Shame on BBC

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Wow, you are an early riser.

What is your opinion of the nomenclature, fish-plate?

I did not know this!

In rail terminology, a fishplate, splice bar or joint bar is a metal bar that is bolted to the ends of two rails to join them together in a track. The name is derived from fish, a wooden bar with a curved profile used to strengthen a ship's mast.
Fishplate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

See the link for a gallery of fishplate photos and more than you ever wanted to know about them.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Actually, it comes from the French term fische, which means to fix, but the English screwed it up and changed it to fish-plate. :rofl:
Maybe the English screwed up the French word, but they had the first railways. :)

In September, 1825, the Stockton & Darlington Railroad Company began as the first railroad to carry both goods and passengers on regular schedules using locomotives designed by English inventor, George Stephenson. Stephenson's locomotive pulled six loaded coal cars and 21 passenger cars with 450 passengers over 9 miles in about one hour.
Railroad Invention and History

amoy

pfft... nice one Mr. Pedantic. Chicken is a plural noun only in the context of food. In the context of the living animal, it requires an s to make it plural.
Ya, I once was confused when I saw fishes, peoples...

Adux

Country flag
What fvck is wrong with people , going all PMS on some effin grammar.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
What fvck is wrong with people , going all PMS on some effin grammar.
They have become the whipping boys since they lost MMRCA and started talking shit.

BTW wonder what they will say if the allegations of Rafale kickbacks are true and the Typhoon gets the contract?

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
You are correct with regards to food. However, I pointed out 'uncountable nouns.'

Uncountable Nouns

"A French village has proposed giving two chickens to each household." That is quantifiable. Only when used in unmeasured food goods is it plural to say chicken. Such as, "I bought a bucket of chicken, or I ate chicken for dinner, or I ordered 5 tonnes of chicken.

pmaitra

"A French village has proposed giving two chickens to each household." That is quantifiable. Only when used in unmeasured food goods is it plural to say chicken. Such as, "I bought a bucket of chicken, or I ate chicken for dinner, or I ordered 5 tonnes of chicken.
Both your quoted sentences are correct, but the definition is almost correct save for that 'food' part. I was talking about the title.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
The numbers in the title are quantifiable. It was two as stated in the next sentence. The number does not have to be mentioned in the same sentence as usage of the noun.

Look at all those chickens in the yard. There are twelve of them.

You certainly wouldn't say, Look at all that chicken in the yard. That is referring to them as food.

pmaitra

The numbers in the title are quantifiable. It was two as stated in the next sentence. The number does not have to be mentioned in the same sentence as usage of the noun.

Look at all those chickens in the yard. There are twelve of them.

You certainly wouldn't say, Look at all that chicken in the yard. That is referring to them as food.
In the title and the first paragraph, it is uncountable. Check the definition of (un)countable nouns.

Example: You can count money, but money is uncountable noun. Monies is the plural of money, but you always say "I gave him some money."

Again, according to you, what is the definition of uncountable or "mass nouns?"

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles