Should India Buy the Mistral Which Russia Couldn't?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
saudi arab is buying this ship for egypt I guess.. close the thread now.

jouni

You should negotiate good price...Finnish Navy is replacing few old missile boats, they were supposed to be scrapped but we can give them to you. You need something to protect those Mistrals. They are sitting ducks as they are.

blueblood

Why is that people want things to function as something it wasn't designed for?

We have been down this road before with the C-17s and Arjun.:frusty:

Mistral is a LHD, not my favourite but good enough. One major problem that is often reported (?) that it is built not according to military standards but civilian standards and is unlikely to survive enemy strike despite it's size.

@Scalieback , how are those GCS coming along?

Scalieback

Professional
Why is that people want things to function as something it wasn't designed for?

We have been down this road before with the C-17s and Arjun.:frusty:

Mistral is a LHD, not my favourite but good enough. One major problem that is often reported (?) that it is built not according to military standards but civilian standards and is unlikely to survive enemy strike despite it's size.

@Scalieback , how are those GCS coming along?
Getting there. Apparently the Yanks are taking a lot of interest in them as well. We'll see. Until F35 comes along they'll 'just' be RW carriers although I'm sure they'll want to exercise with a nation using VSTOL

Edit: I heard the same re 'civilian engineering' standards for the Mistrals. A bit like Ocean as opposed to Albion and Bulwark

Last edited:

blueblood

@Scalieback , I meant your upcoming Type-26 frigates (Global Combat Ships).

IMO the only defence system UK can offer and India should accept.

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
You should negotiate good price...Finnish Navy is replacing few old missile boats, they were supposed to be scrapped but we can give them to you. You need something to protect those Mistrals. They are sitting ducks as they are.
which old missiles? SAM's or S2S

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
@Scalieback , I meant your upcoming Type-26 frigates (Global Combat Ships).

IMO the only defence system UK can offer and India should accept.
Good ship yes, but that said it is unlikely to be considered for the IN, All major surface combatants for the forseeable future shall be designed here and built in the subcontinent only.

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
You guys already transferred the old " Helsinki's " to Croatia. The Finnish Navy wanted to operate the " Raumas" till 2020 at least(Hence the refits) and the Haminas are gonna be in service for longer than that.
I know the Raumas have been taken out of service now (as of 2015) because of hull fatigue , are you guys planning to sell them off now?

jouni

You guys already transferred the old " Helsinki's " to Croatia. The Finnish Navy wanted to operate the " Raumas" till 2020 at least(Hence the refits) and the Haminas are gonna be in service for longer than that.
I know the Raumas have been taken out of service now (as of 2015) because of hull fatigue , are you guys planning to sell them off now?
You are right, they will not be scrapped or sold but to return to service. Maybe you should buy new Hamina class boats. They are great for littoral operations.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Mistral has Russian stuff on board. Talk with both and get them in as in condition at a good price

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
You are right, they will not be scrapped or sold but to return to service. Maybe you should buy new Hamina class boats. They are great for littoral operations.
As pointed out before we have already made a commitment to buy only locally designed and made ships now.

however that said the Hamina class brings some great capabilities to the Table in the form of the Umkhonto SAM. This should make it one of the few missile boast in the world with a proper SAM capability i think, our boats only have MANPADS in that realm, not to mention the supremely capable RBS 15 that the Hamina carries is much superior to the Styx on our boats. To do that in a compact 250Tr package really makes me doff my hat to the Finnish designers who designed these boats in respect.

maybe our designers could use it as an inspiration , a muse even!

blueblood

T26's should be good apparently. Canada maybe, Aus and NZ maybe too.

What's wrong with the T45's?
Nothing is wrong with T-45s but India has its own destroyers with superior weapon systems with a much cheaper price tag.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles