Sell excess equipment in Afghanistan to India: US lawmaker

ladder

Country flag
India, from the day it came into existence as a sovereign nation, never had any reach, presence or control over that 128 kms., otherwise we would also have a land border with erstwhile USSR via Tajikistan. Advantage is: we can choose to ignore them altogether & focus on Paki alone.
I know, that's why I mentioned "officially".

I particularly mentioned it to show how much importance the 128 km stretch has.
Potentially our gateway to CAR.

datguy79

I don't think that is even an option.
USA doesn't believe that ANA would be able to prevent many of these equipment falling into the hands of Taliban.

Read somewhere that Taliban are now using few stolen up-armored Humvee.
I don't know how these things get stolen.

Convoy gets attacked in Pakistan and they steal it. Vehicles are useless to the Taliban anyway.

Let's wait and see what happens till the end of 2014. ANA will be getting about 500 M1117s so I am not overtly worried.

drkrn

The problem is getting then to the port. If they can get them to the port, they can ship it anywhere. Senator is wrong in his assumptions. Yeah it can be sold to Uzbekistan which has a clear land route
iran may accept the weapon transit to india.its better to arm india than pakistan

TrueSpirit

I know, that's why I mentioned "officially".

I particularly mentioned it to show how much importance the 128 km stretch has.
Potentially our gateway to CAR.
That's right. Therefore, we have a separate thread for GiIgit-Baltistan.

trackwhack

Yes we are desperate for used military equipment.:shocked:

Where will the spares and support come from. This shit will be more a liability that an asset to our forces. No Indian army chief in his right mind will allow this. Junk thrash used mounds of metal.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Its better to buy them in few hundred for Internal security, We can make our own based on these MPVs..

I am Pro in buying some of them, So that we can make our own based upon them..

=============
=============

Buffalo (mine protected vehicle)

---------------------

Cougar (mine protected vehicle)

---------------------

MaxxPro (mine protected vehicle)

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Yes we are desperate for used military equipment.:shocked:

Where will the spares and support come from. This shit will be more a liability that an asset to our forces. No Indian army chief in his right mind will allow this. Junk thrash used mounds of metal.
We can sign servicing contracts with the manufacturers. We are not North Korea or Iran.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Imported parts to run these vehicle would be too high..

Twice as much as they cost..

We can sign servicing contracts with the manufacturers. We are not North Korea or Iran.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
iran may accept the weapon transit to india.its better to arm india than pakistan
Neither US nor Iran will ageee for a transit no matter what

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Tapatalk HD

Abhijeet Dey

Country flag
I don't think the US will allow its 'american made' military equipments to pass through Iran.

Pakistan Occupied Kashmir or POK is a part of India which was illegally captured by Pakistan. So transferring equipment through Pakistan or China is also not feasible.

Solution:
1. Sell some of them to Uzbekistan.
2. The rest can transported through Turkmenistan-Caspian Sea-Azerbaijan-Armenia-Turkey-Black Sea route (very costly).
3. Since US is one of the major donor of Pakistan (or should I say an ally), they may allow transit route through Pakistan via Baluchistan.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Transportation is not an Issue..

Hire a AN-124 which can transport a dozen MPV in one go, We are hiring these birds for our needs for some time..

SilentKiller

Country flag
how about bring few models airlift give them to tata, L&T and mahindra and ask them to come up with similar reverse engineered thing in 6 months, this is for MPV's.
For ATGM and few guns they have, we can surely airlift and transport them to india.

SilentKiller

Country flag
i say use our relation and money and bring the equipment in best state to india.
send IL-76's and hire planes...our planes can send 105mm guns to afghanistan and bring back these MPV's

SilentKiller

Country flag
This is the best bet for india.....
can we get list of equipment which india might get?

TrueSpirit

how about bring few models airlift give them to tata, L&T and mahindra and ask them to come up with similar reverse engineered thing in 6 months, this is for MPV's.
For ATGM and few guns they have, we can surely airlift and transport them to india.
IP violation........

& reverse engineering is not our biggest forte.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles