Senator proposes permanent US bases in Afghanistan

Country flag
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110102/ap_on_re_us/us_us_afghanistan

WASHINGTON – A leading GOP lawmaker on U.S. military policy says he wants American officials to consider establishing permanent military bases in Afghanistan.

Sen. Lindsay Graham of South Carolina says that having a few U.S. air bases in Afghanistan would be a benefit to the region and would give Afghan security forces an edge against the Taliban.

Graham tells NBC's "Meet the Press" that he wants to see the U.S. have "an enduring relationship" with Afghanistan to ensure that it never falls back into the hands of terrorists.

President Barack Obama plans to begin drawing down American forces in Afghanistan next year and hand over security to Afghan forces in 2014.

Obama has talked about an enduring presence in Afghanistan but not exactly what that would entail.

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
That will be a good move. Pakistanis sharpening knives for next onslaught on Afghanistan are not going to be happy with this.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Nothing new.

That was the intention as it is in Iraq where they have the largest base outside the US!

Having got a foothold in the 'cockpit of the world' with all the hot spots of the world around it, they will hardly leave without a permanent presence.

The idea is as per the Defence Policy Guidelines as enunciated by Di.ck Cheney when he was the Secretary of Defence and was enunciating the US global role post the Cold War.

KS

Bye bye DFI
India would be pleased with it.

JayATL

Its one neo-con senator who eluded to it... although I see some continued involvement over the years. BUT WE ARE SICK! as taxpayers aiding Pakistan, when they show such disdain towards Americans. We are propping up their near bankrupt economy.

BunBunCake

This isn't going to last for long. Once the Afghan government is fully recovered, they'll kick the US out. There is no such thing as a permanent base on foreign land.

Country flag
This isn't going to last for long. Once the Afghan government is fully recovered, they'll kick the US out. There is no such thing as a permanent base on foreign land.
USA will be in Afghanistan for decades with the Central Asian oil worth trillions, USA is not leaving anytime soon. If Afghanistan tries to make USA leave a pro-US puppet will be placed in power.

SHASH2K2

It will be intresting to watch reaction of Russia to this move . It will definitely piss them off. Russia would hate to see USA in its backyard.

Welcome

Country flag
No i don't think so it's a good idea.American should hand over security to Afghan forces,at last Afghanistan is nation of Afghan peoples.They r responsible for the security and development of their nation, No other country can bring long term peace and development to afghans. However it is also not good for USA bcoz permanent base means permanent expense,permanent headache and the most important Permanent GULAMI of Pakistan. it mean permanent donation to Pakistani.

JayATL

No i don't think so it's a good idea.American should hand over security to Afghan forces,at last Afghanistan is nation of Afghan peoples.They r responsible for the security and development of their nation, No other country can bring long term peace and development to afghans. However it is also not good for USA bcoz permanent base means permanent expense,permanent headache and the most important Permanent GULAMI of Pakistan. it mean permanent donation to Pakistani.
The problem with that is, a terrorist attack costs us more than having bases in Afghanistan and being proactive. makes sense now why the US won't completely abandon the area?

Welcome

Country flag
The problem with that is, a terrorist attack costs us more than having bases in Afghanistan and being proactive. makes sense now why the US won't completely abandon the area?
Do u think they can stop terrorist. I don't think so bcoz after afghan the next permanent base of terrorist will be Africa or Pakistan and how many place they will situate their permanent bases. you can not stop terrorism until there is lot of donor of terrorism.

JayATL

Do u think they can stop terrorist. I don't think so bcoz after afghan the next permanent base of terrorist will be Africa or Pakistan and how many place they will situate their permanent bases. you can not stop terrorism until there is lot of donor of terrorism.
Stopping terrorism = no attack on US soil and by taking the fight to them, distracting them to fight elsewhere. I think we have done a pretty good job of it in the last ten years? no successful attack, touch wood in 10 years.

SHASH2K2

No they will not be able to stop terrorists but If they have their assets there it will act as a guarantee for Afghanistan government. It will be years before Afghanistan will have a capable and disciplined force. Usa In Afghanistan will ensure safety for any future government from hostile takeover.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Core objective of usa will become clear soon. Freedom and democracy is an excuse only for ignorant deluded fools in west.

If we (India) were aggressive and forward thinking then i wouldn't welcome this move but since were inept i'd welcome yanky presence rather than pak or china.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles