Should India Declare Netajis Birthday as a National Holiday?

Should India declare Netaji's Birthday a National Holiday?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Poseidon

Country flag
Netaji was a great freedom fighter and was one of the very few leaders along with Gandhi who dedicated their entire lives for India's Freedom.He will always be remember for raising the INA the first independent modern army of India.
But even after such great sacrifices for his nation his birthday is remembered by a few.Even worse many files related to SBC are still classified.
Even after a dozen requests,GoI(Both UPA and NDA) rejected the idea of makng January 23rd a national holiday.

Do you think we should honour his contributions by declaring his birthday a national holiday?
Or
A National Holiday would be too much acc. to you?

H.A.

No please...we already have way too many holidays....however we are honoring him by doing various activities.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
No please. No holidays. Declaring holidays is not the only way to pay tribute. For all I know even Netaji would not have liked it and he was someone who believed in getting a move on and working rather than get stuck in such things.

Just today i was thinking the number of holidays India has for various reasons and how many man hours of productive work is lost.

BTW its a holiday in Paschim Banga and even if you dont like it, you have to stay at home.

Galaxy

Country flag
Is there any option to change the voting ??

I wanted to select YES but by some technical mistake i selected Not Sure.

If it can't be changed, Then Consider My vote as YES please :)

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I wonder if Gandhi's birthday should be a holiday.

We should actually not have his birthday either or any birthday for political leaders.

Gandhi is indeed a icon as Netaji is, but then on their birthdays, we should resolve to work overtime.

We should not have any holidays (including the religious ones) at all, including Republic and Independence Day.

We should have holidays only when we prove we deserve them.

Right now, do we deserve them?

However, for those who like a break and a ball, we could have restricted holidays on these days, including the religious ones.

Arunpillai

Maybe a minute's compulsory silence and national anthem in all institutions, shops, tv, radio, internet...

Galaxy

Country flag
I wonder if Gandhi's birthday should be a holiday.

We should actually not have his birthday either or any birthday for political leaders.

Gandhi is indeed a icon as Netaji is, but then on their birthdays, we should resolve to work overtime.

We should not have any holidays (including the religious ones) at all, including Republic and Independence Day.

We should have holidays only when we prove we deserve them.

Right now, do we deserve them?

However, for those who like a break and a ball, we could have restricted holidays on these days, including the religious ones.
Sir, I think there should not be any holiday in the memory of political leaders.

If Gandhiji deserves, then Netaji also deserves, So Sardar Patel . Even zillion roads/Social welfare scheme/Airports/etc. are named after Nehru, Rajeev Gandhi, Indira Gandhi. But not much for Netaji.

I wonder after few decades, My kids will walk on Rahul Gandhi & Sonia Gandhi Road too. it's inevitable.

Dynasty politics is the biggest curse in our nation because that is undemocratic with fabricated version of India.

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
If Gandhiji deserves, then Netaji also deserves, So Sardar Patel . Even zillion roads/Social welfare scheme/Airports/etc. are named after Nehru, Rajeev Gandhi, Indira Gandhi. But not much for Netaji.
My sentiment exactly.

I think it would appropriate that on the DFI owner's and the DFI Admin's birthdays, we should all resolve to post 100 post each and not go to sleep too early and get off the Forum! :)

Hard work has never killed any. Laziness has!

Last edited:

Galaxy

Country flag
Don't take my words in different ways. He was nationalist and one of the greatest leader of our country.

May be I am wrong but I have some weird feeling that, Since Bengalis have less representation in central Government since Independence which made Bengali lobby weak ?? No doubt he deserve it. But support is also needed in parliament.

Left rules for 34 years which is against Congress ideology. Then BJP also have no presence in Bengal belt and nevertheless it's only 15 year old party as per power is concerned. Congress is lagging in W.B. for last 3-4 decades.

These days even Congress don't remember Patel, Swami Vivekanand, Boss and even father of reformist i.e. P.V. Narshima Rao and ABV. Biggest irony is there is not much voice against it. How come Rajeev Gandhi is better than above names ?

People praise Netaji for various reasons but why Congress doesn't give him due credit ? I am sure it's deliberate, But isn't this against the ethics of the nation by not giving the credit for patriotic leaders who gave their life for this very nation ? or is there any unwritten criteria that the person name should end with Gandhi ?

Last edited:

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Apart from Independence day and Republic day, we should not have any other holidays during the year. Maybe a 10 days during Diwali or Dassarah. This would be the time for all countrymen to spend time with their families and no business takes place. Cut out all other holidays. We need to get in more man hours of work done. Half the bloody year goes in holidays of one kind or another. I mean banks done work on Amavasya. What the hell??

KS

Bye bye DFI
I mean banks done work on Amavasya. What the hell??
Dude seriously ? :D

I ve not heard it.

but maybe in Gujju land its a holiday..baniyas work even on diwali...:laugh:

Last edited:

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
It should be holiday.

Only baniya businessman will want everyday to be working day :D

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Wishing everybody a wonderful Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose Jayanti!! If only he had led us, we'd have been a world power today! May his soul be blessed!

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag
Wishing everybody a wonderful Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose Jayanti!! If only he had led us, we'd have been a world power today! May his soul be blessed!

I doubt it. His rebellion helped Freedom of India to a great extent, and the INA made it clear to the Brits that Indians won't be contained anymore, which was later emphasized by the Naval rebellion. But if he had managed to get inside India with INA and liberated India, it would have effectively been a military rule. He was a, awesome person when he was your leader, but his temperament might have caused too much political strife. There probably are, but I can't recall any country which have attained freedom and subsequently got a military leader as head of state to have reached as far India has come.

Just think of a two Indira Gandhi merged together in a male form. A great leader but too much constrained by his own world-view to share power with others.

btw, I said 'yes'. Coz if Gandhi can have a national Holiday, Netaji sure does too.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Dude seriously ? :D

I ve not heard it.

but maybe in Gujju land its a holiday..baniyas work even on diwali...:laugh:
I live in Bangalore mate.

We have way too many holidays. I mean every other day there is something. I would not mind a national vacation season. The west has new years time. Te Chinese have their new years. India should have only one such single holiday season like I suggested and nothing else apart from 15th of August and 26th of January. The business class has to work. They don't get salaries regardless of holidays. No business means money lost. The salaried class who make handsome salaries can make fun of those who do business and work even during holidays.

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
I agree with the "too many holidays" part. What India needs is a set of "Optional holidays" - less compulsory holidays. India can have a pool of 7-8 "optional national holidays" like Netaji B'day, Ambedkar B'day, Nehru B'day, Gandhi B'Day etc. Then give the choice to the people to choose any 3-4 in a year and take those days off. That way you can select your heroes to honor as well as have flexibility in your life.

The Republic day , the Independence day and the New Years day being the only "compulsory ones.

All religious holidays should be in the "optional holidays" set too. All of Diwali, Holi, Muharram, Christmas etc should be deemed optional holidays. You get to choose any 7-8 every year and take those days off. That way offices can function and the economy keeps going while the people get 14 days off a year (a reasonable number) and 11 of them being optionals, making their lives easier.

By the way I said "yes" - because Netaji was one of my childhood heroes. The amount of hardship and risk that he took for his country cannot be measured by any standards - he asked for help from Russia (Stalin declined), Hitler (declined) and finally Tojo.

Last edited:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles