Shortage of officers in the Army & other issues

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
There are many issues regarding the JOCs.

One of the biggest problems that Officers do not let the JCOs have a free hand except for very basic administrative work. Again, it is the problem of micromanagement and the question of the blame finally lying on the officer;s shoulder.

I have found that if you make the JOC responsible for a task and haul him over the coals if he messes it up and you get the bolloking from the CO (Commanding Officer), it will happen once and maybe twice, but then he (the JCO) knows that he is responsible for what task he is assigned. Things get into shape and you have an easier command.

Interestingly, three of my JCOs who were sent to me as useless chaps, there was hectic lobbying for them from all concerned to make them Subedar Major (the highest rank for the trooper). And they made it! One of them (and Mahars are very docile and not cocky chaps) whose actual name was Uttam Borde, but I used to call him Billy Borde started using that name as if it were given by his parents. He even introduced himself to the Commander as 'Billy Borde and the Commander got confused since his name tag reas "Uttam Borde". The CO then when into a Ram Katha as to how and why he was nicknamed by me as 'Billy' and how Billy liked to be called so.

In fa, Billy started thinking he was no less than any officer. Once during an exercise, when we were acting as the 'enemy', during the Debriefing the attacking officer on Billy's Platoon was narrating how his attack went and how an Officer got up in his dressing down and told him to 'bugger off'. We all hide our smirk for we all knew if could be none other than Billy Borde. I hauled him over coals that on an exercise, even if you were the CO, you could not wear a dressing gown or tell an officer to 'bugger off'. He loved using English terms and picked up all the wrong phrases I used to use so that the troops did not understand and could not thus take umbrage.

So, give them responsibility and elevate their ego and they are as good as any other commander.

As far as Young Oficers are concerned, in any good unit, he has to go through the Ummedwar, Naik to Havildar, Have to JCO cadres before he actually takes command of his platoon. He is normally given his due as an officer, but without hurting sensitivities, is actually made an 'understudy' of the JCO Platoon Commander, who gives him all due respect and keep guiding and teaching him. Sub Shankar Ubale was the JCO who taught me about tactics,.administration and man management. I remain grateful to him till today.

The Company Commanders keep a sharp eye and teaches the youngster the documentation etc. We had to fill DO IIs, paybook IAB 64 with our own hands and if there was a lapse and the OR did not get their due in pay and allowances because of wrong bookkeeping the Company Commander did not spare you.

The initial years are the formative years and if well learnt, then it holds you in good stead.

We even had to stay and live like troopers till we passed our Ummedwar. Actually, it was a way to teach you the problems and living and training conditions that a jawan endures, so that when you actually commanded them, you did not command them as if you were destined by God to be a Ruler and all your serfs! It also built great bonds between the troops and you!

But then each unit has its own ethos.
We kind of see the same thing in the civilian corporate world as well... Instead of grooming and mentoring subordinates from within the system to grow, the big heads prefer to pay bunches of cash to get a "ready made" personnel from outside the system. And the ready made products turn out to nothing but wizards at powerpoint presentations and completely removed from the ground realities.

Mentoring and grooming is becoming an extinct art.

Not at all.

Who provides the manpower to construct the ALGs?

Who will augment the engineer manpower?

Who will help lift loads needed urgently. If they are not there, then those who are upfront and holding the fort so to say will have to shed manpower from their posts/ positions and thereby reducing the fighting strength i.e. the combat ratio thought essential at that position given the threat analysis.

In an active combat with an active AD environment, it is not feasible for helicopters to operate.

And then, in the mountains and high altitude, helicopters can land at all places to deliver warlike stores!

Mules and AT Coys are most essential. Even the US Army has realised it in Afghanistan, inspite of all technology and air platforms at their command.

Can't blame the Govt alone.

They are clever tykes and ticks.

The give out lollipops to those in uniform who Head these studies which Rob Peter to Pay Paul.

It happens in every organisation of the Govt of India. Cost Saving and you get a lollipop!
That's what I said sir, It is criminal to slash AT Coys specially when most of our border regions have no road access. I am not sure entirely what are the functions of the Pioneers, but are the Engineer Corps getting slashed as well?

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Damn!!But still it's better to get your leg burnt than getting blown to pieces or perforated by hundreds of splinters and shrapnells I guess.Lucky you (even luckier us).
British Hand Grenade No.77, WWI - Inert-Ord.Net

No.77 Mk.I, WP
Introduced in early 1943, this small white phosphorus grenade was intended for signaling and screening purposes but, like all WP grenades, it found greater battlefield value as an anti-personnel / incendiary weapon.

White Phosphorus has an extremely toxic nature. One of the by-products of WP combustion is phosphoric acid, which can lead to damage of lungs and throat. While initial superficial contact with burning particles can be less severe compared to things like napalm or metal incendiaries, particles will continue to burn long after initial exposure. Medical care can be very difficult if any are inhaled, ingested or become deeply imbedded in the skin.
All this makes for an intimidating weapon. Soldiers who will stand firm when faced with gun fire and high explosive bursts will often retreat from a barrage of WP.
@Ray Sir, how long was treatment required for your wound?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I still have the scars. One is rather large.

The treatment was for a few months, but the scars remained for quite some times.

bose

Country flag
When I was in high school we used to hear that Indian Army is in shortage of officers and that was in 80's... still the shortage of officers persists till date, Is it the pay scale not attractive enough to draw more towards army life or lack of proper planning to get over the situation... whatever it is it is a serious situation I believe...

pkroyal

I will take an altogether different view on this :-

Catch them young should be the motto. ( this is when the mind is most impressionable )

Only one entry for becoming an officer in the combat arm. ( 16-18 yrs )

Only ten to twelve energetic "go getting" officers in the combat unit.

Direct recruitment for young JCO,s in combat units who are made to handle routine administrative tasks as well.( education standards & trg levels upgraded)

Slowly Phase out promoted JCO,s from OR level in combat units.

Average age in a combat unit not above 35-37 yrs.

Officers" less is always more" should be the dictum ( look for effectiveness )

Only mandatory courses of short duration ( not too much absence from units ).

lateral absorption after combat unit tenures for JCO / OR in BSF, DSC, CRPF, State Police etc. ( with handsome retirement package )

officers to get absorbed in staff / ERE/ Instructor etc after unit tenure.

For all other support services keep all promotion options like ACC, SL,RCO etc open

Treat combat arms, their equipment, manpower etc like the cutting edge of a sword ie at par like fighter aircrafts / pilots.

Last edited:

Blood+

Country flag
THANKS every one for the replies.But what about the 4th quary?Is it really true that training and target practise of combat personnel getting hampered due to shortage of ammunition??Anyone??

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles