Shahid Afridi retires from international cricket

Blackwater

KARACHI: Pakistan's Shahid Afridi told news reporters on Monday he was retiring from all international cricket, saying he was dejected after being replaced as one-day captain following a fiery clash with coach Waqar Younis.

The 31-year-old experienced difficulties with Waqar during the team's 3-2 win against the West Indies earlier this month and his public criticism of the coach ultimately led to him losing the captaincy.

"Yes, I am now retired from all international cricket," Afridi said by telephone from London. "I am dejected and hurt and whatever I said about the coach it was in the best interest of the team." Afridi, who took over as Test and one-day captain last year, abruptly retired from the longer version of the game after a heavy defeat against Australia at Lord's in July 2010.

He then led Pakistan to two one-day series defeats against England and South Africa before winning a 50-over series in New Zealand and guiding the team to the semi-finals of World Cup 2011 where they lost to eventual champions India.

Afridi lashed out at Waqar on his return from the West Indies.

"Everyone should do his job and should be accountable for his work," said Afridi, reportedly irked at Waqar's interference in team selection.

When asked about his reported problems with the coach, Afridi replied: "The differences are not at a stage where they cannot be resolved." Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) took heed of the public criticism and served a show cause notice to Afridi before announcing that Test captain Misbah-ul-Haq would lead the team in two one-day matches against Ireland.

Pakistan won the series 2-0 under Misbah on Monday.

Afridi, who withdrew from the Ireland matches due to his father's illness in the United States, said he was roughly treated by the PCB.

"I play for my country and for my people," he said. "I led the team to the semi-final of the World Cup but the reward was such that I was not sure about my captaincy." Afridi said his decision to retire was final, as he would not play under the current PCB, headed by chairman Ijaz Butt, but hinted at a comeback if there was a change in leadership.

"This current board treats players roughly and I will not play under this set-up. But if this set-up is changed only then will I consider coming back because I have always played for my people and will play for them." Afridi said he had battled against the game's match-fixing menace and had put a disjointed Pakistan team back together.

"When I retired from Test cricket and sensed spot-fixing in the team, I fought against it and after the fixing episode united the team which was broken and divided," said Afridi, referring to last year's fixing scandal in England.

That controversy, related to last year's Lord's Test against England, ended in lengthy bans on former Test captain Salman Butt and pacemen Mohammad Asif and Mohammad Aamer.

Afridi, who still holds the record for the fastest one-day hundred, scored off 37-balls against Sri Lanka at Nairobi in 1997, was the joint leading wicket-taker with 21 in this year's World Cup, with India's Zaheer Khan.

The burly all-rounder scored 6,695 in 325 one-dayers and took 315 wickets as a leg-spinner. He has a tally of 1,716 runs and 48 wickets in 27 Tests.

He also holds the record of hitting most sixes in all one-day cricket with 289.

Afridi finished as player of the tournament in the first two editions of the World Twenty20, in 2007 and 2009, helping Pakistan to the title in the latter tournament in England.

"I served the country to the best of my ability but did not deserve this treatment. I wanted to leave cricket on a happy note, but that did not come about," he said.

Former captain Asif Iqbal said Afridi's retirement was disappointing and said PCB chairman Butt should be seen responsible.

"It is yet another disappointing episode in Pakistan cricket and the blame goes to Butt who took an arbitrary decision (of replacing Afridi)," said Iqbal.

Shahid Afridi retires from international cricket | Sport | DAWN.COM

Patriot

Country flag
It seems no bookie want to bet on Afridi , as betting is the main source of income for PCB. Hence , Afridi was sacked as Captain

:becky:

ganesh177

Country flag
Iska dil bahot bada hain, dil ki dukaan khol ke baithega. He need not play cricket.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Beg for forgiveness ?? Approach BCCI to get himself an IPL contract, off course after sucking up big time on those people without a "big heart"!!

A.V.

Incident :- [Reflects the state ]

On another joke the pakistanis believe :- RAW is out to damage the country , first their glorious armed forces , then cricket.

A.V.

Incident :- [Reflects the state ]

On another joke the pakistanis believe :- RAW is out to damage the country , first their glorious armed forces , then cricket.

Tronic

Afridi is a looser and he has often cried about the "Punjabi camp" not wanting him as captain and all that. He should learn to shut up and just play.

ganesh177

Country flag
I read article PCB chief saying, afridi khele ya na khele kya farak painda ?

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
PCB chief is right. Shahid Afridi was temperamental. Never consistent. I think his best performance on the field in his entire career has been his last as well and that too not with the bat, but with the ball in the last world cup!!

mayfair

Kaha that na ki sab drama hai.

I'll be back: Afridi

KARACHI: Pakistan's disgruntled former captain Shahid Afridi said he wants to make an international comeback on Wednesday, but insisted that certain members of the national team management would first have to leave.

Last week the talismanic all-rounder appeared to have ended an ugly public spat with the Pakistan Cricket Board which followed his sudden retirement from the international game after he was dumped as one-day captain.

"I am not finished. I will come back in the team with respect but for that I will wait for the situation to improve and some people to be removed from the team management," Afridi said before leaving for England.

The all-rounder will play for Hampshire in England's Twenty20 tournament after the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) reinstated his approval to play abroad – permission it had previously withdrawn.

The 31-year-old denied money was his only motive for playing county cricket abroad.

"To play for Pakistan has always been my priority," said Afridi, who still holds the world record for the fastest one-day hundred – scored off just 37 balls against Sri Lanka in 1996.

"I get more money playing for Pakistan than in a county match, but money has never been my priority. I will come back but only if the situation improves."

Earlier this month, the PCB suspended Afridi's central contract and revoked permission from him to play abroad after he violated the terms of that contract by criticising the board and announcing his retirement.

Afridi filed a petition against the sanctions but the matter was later settled out of the court. A PCB disciplinary committee fined Afridi $53,000 but his permission to play abroad was reinstated.

The row began when Afridi developed differences with coach Waqar Younis over the team selection during Pakistan's 3-2 win in the one-day series against the West Indies last month.

He publicly criticised Waqar and was dismissed as one-day captain.

Afridi refused to put a date on his return to the national team.

"I will wait for the right time to come," said Afridi, hinting at the completion of PCB chairman Ijaz Butt's three-year tenure in October.

"Everyone knows why I have resigned so there's no use repeating it and I will not rescind that decision.

"I won a series in the West Indies, but was removed without any solid reason and that increased my apprehensions because my father was also seriously ill during that time," said Afridi
Pathological turncoats indeed. It's in their blood and in their genes along with lying.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles