Should India sign CISMOA ?

Rebelkid

buying anything from USA means some freaking pact ... Rather not sign the Cismoa.... They are not the only supplier of modern weapons...

Country flag
There was an article awhile ago that claimed for India to acquire P-8i's India had to sign an satellite intelligence sharing agreement with USA. There was no follow up to this but I hope Indian govt is not sacrificing national security while spending a fortune at the same time.

StealthSniper

I don't know about these agreements, but from what I have read and studied from technical documents, we will most likely have bugged P-8i and C-130. On top of that, America will be able to monitor where our American equipment is deployed at all times, and I wouldn't be surprised if the equipment will have to be checked by American technicians every year from time of purchase. If you add all the pieces together, it doesn't take long to get a picture that America is "containing" India more and more as India buys more American weapons. Yes, getting technology has a price, but I think freedom is more important than "downgraded export American hardware".

neo29

US should use its brains. India is on the verge of becoming an indigenous industry in military hardware. It wont be long when India will stop any import of Hardware. India being such a lucrative defence market and time running out to sell as much hardware as possible before it becomes indigenous, US must understand business point of view and sell India hardware without strings coz they wont get such opportunities down the line. Opportunity gone is Opportunity Lost.

Sri

Refusing CISMOA, LSA not to Impact Operational Effectiveness says Indian Air Force Ch

At a CII event in New Delhi, Indian Air Force Chief P.V. Naik has confirmed that in-case the Indian Government chooses not to sign the Communication Interoperability and Security Memorandum of Agreement (CISMOA) and the Logistics Support Agreement (LSA) with the United States, the operational effectiveness of the Indian Air Force will still remain unaffected.

* Context of these comments are India's purchase of C-130 J Hercules aircrafts, C-17 heavy-lift aircrafts and the ultra-light howitzers through the foreign military sales route

* United States has been pressing India to sign these agreements for developing closer defence ties

* CISMOA entails the laying down of protocols for interoperability and assuring the security of communication between the armed forces of the two countries

* Logistics Support Agreement (LSA) would allow the armed forces of the two countries to procure fuel and supplies from each other's facilities

* Answering another query, Naik said the air force was getting simulators for all aircraft to be procured by it in future as they help in reducing the training cost

"Government had asked us about our opinion on these agreements and we told them that this will not make any substantial difference to our operational capabilities"

-- Air Chief Marshal P.V. Naik

Defence journalist Shiv Aroor had reported last week in his personal blog LiveFist that India was being denied the following equipments if the pacts remained unsigned:

* AN/ARC-222 Single Channel Ground and Airborne Radio System (SINCGARS) - Manufactured by Magnovox and administered by the US Air Force

* KV-119 IFF Digital Transponder (Mode 4 Crypto Applique) - Manufactured by Raytheon and administered by the US Air Force

* TACTERM / ANDVT Secure Voice (HF) Terminal - Administered by the US Air Force

* VINSON KY-58 Secure Voice (UHF/VHF) Module - Administered by the US Air Force

* Rockwell-Collins AN/ARC-210(V) SATCOM Transceiver's COMSEC/DAMA embedded RT is replaced with an RT that has no COMSEC/SINCGARS

Source: http://www.india-defence.com/reports-4635

chex3009

Country flag
I don't know about these agreements, but from what I have read and studied from technical documents, we will most likely have bugged P-8i and C-130. On top of that, America will be able to monitor where our American equipment is deployed at all times, and I wouldn't be surprised if the equipment will have to be checked by American technicians every year from time of purchase. If you add all the pieces together, it doesn't take long to get a picture that America is "containing" India more and more as India buys more American weapons. Yes, getting technology has a price, but I think freedom is more important than "downgraded export American hardware".
I completely agree with u sniper. The strings attached with any US Hardware is just not gettable. Why can't they grow up and tell themselves that any tech given to India would not be fallen into wrong hands.

Patriot

Country flag
Strategic Strokes

By Neelam Mathews
New Delhi

Security Pact Remains U.S.-India Sticking Point

The Indian air force is exploring upgrade options for U.S. military aircraft that will be handed over without key capabilities in the absence of an agreement governing those systems.

The U.S. is withholding several subsystems until India ratifies the Communication Interoperability and Security Memorandum of Agreement, which governs current and future transfers of intelligence systems to India. India is not ready to commit to the security pact and instead is willing to take slightly less capable U.S. systems initially, expecting to backfill the missing features later.

The strategy will be tested when the Indian air force starts taking delivery of six Lockheed Martin C-130Js next month. They are the first U.S.-built aircraft the country has acquired in 40 years.

Taking the military transports with some features mis*sing is controversial, but service leader Air Chief Marshal P.V. Naik says "it will not make a substantial difference to our operational capabilities."

The aircraft will arrive on the heels of last week's state visit by President Barack Obama, who backed India's long-sought goal of becoming a permanent member of the United Nations Security Council.

Obama also removed Indian companies and government organizations from the U.S. Entities list of restricted exports, a clause that has been blamed for holding back India's development of major missile systems and space programs.

"We welcome the decision by the U.S. to lift controls on export of high-technology items . . . to India and support India's membership in multilateral export control regimes such as the Nuclear Suppliers Group," Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said. "We have agreed on steps to expand our cooperation in the space, civil nuclear, defense and other high-end sectors."

The Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO), Defense Research and Development Organization (DRDO) and Bharat Dynamics Ltd. (the country's prime production agency for missile systems) as well as many of their respective laboratories are set to benefit from the Entities list action. Laboratories at DRDO dropped from the list include the Armament Research and Development Establishment, Defense Research and Development Laboratory, Missile Research and Development Complex and the Solid-State Physics Laboratory. ISRO's subordinate entities include the Liquid Propulsion Systems Center, Solid Propellant Space Booster Plant, Sriharikota Space Center—the country's only launch complex—and the Vikram Sarabhai Space Center.

While ISRO was able to locally produce numerous components after the U.S.-imposed sanctions in 1998 in response to India's nuclear test program, the country's space endeavor still suffered development delays.
In an address to the Indian parliament, Obama pressed legislators to remove barriers to foreign investment, which India caps at 26%.

India's refusal to sign the security pact was not discussed publicly but has been a sticking point between the two countries. Still, India is purchasing 10 C-17 heavy-lift military transports, eight P-8I maritime patrol jets, Harpoon anti-ship missiles, Apache attack helicopters and Chinook transport helicopters, all manufactured by Boeing. Anticipating the announcement, Boeing noted prior to Obama's visit that the Harpoons would not be ensnared by the security pact.

Service officials say discussions are already underway with Israel and France on ways to upgrade the C-130Js to sidestep the security pact. Those talks date back almost a year and cover purchase of advanced encrypted communications equipment for the Indian C-130Js. However, the U.S. would have to approve the upgrade, an Indian air force acquisition official notes.

The equipment India wants that is off the list mostly centers on communications, including the AN/ARC-222 Single-Channel Ground and Airborne Radio System (Sincgars), Raytheon KV-119 IFF Digital Transponder, Tacterm/ANDVT Secure Voice (HF) terminal and the Vinson KY-58 Secure Voice (UHF/VHF) module.

"The technology that is being withheld is some excellent communications equipment that the [Indian air force] would do well to own and operate, especially since special operations are part of the fleet profile," the acquisition officer says. "However, considering the larger political picture, it has been generally agreed that sourcing such equipment from a third party will not pose an operational problem. We are in discussions with all concerned regarding the integration of such equipment on a [U.S.-provided] platform."

Although the first C-130J handover is slated for next month, the aircraft is not due in India until February and is likely to first appear at Aero India 2011 that month.

Other aircraft on order subject to the communications technology hold include the eight P-8Is (four more are to be ordered shortly) and the C-17s, which are by far India's largest deal to date with the U.S. government.

The real concern about the lack of ratification of the security pact is in the Indian army. The service has remained largely silent about the equipment situation; but an officer with the parachute regiment who participated in a joint transport and parachute drill with U.S. forces late last year says that the denied technology is vital for special operations missions.

"It is possibly the best communications kit available anywhere. We can choose to get it from somewhere else, or go all the way and get it from the U.S.," he asserts.

Senior U.S. government officials note that the next step on the security pact and a Logistics Support Agreement is up to India. Washington argues it needs to spend more time "educating" the Indian government about the advantages of the two accords. So far, India is holding firm that it does not want to sign on.

India's Defense Procurement Policy 2010, which says military offsets need to tap only related industries, is expected to include a small percentage of aviation-related manufacturers by the end of the year. "This is a win-win situation," says one defense ministry official. "We will now speed up procurement for materials, test equipment and machinery. That should make our projects move faster [and] U.S. companies will get more business."

Besides the $5-billion C-17 deal, there was an order for 107 General Electric F414 engines for India's Light Combat Aircraft valued at $822 million. There also were several team arrangements. Software developer Palantir Technologies of Palo Alto, Calif., says it will help the Maharashtra State Police to identify security threats, and Implant Sciences of Wilmington, Mass., will provide its Quantum Sniffer H-150 explosives detection technology to the Indian army.

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/generic/story_generic.jsp?topicName=india&id=news/awst/2010/11/15/AW_11_15_2010_p46-268533.xml&headline=Strategic%20Strokes

Patriot

Country flag
Indian Navy in Favor of Logistics Support Agreement with United States

A report by Vishal Thapar for television news channel NewsX reveals that the Indian Navy is favourable towards a Logistics Support Agreement between India and the United States. The report further says that the Government is also in agreement and is clearing the ground for such a pact with the United States.

However one spoiler could be that this would be a peace time agreement which would require a case-by-case approval during wars. Embedding below is the video of the NewsX report:

http://www.india-defence.com/reports-4816

Last edited by a moderator:

hitenray09

sign any pact no matter what but it should not expose our security of armed forces to ny foreign country.
if our armed forces can do well without these equipments that we r being stripped off due to cismoa then no need of signing it.
but if they require it as a necessity then we have to go for these pacts but our country's security be our 1st concern

Hemant Gaikwad

Re: Should we sign CISMOA:Refusing CISMOA/LSA not to Impact Operationa

I think India should first consult with Russia (since its a major ally )so as how not to jeopardize their security interests, take them into confidence and then sign the CISMOA agreement . It is in India's national interests to sign the agreement and it will even build the trust deficit that exists between India and the US . The US army relies heavily on communications , tomorrow if China attacks India .... we will be caught off guard and there would be no way that the US would be able to help us. I thing we must face the ground realities and the fact that China is growing .... soon it will have more advanced weapons then even the Russians and other European countries and the only equipment that India would be able to buy to counter this would be from the US . Plus inter nation operational capability will also thaw china and it would think twice before launching an attack .....I am all for the treaty !!!

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Bump. CISMOA is needed to be looked at

punjab47

महाबलामहावीर्यामहासत्यपराक्रमासर्वाग्रेक्षत्रियाजट
Banned
From what Saurav Jha says, it's trap to stall desi development & turn us into g2 state like Australia. Middle Income trapped also,

With lot of difficulty dealing with evangelicals & ngos.

-
DRDO babus with 2g will be trying to 'hack' nsa who has fibre invented by Indian for Silicon Valley.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Peacef_Warrior/status/678964199398117376
https://mobile.twitter.com/Peacef_Warrior/status/678964303119048704
https://mobile.twitter.com/Peacef_Warrior/status/678964391581122560
https://mobile.twitter.com/Peacef_Warrior/status/678964503225098240
https://mobile.twitter.com/Peacef_Warrior/status/678964644879335429
https://mobile.twitter.com/Peacef_Warrior/status/678964724369764352
https://mobile.twitter.com/Peacef_Warrior/status/678964798185336833
https://mobile.twitter.com/Peacef_Warrior/status/678964881521926144
https://mobile.twitter.com/Peacef_Warrior/status/678964984810856450
https://mobile.twitter.com/Peacef_Warrior/status/678965117887774720
https://mobile.twitter.com/Peacef_Warrior/status/678965212930695168
https://mobile.twitter.com/Peacef_Warrior/status/678965292450516992
https://mobile.twitter.com/Peacef_Warrior/status/678965419021983744
https://mobile.twitter.com/Peacef_Warrior/status/678965548437266433

This is explanation, basically share all bases & act as logistics hub.

In theory goes both ways, but just strengthens USA hand in IOR at our expense.

Realistically anything USA can give us, we can get from Russia now with little maneuvering ; or build ourselves by 2025.

There's no point joining Nato when our ultimate future, lies in confrontation & revenge against them.

Japan is only worthwhile ally and they will stay ally regardless. We gain nothing from alienating Iran & Russia. Plus we import oil from GCC & unpredictability of USA + tendency to leave allies hanging does not fit our interests.

It's obvious USA is having issues in ME & they want to use us as cannon fodder preferably after converting us.

Also just as jihadis want us to be sponge for terror, USA wants to divert christian right onto us.

Intolerant India, while USA right under Bush watched crores of ME christians get ethnically cleansed.

Best not to deal with people who have no principles. If we are forced to, because of present circumstance why sign agreement that will prolong them?

http://www.worldpoliticsreview.com/...ak-energy-outlook-pakistan-must-look-to-india

Also remember, only electrified & decent parts of Pak all close to border. Same parts Nixon used nukes to deter us from taking,

RSS chaddiwalas in akhand Bharat inevitable Jews our friend mode will definitely sign this..

Secular Nehru Lobby...

Like I said, India future is monarchies rebels fighting another 1857 against a secular gov with a black muslim transgender lesbian pm.

Last edited:

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
No CISMOA, sorry @Yusuf :)

Let them open weaponry manufacturing plants here. We will guarantee lowest production rates in the world, and all necessary infrastructure. We will replicate what we are doing with IT and automobile sectors.

Scarface

It seems we don't have much of the choice in this.

We need those P8i(s) and C-130J/C-17s and critical components like military grade GPS are blocked by CISMoA.

I have to admit even after reading I find the specifics of CISMoA and LSA and BECA very hard to grasp but I'm sure our defense forces know what they're doing

And Navy seems to be fine with LSA according to older post , Air Force too is indifferent, because they don't operate U.S aircraft,but they might in the future.

I personally feel the tech transfer doors this deal opens is worth it and if Navy sees nothing wrong with it, we might as well sign it.

It's not out of choice but out of need.

anoop_mig25

Country flag
Well according to media Indian policy makers/defence official have hinted to maerica that they are ready to think about those 3 agreements provided American part us of tot/knowledge know how like engine for fighter aircraft , assistance in amca develepemnt and other etc ...

Well would american companies would part away their techanical knowledge even if sign those 3 agrrements

I doubt

And the way our past defence deals where signed with russia and those who where from Indian side who participated in drafting such deals and signing those agreements.:facepalm:

I am sure american companies would find loopholes in agreement not to transfere any techanical know-how

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
Tech transfer is a mirage. No nation will part with it unless India sells its soul. Close association with USSR should have taught us that much.

India should tread carefully with US. They are not a rising power any more and they will give us better deal in the future due to complications with China. I do not think it is the right time to sign this pact.

punjab47

महाबलामहावीर्यामहासत्यपराक्रमासर्वाग्रेक्षत्रियाजट
Banned
@anoop_mig25 no they won't as, other prerequisite is 100% fdi. So basically let us colonize you & we'll give you shinies.

Country flag
USA has been flexible on many recent deals. Look st p8i .US allowed India to modify the plane as India chose. Even NATO allies do not get this privilege. The defense ties between USA and India are bound to increase. China will not allow many things to go to India few recent examples of the frigate deal, s-400 and no progress on pakfa. Russians have sold themselves out to the Chinese. India is the third person in the love triangle where the other two want privacy.

http://russia-insider.com/en/politics/where-does-india-fit-russia-china-embrace/ri7479

Where does India fit in Russia-China Embrace?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
USA has been flexible on many recent deals. Look st p8i .US allowed India to modify the plane as India chose. Even NATO allies do not get this privilege. The defense ties between USA and India are bound to increase. China will not allow many things to go to India few recent examples of the frigate deal, s-400 and no progress on pakfa. Russians have sold themselves out to the Chinese. India is the third person in the love triangle where the other two want privacy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It is not a love triangle!

Russia is up for sale and will sell itself to the highest bidder, which is definitely China in this case. Until Russia puts its act together i.e. stop its dependence on fossils and develop some industries other than defense, it will have to lick Chinese ass.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles