Shia youth 'who fought ISIS' gets grand welcome home in Lucknow

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
A PhD student in Shia theology who claims to be the only Indian to have fought against the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS, or IS) was on Sunday given a rousing welcome by the Shia community here on his return home.
Maulana Syed Abbas Nasir Saeed Abqati, 28, the son of prominent Shia cleric Maulana Agha Roohi, was studying at Najaf University in July when clashes with the ISIS broke out in Iraq. He claims to have enrolled for the force comprising civilians and others that was trained by the Iraqi forces and fought the ISIS for one month.

Felicitated at a function at Shia College on Nakhas road here, Abqati said he would go back after three months.

Thousands of Shia youths in Lucknow alone had earlier registered themselves as 'razakars (volunteers)', seeking to go to Iraq to fight the ISIS, but were denied permission by the government.
A campaign by Shia cleric Maulana Kalbe Jawwad to send youths to Iraq as volunteers had been severely criticised by Sunni clerics, particularly Syed Ahmed Bukhari, the Shahi Imam of Delhi's Jama Masjid. The news of Abqati's "feats" in Iraq though had reached home and been celebrated by Shias.

Abqati claimed that Iraqi Army regulars, the Sarai Salam army of influential Iraqi leader Muqtada al-Sadr, civilians and people from several countries had been selected to set up an "anti-terrorism squad" and guard vulnerable locations.
"I was given one-month military training by Iraqi army regulars. There were people from several other countries, whose identity I cannot reveal. I was the only Indian and after the training we were sent to Samarra (around 125 km from Baghdad) to defend holy shrines during Ramzan," Abqati told The Indian Express.

"It crossed my mind that some legalities may be involved in me taking part in a military exercise involving a foreign country. But when your house is under attack, you will not run to seek permission from the government. You will first defend yourself. The fatwas by various clerics also become immaterial when your life is in peril," Abqati said.

Slamming ISIS for calling itself Muslim but killing innocent people, he said at the felicitation: "Children are being slaughtered, women captured and sold in the slave market. People who do not embrace Islam are being killed. There is even some mercy in killing, but ISIS are stone-hearted people who are against humanity."

Talking about his own experience, Abqati said: "At times there was gunfire. We defended the city too and ISIS was pushed back. We held our fort for the whole of Ramzan. Once there was replenishment, I returned."
He was hopeful of returning to the warfront, the young cleric said. "Now I am trained and there are lots of secrets which cannot be shared. If there is any need, I will again take up arms."

Shia youth 'who fought ISIS' gets grand welcome home in Lucknow | The Indian Express

tramp

NIA needs to take the claims seriously and verify if what this mofo claims is true. It should be treated as a serious development and needs thorough investigation. If found guilty of violating the law of the land he should be punished. On what visa did this mofo leave Indian shores? Did he violate its conditions?

And Shias should not be allowed to do provocative things... as the last thing India wants is a Sunny-Shia strife.

The report says thousands registered to be Razkars. That kind of recruitment should be dealt with severely so that such activities do not take place on Indian soil. Such activities weaken the state and the rule of law.

Hope the home ministry takes the matter really seriously.

They should just let him go again and not let him return. While "fighting ISIS" might seem like a noble cause, having random people trained in such things is not really good.

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Such chaps should be taken to task for going out fighting private wars without caring for the repercussion it will have on India and Indian Muslims.

If there is an internecine war between the Shias and Sunnis (and Lucknow is famous for that), it will be another mess to clear.

ninja85

send him to iran forever,then see how many war our new war hero is going to win.

Srinivas_K

Country flag
These guys should not be encouraged. We have an army and it will take care of the defense of this country.

Normal people should stay out of conflicts that are occurring thousands of miles away from India.

tramp

It is not a question of not encouraging such guys.... on the other hand, I want deterrent action on such people. Take them into custody without delay in investigate them to verify if that person did what he claimed. If indeed he has, examine if any law of the land was broken and if guilty punish him. When he went out of the country, the visa based on which the exit stamp is given is given on conditions that the passport holder does not violate any law national or international. If any has been violated, it should be taken serious note of and this chap should be locked up.

If no action is taken in one case, imagine a situation in which somebody claiming to have fought for IS returning and he being given a grand reception.... and if there are a few such elements on either side.. what would be the situation if they happen to be in the same neighbourhood?

The home ministry needs to act and act now.. i fervently hope days of shivraj patils and Sushilkumar Shindes are over in the ministry.

These guys should not be encouraged. We have an army and it will take care of the defense of this country.

Normal people should stay out of conflicts that are occurring thousands of miles away from India.

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
We don't need Ghazis joining private armies. If the adrenaline is kicking in so hot, join the Army and cool off your heels at the border.
This happens when priorities are set wrong; people don't realize, to who or what they owe/belong first and in which fight they don't/shouldn't have a dog.

BangersAndMash

His name is known, everything about him is known, it will be good to read in the newspapers this chap has had a car accident and died :devious:

Syd

Country flag
They should just let him go again and not let him return. While "fighting ISIS" might seem like a noble cause, having random people trained in such things is not really good.
He was already in Iraq when ISIS made their major advance. See the line about studying at Najaf University.

Cliff@sea

C'est la vie
Country flag
Such chaps should be taken to task for going out fighting private wars without caring for the repercussion it will have on India and Indian Muslims.

If there is an internecine war between the Shias and Sunnis (and Lucknow is famous for that), it will be another mess to clear.
While i find your concern appreciable sir,

i wonder how fair is it for Indian government to punish its young sons for doing exactly what their belief system requires them to do under these conditions . . Did Indian govt not know that there might be Indian Shias there in that region if they had been issued Visas . . ?
What Shias believe & practice are not something of an incomprehensible secret . I am sure there would have been many in the Exterior Ministry that would have known (or atleast there ought to be) what a Shia youth would be inclined to do .
Were they issued any directives by the Indian Government . . ?
How can anyone living & studying in a country abroad just know what will please or displease Indian Government . . ?

IMHO it would be unjustified to punish anyone for disobeying an order that wasn't even issued.

Cliff@sea

C'est la vie
Country flag
It is not a question of not encouraging such guys.... on the other hand, I want deterrent action on such people. Take them into custody without delay in investigate them to verify if that person did what he claimed. If indeed he has, examine if any law of the land was broken and if guilty punish him. When he went out of the country, the visa based on which the exit stamp is given is given on conditions that the passport holder does not violate any law national or international. If any has been violated, it should be taken serious note of and this chap should be locked up.

If no action is taken in one case, imagine a situation in which somebody claiming to have fought for IS returning and he being given a grand reception.... and if there are a few such elements on either side.. what would be the situation if they happen to be in the same neighbourhood?

The home ministry needs to act and act now.. i fervently hope days of shivraj patils and Sushilkumar Shindes are over in the ministry.
I dont remember signing any such conditional forms when I was issued my Visa . . Only condition that they stamped on my Visa was that i wasn't allowed to work more then 20 hrs. . IIRC pretty much everyone flouted this condition except this member who was ever too lazy to come anywhere near the limit.

Last edited:

tramp

There is an implied undertaking that any person granted an exit stamp on his passport that he/she would not indulge in activities that could be considered contravening the laws of the land in India.

In India, nobody is allowed to take law into their hands and that is it. If the law was violated and the guilt established he should be punished.

The construct that I need to kill the one who kills a person with whom I share my religious belief is not far from the construct that I need to kill the one who shares the religious belief of the killer of the one who shares the religious belief with me!!

I dont remember signing any such conditional forms when I was issued my Visa . . Only condition that they stamped on my Visa was that i wasn't allowed to work more then 20 hrs. . IIRC pretty much everyone flouted this condition except this member who was too lazy to ever come anywhere near the limit. :D

Last edited:

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
A similar situation in Europe ?

Bikers v ISIS? Dutch motorcycle gang gets green light to fight Islamic State

Three members of the infamous Dutch biker gang "No Surrender" reportedly journeyed to Iraq and Syria last week in order to fight alongside Kurdish troops and against Islamic State (IS) militants.

Now, commenting on the legality of that move, the Dutch public prosecutor said Tuesday they are allowed to do so.

"Joining a foreign armed force was previously punishable, now it's no longer forbidden," the prosecutor's spokesman, Wim de Bruin, told AFP.

As long as the individuals do not enlist in a battle against the Netherlands, they are not committing a crime, he added. If the members of the biker gang are found to be engaging in torture or rape, however, De Bruin said they could be indicted on criminal charges.
German bikers unite with Dutch comrades in fight against ISIS

Kawan A., the club leader of the 'Median Empire' gang, wrote on his Facebook: "While others blabber on, our guys are at the front and fighting against ISIS," stating that at least two of the group's members are fighting alongside Kurdish Peshmerga fighters.

Founded by Kurdish Germans, Cologne's Median Empire is a biker gang named after an ancient community which extended from eastern Turkey to India in the VIII century B.C.
He added that the trio are ex-military – two marines and one soldier – who were pushed into action by the cruelty exhibited by ISIS.
However, the German bikers' participation in the fight against ISIS militants is trumped by an estimated 300 jihadists who left Germany to join the Islamic State and other militants in Syria.
Sources: http://rt.com/news/195980-netherlands-biker-gang-isis/ & http://rt.com/news/196864-germany-bikers-fight-isis/

Cliff@sea

C'est la vie
Country flag
There is an implied undertaking that any person granted an exit stamp on his passport that he/she would not indulge in activities that could be considered contravening the laws of the land in India.
Really . . ? , please explain with reference How ? & also If you can, a comprehensive list all those other things that might or might not be implied for the benefit of all the Indians who are issued Visas from now on.

In India, nobody is allowed to take law into their hands and that is it. If the law was violated and the guilt established he should be punished.
A war zone is war zone exactly because there is no rule of law . . So what laws ?

If any country can demand to punish anyone , its that one where Nasir was staying . . so let them demand that first.

The construct that I need to kill the one who kills a person with whom I share my religious belief is not far from the construct that I need to kill the one who shares the religious belief of the killer of the one who shares the religious belief with me!!
If punishments can be issued for flouting vague approximations & countless possible derivations of "Implied" orders then I really wonder How many more jails need to be constructed.

Incidentally have you ever been on a visa to some country which is involved in a war for any considerable length of time ever ?

Global Defence

New threads

Articles