Serb Air Force buys 6 new Mig 29 M/M2

Waffen SS

Serbs already had some MiG 29s,some were destroyed in 1999 Kosovo war.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
MiG-23 for the first time took part in the fighting in 1982, the Syrian-Israeli war and well-proven. The upgraded MiG-23MLD U1 can compete for some combat characteristics with 4th generation fighters. I could show the video, but it is in Russian, and translated a long time.
The Syrian's claim they shot down a dozen IDF fighters with MiG-23... Israel claims none. I know Israel tries to make themselves look invincible when they are not, but one has to look at facts. Israel had AWACs backed F-15/16 fighters against no AWACs MiG-23. I am not really seeing how they could lose that many when the MiG-23 is known as the flying brick. It was designed as ground attack so to think it could hang with the best 4th gen fighters is rather funny.

Akim

Professional
Country flag
I am not really seeing how they could lose that many when the MiG-23 is known as the flying brick. It was designed as ground attack so to think it could hang with the best 4th gen fighters is rather funny.
I will not argue. I know this sphere small. I better Land Forces. And only that I could to "touch hands". In the 80 years of the MiG-23MLD was the backbone of Soviet fighter aircraft. They and now in of modernized aircraft"reserve line 1" in the air force of Russia and Ukraine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Adler

The MiG-29M2 order is a separate deal. These jets SAF will buy through Russian loan as urgent replacement of MiG-21bis/UM (service life extended for 5 more years) and remaining MiG-29/UB fleet. They will be assigned to 101st Fighter Squadron "Knights" (former YAF 127th FS) and tasked for Air Defence QRA.

Talks tomorrow between Serbian MoD Alexander Vucic and his Russian counterpart on terms of credit will finalize the deal and exact number of airframes. Serbs are looking for 12 to 24 MiGs.

Acquisition has mainly political nature because Serbia wants to worm up relations with Russia.

Serbs expect that first 6 MiGs are to be delivered by the end of 2013.

Another tender will take place later when economy allows it. SAF will looking a multirole combat jets for replacement of Orao strike fighters and reconnaissance to re-equip 241st Fighter-Bomber Squadron "Tigers". Oraos are expected to remain in service for 10 more years. Potential aircraft are EF Typhoon, Rafale and Flanker.

Gripen is out because Swedens did not answered because they were too busy with Croats (they decided to retain MiG-21bisD/UMD for a time-being) so SAF is offended by that.

Chinese (both J-10 and FC-1/JF-17) are considered an mission impossible due to Russian engines,

Although some pilots would like Rafale, most likely that the second fighter will be EF Typhoon. EADS has already presented its jet to SAF in September last year, they advertise in Serbian Armed Forces magazines.

This purchase will also have political connotation since Serbia wants to improve relations with Germany. Currently SAF delegation talks with EADS about Puma/Cougar helicopters and EADS cooperation with Serbian aerospace industry companies (Utva and VTI).

Also in the next few weeks will be known who is selected as partner in modernization of Super Galeb G-4 to G-4MD standard. French (Thales, I think), EADS, Israelis are in the game, but EADS is likely to win.

Kind regards,
Adler

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
EF-2000 in Serbians colors will be Interesting..

Adler

Some updates.

Russian officials have confirmed that Serbia was originally interested in Su-30 Flanker fighters and S-300 air defence systems.

But due to disagriments between two governments over EU-led taks over Kosovo province with separatist so-called Republic of Kosovo and signing of agreement with them, Serbian-Russian relations went into new downfall.

So, Russia is asking cash only for Su-30 while credit terms for MiG-29M2 Serbia considers very bad.

RAC MiG was present on this year's Belgrade military exibition called Partner 2013 but they were vary distant and relluctant to talk about purchase of the M2 by Serbian Air Force.

Serbs have offered their Lasta piston-engined basic trainers and Kobac turboprop trainers/COIN aircraft to Russia as part of transaction for fighter jets. During Partner it has been confirmed that several African and Asian nations are interested in Lasta.

In the meantime, Serbia is considering to buy 24 ex-Hungarian MiG-29s to replace MiG-21s, and later to buy new fighers.

Also, insted of Russian-made S-300 and Buk air defence systems, MBDA is offering Aster 30 systems as well as Mica air-to-air missiles.

Now, Serbian media speculates that new government (probably will be formed by the end of this month) will abandon constitutional status of armed neutrality and join NATO next year.

Akim

Professional
Country flag
Su-30't need Serbia. MiG-29 has little inferior to him, and the exploitation of their costs 1,5 cheaper. A good option to buy the Hungarian MiG-29 and upgrade them to the 4+generation.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles