Shame on BBC

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Four backyard chicken has been allowed in Chelsea!

To cut out waste or to hear the cluck, cluck?

Roosters have not been allowed!

Oracle

/\/\/\ Britain is full of Pakis, not just BBC. I don't understand the bonhomie between a terrorist country and a supposedly moral up-keeper of the world.

KS

Bye bye DFI
Just two...will be enough for only one day...:dude:

sob

Mod
Country flag
Well you caught me, I had just read the article and was trying to understand the problem.

But you are right spoken English is creeping into the dictionary and words like chickens are no longer considered wrong.

As a British friend of mine had remarked, England has moved away from English while the Indians still practice the Queens language in the correct grammatical manner.

pmaitra

Well you caught me, I had just read the article and was trying to understand the problem.

But you are right spoken English is creeping into the dictionary and words like chickens are no longer considered wrong.
Perhaps one should blame the superficial understanding of English, especially among the teachers.

In spoken language, I rarely hear 'chickens' but yes, I do hear, 'anyways' and 'sports.' The correct way to say it is 'anyway' and 'sport.' There is nothing called 'anyways' and 'sports.' That's not English. I myself have been making these mistakes until recently.

Moreover, it is wrong to say 'a NRI.' NRI, as in Non-Resident Indian. The correct way to say is 'an NRI.' It's not about whether the starting letter of the Roman script is a vowel or a consonant, rather whether the starting sound is that of a vowel or a consonant.

As a British friend of mine had remarked, England has moved away from English while the Indians still practice the Queens language in the correct grammatical manner.
Very true, but with some exceptions.

I hear this often, "Oh, that ice-cream was too good!" Now that is wrong. 'Too' always carries a negative connotation. You can say "What you are saying is too good to be true," but you cannot say, if you really liked the ice-cream, "Oh, that ice-cream was too good!" That's just wrong, and many Indians actually make that mistake.

I have been finding many mistakes in my own usage as well, and am making an effort to correct them.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Chickens? What chickens? Chicken is already plural!

Shame on BBC.
pfft... nice one Mr. Pedantic. Chicken is a plural noun only in the context of food. In the context of the living animal, it requires an s to make it plural.

pmaitra

pfft... nice one Mr. Pedantic. Chicken is a plural noun only in the context of food. In the context of the living animal, it requires an s to make it plural.
Umm, no, read the title. It is uncountable noun, so chicken is plural. This is not the case where you say "I have 5 chickens and a goat."

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
They are handing live chickens so it would not be chicken. It would only be chicken in reference to food.

pmaitra

On topic as well as off topic:

Ok, now that I have been researching, one question to all: Can you count money?

Global Defence

New threads

Articles