic armor which offers all-around protection against 14.5mm, armor-piercing ammunition, and artillery fragments from 152mm rounds,The Stryker family of vehicles fill a role to create a force that can move infantry to the battlefield quickly and in relative security. Brigades that have been converted to Strykers have primarily been light, or, in the case of the 2nd Cavalry Regiment, unarmored Humvee-based cavalry scouts. For these units, the addition of Strykers has increased combat power by providing armor protection, a vehicle-borne weapon system to support each dismounted squad, and the speed and range to conduct missions far from the operating base.Stryker units seem to be especially effective in urban areas, where vehicles can establish initial security positions near a building and dismount squads on a doorstep.The Stryker relies on its speed and communications for the majority of its defense against heavy weapon systems. It is not capable of engaging heavily armored units, relying on communication and other units to control threats outside of its classification. One variant is armed with anti-tank missiles.

INDIAN ARMY REQUIREMENT:

We would love to have same roles and types also specs but Indian terrain is much complex so does infrastructure for a 8x8 or even 6x6, As i seen things above i assume the best option is 4x4, Indian Army should have a Vehicle of 4x4 which offers ,MGS, IFV, APC, AMBULANCE & all other what stryker force offers, Also keeping in mind we need huge sums of these Vehicles for our Huge Army, So what i propose is Indigenous manufacturing of the hull and Engine transmission etc, But Weapon like Big gun etc can be imported or licensed produced..

Here a example of 4x4

Cadillac Gage Commando v- series:

MGS System, Vehicle is mounted with a low pressure 90mm cannon..

IFV with a 20mm cannon

Dedicated APC

Mortar carrier 120mm/82mm.

Same way Vehicle have Ambulance variant as well as command, ARV, It just i dont have enough pics of it..

SIMBA Variants:

IFV variant..
DRDO Experience:

Its a fact that DRDO did manufacture such vehicle and showed in 2004 DEFEXPO..

DEFEXPO 2004 - Part 1

As it seems DRDO have knowledge and experience of making such vehicle this task can be complete in time line or before..

Also do note OFB makes lots of wepions which simple needed to be mounted in such vehicles which includes:

1. BMP turret ( IFV/APC variant ) on this vehicle like on BMP2
2. Command and control developed by DRDO can be installed in this vehicle Like on BMP2
3. ATGM mode we can mount NAG atgm MODULE like on BMP2
4. 120/82mm Motar can be mounted like on BMP2

Members give your Opinions.. :namaste:

Last edited:

Pintu

Well I think we can use BTR-90 as platform.

Regards

JBH22

Regards
Best thing is to take the BTR-90 or BTR-80 and develop our own variants something like we did with BMP-2 (mortar carrier) etc...
As it is we still lag in mechanised infantry,Infantry gear etc.

plugwater

IA already has plans for it. Remember F-ICV? they are making half of them wheeled.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Best thing is to take the BTR-90 or BTR-80 and develop our own variants something like we did with BMP-2 (mortar carrier) etc...
As it is we still lag in mechanised infantry,Infantry gear etc.

Regards
BTR-90 is excellent platform but Indian terrain specially J&K and N.E dont allow big vehicles, But Big enough of a 4x4 small truck..

Also we need 1000s of these..

IA already has plans for it. Remember F-ICV? they are making half of them wheeled.
Na, the plan is to replace BMP2, I am talking LIGHT mech inf in mass which can be deployed any where..

Just like Styker force, Bradly is for other purpose just like BMP2..

Last edited:

plugwater

Na, the plan is to replace BMP2, I am talking LIGHT mech inf in mass which can be deployed any where..

Just like Styker force, Bradly is for other purpose just like BMP2..
Tracked one is to replace BMPs but i am talking about wheeled.

If Tata or Mahinda can make 4 X 4 means it is not that difficult to make 3 X 3 version of it.

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
Very good analysis and maybe I am not so much qualified for a valid opinion but why for the army, and not in the para military force?
What will be the benefit of such division other then COIN and urban warfare? after all army always is intended to keep away from urban warfare.

I remember some where I have heard of it.

Last edited:

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh

If Tata or Mahinda can make 4 X 4 means it is not that difficult to make 3 X 3 version of it.
What's a 3x3?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

If Tata or Mahinda can make 4 X 4 means it is not that difficult to make 6x6 version of it.
The tracked once are wheeled once 2 in 1..

Anyways that was my analysis based on a report..

Indian terrain where we have fights the places are to short for even a 5ton truck, take eg of stallion..

All what fits in small 4x4 small size armored vehicles which offers all in different variant like the one i posted above..

I am not so much qualified for a valid opinion but why for the army, and not in the para military force?
What will be the benefit of such division other then COIN and urban warfare? after all army always is intended to keep away from urban warfare.

I remember some where I have heard of it.
They can if they want..

In Urban, Armour work ok, take examples of Israeli, they use M113 and other in Urban with Infantry..

plugwater

The tracked once are wheeled once 2 in 1..

Anyways that was my analysis based on a report..

Indian terrain where we have fights the places are to short for even a 5ton truck, take eg of stallion..

All what fits in small 4x4 small size armored vehicles which offers all in different variant like the one i posted above..
IA must be insane to make an ICV half tracked and half wheeled. It was bad reporting IMO.

Four companies from india are making 20 ton ICV how much difficult its going to be to make a 5 ton vehicle!

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
IA must be insane to make an ICV half tracked and half wheeled. It was bad reporting IMO.

Four companies from india are making 20 ton ICV how much difficult its going to be to make a 5 ton vehicle!
I guess Reporter got confused and didnt know the exact term..
Check Post no #19

http://defenceforumindia.com/indian-army/23293-indian-army-$10-bn-combat-vehicle-order-3.html

And second, I was too thinking 5 tons, MGS variant may be a bit heaver but can be carried under MI-17..

hitesh

very dengerous idea of letting light skinned armour to lead on in front ,can lead to a man slaughter if caught in wrong position

Global Defence

New threads

Articles