Should India Buy the Mistral Which Russia Couldn't?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
As the title reads, since France canceled the Mistral deal, should India try to buy that ship instead? Does it fit into our requirements? Discuss.

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
OK, my two paise:

India should jump onto this, if France is selling at the same price as is it do Russia. Jalashwa is pretty much a luxury tropical cruise due to its crippling wartime use conditions, which must obviously not be hollow (i.e. the lack of Pentagon's approval to use it could be enforced by killswitches planted into the ship's vital systems).

We need an AAV to deal with emerging security situations in our islands (think a massive Rohingya refugee influx into the Andamans); or threats to Chabahar port (from CPEC, PLAN blockades, etc.); or a Chinese invasion of the Maldives, etc.

Bheeshma

There is no wartime use condition. That was a canard. It is very old and we need new ships but these are made to russian specs and will not be accepted by IN.

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
The Mistral is a war proven platform,at at roughly 650$million each they're a steal. our navy shall be able to make good use of the two ships waiting for a owner at St Nazaire for sure. As Tarun pointed out above me the Jalashwa is pretty much a "Dock Queen". One thing we do have to worry about is the geopolitical fallout with Russia over this., however i'm sure our mandarins can find a way to keep the Russians happy as well(i'd buy Russian choppers for the boats).
My vote is for the Mistrals, we need LHD/LPDs here and now and we ain't gonna get anything better cheaper then these. here's what I'd load them with (I've kept in mind our shopping preferences).

16 Helicopters
8- Kamov Ka-52
2- Kamov- Ka-31
3-NH90NFH
3-MH-60S

Vehicles
one Marine Assault brigade with approximately 20 Tanks( I'd prefer the Arjun here), 10APC's and another 20 Support Vehicles

Troops
400 Marines and a 50 strong detachment of MARCOS(This is why i chose the MH-60S)

charlie

Country flag
Indian shipyards are waiting for orders, specially the private shipyards are waiting desperately and will not sustain for long if condition remains as they are now.

pmaitra

Should we acquire these Mistrals? Let us ask these questions first:
  1. Do we have a requirement for a helicopter carrier?
  2. Are Indian shipyards capable of making one domestically?
  3. What is the price we should be willing to pay for it?
Please remember, a lot of Russian equipment that was installed on the Mistral will be taken off and returned to Russia, so even if the Mistral is acquired, we would still have to invest a lot of money in importing components for it to be usable.

no smoking

Country flag
Indian shipyards are waiting for orders, specially the private shipyards are waiting desperately and will not sustain for long if condition remains as they are now.
Any civilian shipyard will require huge amount of investment to upgrade its facility in order to reach military tech standard.

Zebra

Country flag
Should we acquire these Mistrals? Let us ask these questions first:
  1. Do we have a requirement for a helicopter carrier?
  2. Are Indian shipyards capable of making one domestically?
  3. What is the price we should be willing to pay for it?
Please remember, a lot of Russian equipment that was installed on the Mistral will be taken off and returned to Russia, so even if the Mistral is acquired, we would still have to invest a lot of money in importing components for it to be usable.
French are happy to fix it first and then offer it.
OR
They offer it 'As It Is'....?

charlie

Country flag
pipavav shipyard and L&Tshipyard are private shipyard specially built to cater Indian Navy in mind, they are just doing civilian work as of now because they don't have any contract from navy yet.

Compersion

Country flag
Good for us to think and act ... it fits our regional and global profile and use.

Russia will be able to get money also - And France able to get a good deal.

The enlightened

NO!!!
We are already aiming for a tender for in house production. Buying off the shelf reduces orders and puts the need for setting up a production line in a limbo. Lets stick with the RFP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles