Should India get the V-22 Osprey?

Immanuel

Country flag
V-22 is ideal for a lot of missions, we could certainly use around 50 to 100 of these birds in all 3 services. IAF Garuds, Para SF, SFF, Marcos, NSG and other units will find it very useful.

debasree

Country flag
its a very complex machine and vey hard to maintain and opperate and the availability of spare parts ,a big question my answer will be a big no

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
its a very complex machine and vey hard to maintain and opperate and the availability of spare parts ,a big question my answer will be a big no
No more complex than a 5th gen fighter or a AWACS. If it gives us insurmountable tactical advantage - we should get it.

Parthy

Air Warrior
V-22 is an excellent platform and it holds the key to future aircrafts.. But unfortunately, future has taken a new diversion of Stealth fighter and unmanned stealth combat aircraft.. So I don't think it will compete enough to overcome its competition with stealth fighters..

When compared with Ch-47,

Parameter == V22 -------------- Ch-47
Capacity:
20,000 lb (9,070 kg) <-----> 28,000 lb (12,700 kg)
Empty weight:
33,140 lb (15,032 kg) <-----> 23,400 lb (10,185 kg)
MTW:
60,500 lb (27,400 kg) <-----> 50,000 lb (22,680 kg)
Max Speed:
250 knots (463 km/h, <-----> 170 knots (196 mph, 315 km/h)
288 mph) at sea level
Range:
879 nmi (1,627 km) <-----> 400 nmi (741 km)
Ferry Range:
1,940 nmi (3,590 km) <------> 1,216 nmi (2,252 km)

The performance and capability is more or less equivalent to CH-47d. But I do understand that both the platform stands unique..

V-22 is a great machine for marine assaults and commando operations and a great AC to hold.. But as far as current situation and needs, we gotto stay out of this for now... Operational cost of V-22 is huge....

Last edited:

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
If we want to develop a real kick-ass Marine unit and want to give teeth to our special forces, we should get something like that - operational costs not-withstanding.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
If we want to develop a real kick-ass Marine unit and want to give teeth to our special forces, we should get something like that - operational costs not-withstanding.
Why risk the pride of a great country and the lives of its warriors in mediocre helos when it can send them by V22? Price should not be an issue when you're talking about the lives of your troops and the pride of your country.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
I mean if the IAF can afford to pay France 10B Dollars to refurbish old Mirages (which is ridiculous really) there's no reason it cannot afford to buy even at least 50 brand new V22s...

nimo_cn

Country flag
Sometimes I do envy India on this, whatever India wants to buy, she can get it.

lord

v22 is ideal for strike mission deep inside enemy territory.. better suited than chinook to carry a commando troop because it can take of horizontally and it is way faster than a helicopter so it can better escape from fighter jets ..

thats why israel is buying it..

it is ideal for surgical strikes of terrorist.. even if we dont ever use it it will create a terror among those on the other side of border..

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
v22 is ideal for strike mission deep inside enemy territory.. better suited than chinook to carry a commando troop because it can take of horizontally and it is way faster than a helicopter so it can better escape from fighter jets ..

it is ideal for surgical strikes of terrorist.. even if we dont ever use it it will create a terror among those on the other side of border..
Although I generally agree with what you said, I do not think that the V-22 top speed (400 m/ hr) is ANYTHING near to what it needs to escape from a fighter jet (Mach 1+, 1225+ km/hr).
The V-22 can however, easily outrun any other helo in persuit and/or turboprop fighters (if there are ANY in the world).
The V-22s speed can be used more for getting a company to a target area - FAST. It can even carry an LSV inside it. It can also be used for speedy evacuation and fire support to troops on the ground.

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
Repeat post, self delete - why this is happening to me? :(

Last edited:

Neil

Country flag

V-22 is the nightmare for any pilot...i mean pilot is trained for either flying a heli or a plane but in V-22 he should know both...thats when problem starts...

bro...look at its size...its massive...a hit on its huge rotors will bring it down...u never use such an aircraft/heli for surgical strike although its ideal for 26/11 like situation...

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
Most pilots are specially trained for EVERY type of aircraft. Not only just Helos or Jets, but also EACH TYPE of Jet - Su-30 MKI or LCA Tejas or Jaguar or Mirage 2000, so, it will be same for the V-22 too. I doubt the piloting of the V-22 will be any harder than piloting an MKI or a Rafale/ Eurofighter.
As the USAF pilots will say, if the Jarheads (US Marines) can do it, how hard can it be? :D

lord

Although I generally agree with what you said, I do not think that the V-22 top speed (400 m/ hr) is ANYTHING near to what it needs to escape from a fighter jet (Mach 1+, 1225+ km/hr).
my point is
1..helicopter doesnt need runway but is sitting duck for fighter..can only be used at most 10km from border[dont mention osama hunt :becky:]
2..c130 type fixed wing need a runway
3.. osprey gives range,payload, speed of fixed wing along with versatility of a copter

ofcoz osprey cant elude fighters but can extend attack range..it takes about 5-7 minutes to scramble fighters.. in that time it can cover about 50kms.. close enough to be under umbrella of our fighters..

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
That is more reasonable. Also, the V-22 cal fly like a turboprop, i.e it has a much higher ceiling and can outfly most SAMs Pak has.

Neil

Country flag
Most pilots are specially trained for EVERY type of aircraft. Not only just Helos or Jets, but also EACH TYPE of Jet - Su-30 MKI or LCA Tejas or Jaguar or Mirage 2000, so, it will be same for the V-22 too. I doubt the piloting of the V-22 will be any harder than piloting an MKI or a Rafale/ Eurofighter.
As the USAF pilots will say, if the Jarheads (US Marines) can do it, how hard can it be? :D
nah...pilots are trained for basic flying of aircraft but they specialize in only certain type- bombing or interceptors role...

how is it same to fly V-22 and su-30....??

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
Really?
Try this out -
Sure every pilot have basic flying training (1 yr) - they also are trained on Intermediate Jet Trainers (1 yr), Advanced Jet Trainers (1-2 yrs), and then they are assigned to a particular squadron. The squadron typically flies ONE type of aircraft. The rookie pilots get to fly the trainer versions of the squadrons assigned aircraft for 1-2 years before they can go on real combat patrol. Now, tell me, after all this investment (4-5 yrs), WHAT professional AF would like to train the pilots in multiple aircraft, unless the aircraft are closely related? Pilots trained in Mig-21s can fly upgraded Mig-21s etc, but not a Su-30 MKI ... for that, they need to train again.

Neil

Country flag
Really?
Try this out -
Sure every pilot have basic flying training (1 yr) - they also are trained on Intermediate Jet Trainers (1 yr), Advanced Jet Trainers (1-2 yrs), and then they are assigned to a particular squadron. The squadron typically flies ONE type of aircraft. The rookie pilots get to fly the trainer versions of the squadrons assigned aircraft for 1-2 years before they can go on real combat patrol. Now, tell me, after all this investment (4-5 yrs), WHAT professional AF would like to train the pilots in multiple aircraft, unless the aircraft are closely related? Pilots trained in Mig-21s can fly upgraded Mig-21s etc, but not a Su-30 MKI ... for that, they need to train again.
thnkx for the info ace...didnt know that...btw didnt i said the same thing..that if an interceptor pilot dont fly bombers...hence flying V-22 is a nightmare for a pilot...

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles