Scotland to vote on independence in 2014

Will the United Kingdom breakup ?

• Total voters

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
I apologise if i misrepresented you. Since you seem very defensive I'll seek to clarify.

Taking your assumption to its natural conclusion... for the descendent of "English families" to have an effect on an independence vote thereby preventing independence taking place they would need to be in the majority. I therefore inferred that you meant that there was a majority.

Either way you are still wrong.. anyone descended from the English centuries or even a couple of generations back will almost certainly now consider themselves Welsh not English - even if they also consider themselves British (which the majority of Welsh people do).

People within the British isles are very mixed, there is no English or indeed British race. People in England with names like Hughes (Welsh) for example with mostly consider themselves English, not Welsh.
Hi Verdane :thumb::namaste: ... Hey really i had realized that i overdid it but
when i came to modify the post it was past the 20 min limit - and having other things to
do i merely let it be ..... so really i should have been more accurate with my words

not to be too technical or the need to have some kind of last word ( feel free to reply to this if you like )
or to pretend to e an authority in the subject - which i plainly admit im certainly not:-
but really i had meant that the pro-english welsh plus the later english people would sway the vote
So in that sense you might remotely interpret that as majority - were getting into percentages here

it's getting complicated so i 'll leave it at that and there's no fight here ......ultimately, your interpretation of what i had written is just as good as what i meant :shocked: :laugh: and no difficulty for me to admit that you'd know more on the subject as you've been living there for "ages " (?), so i'll accept your second para on your authority .

while studying in england for a few years, i did holiday for a short while in Cardiff and absolutely enjoyed it - a town with a village atmosphere and everyone was so neighbourly.

anyway the thread is about Scottish independence and in september i wont have a say in that .... wonder if you would ?
regards,
R

Last edited:

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
you mean it will effect but not badly ?
not an admirer of any nation other than india israel russia and usa - but the english are a very resourceful
they also are capable in creating resources which are not easily seen and not physical

firstly it's not a foregone conclusion by any means that the vote will be for independence
it's still an uphill battle either way - the no camp are feeling that they were too complacent and are taking more action

but even if england "loses" scotland, my guess is that the relationship will be like usa and canada - a close one

Last edited:

Verdane

you mean it will effect but not badly ?
I mean it wont have a bad effect - it may knock the UK a few places down international GDP rankings but it wont impact on standard of living.

But yes Scotland is recognised for both tourism and natural resources :)

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
Mr Verdane are you a Paki using different flag?

Admit it.

Compersion

Country flag
Would a independent - Scotland join the European Union

Would that be a indirect referendum on European Union by the "British people".

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
UK might be broken by its former colonies.

Scotland on its way.

Then there are different communities from India,Pakistan,Bangladesh,Africa,China etc so all these already have their own areas.Soon they would outnumber British(specially Pakis populating like rats) and ask for separate states and there might be separatist moments all over UK and British would be in minority.

Inshah Allah history would be repeated.

Ameeeeeeeeeeeen! :D

Verdane

Would a independent - Scotland join the European Union

Would that be a indirect referendum on European Union by the "British people".

Yes Scotland probably would join the EU.

But as Scotland would not longer be part of the UK I don't think that would be considered any form of referendum.

nrupatunga

Sorry if already posted on DFI.

Scotland: 100 Days to Go Until Referendum on Independence
Opinion polls show more people are planning to vote "no" on the question of whether Scotland should leave the U.K. - but it's getting closer.

The people of Scotland have just 100 days until they vote in a referendum on whether their nation will remain part of the United Kingdom or separate to form its own country.

Opinion polls between those planning to vote "yes" or "no" to the split have narrowed in recent months, but the Better Together campaign to keep Scotland in the U.K. still has a firm projected lead.

British Prime Minister David Cameron, a vocal supporter of the "no" campaign, tweeted on Monday that people in the rest of the U.K. - that is Wales, England, and Northern Ireland - must send a strong message to the Scottish people.

The non-partisan website whatscotlandthinks.com collated recent polling figures in the U.K. and its average showed 58 percent of people planned to vote "no" in the Sept. 18 poll and 42 percent "yes."

Opposition leader Ed Miliband also sent a message via Twitter urging a "no" vote and focusing on Scotland's key role in building the U.K.'s widespread welfare state.

The Better Together campaign was given a significant boost last week when President Barack Obama appeared to give it his support.

"There is a referendum process in place and it is up to the people of Scotland," he said, speaking alongside Cameron in the Belgian capital of Brussels. "The United Kingdom has been an extraordinary partner to us. From the outside at least, it looks like things have worked pretty well.

"And we obviously have a deep interest in making sure that one of the closest allies we will ever have remains a strong, robust, united and effective partner. But ultimately these are decisions that are to be made by the folks there."

Alex Salmond, the First Minister of Scotland and supporter of the "yes" campaign, said Monday he thought Cameron had asked his U.S. counterpart to weigh in on the debate.

Speaking to Good Morning Britain, the morning show of NBC News' U.K. partner ITV News, Salmond said Cameron had asked "every world leader he could possibly imagine to make interventions about Scottish independence."

The first minister also hit back at claims by U.K. Chancellor of the Exchequer George Osborne that Scotland would not be able to use the British pound, leaving it to find its own currency.

"It isn't George Osborne's pound," he told Good Morning Britain in a program marking 100 days until the vote, but a currency built up "by the people of Scotland and the rest of the UK over many years."

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
The Scots had always been quite edgy about their position in the United Kingdom. They have always wanted independence and are finally getting it. Sean`s Conneries wish is coming true it seems.

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
I think the Scots will need to apply fresh for EU membership if they separated. Can someone confirm on this?
If they have to, it will be interesting to scan the prospects of whether they'll make it into EU or not.

Verdane

I think the Scots will need to apply fresh for EU membership if they separated. Can someone confirm on this?
If they have to, it will be interesting to scan the prospects of whether they'll make it into EU or not.
No one seems to know for certain! I suspect if there is a definitive answer it's being held back by Brussels for two reasons - the EU, like any organisation prefers stability and Brussels is probably also concious that it could be accused of interference if it gave an answer.

I'm not sure there is precedent for an existing member state to separate in this way; however, I imagine Scottish membership would be fast tracked. I also suspect it would be re-admitted without any of the current British opt-outs in EU legislation, perhaps also with a requirement to adopt the Euro.

TrueSpirit1

The Nobody
Banned
While I would enjoy witnessing the Scots winning back their due, I am not exactly sure if Scotland without England would go very far...just my personal exp.

Can someone give a fair idea about what Scotland produces & sells (except for Tourism)? Unlike Ireland, Scotland is not very high on the hi-tech industry' radar or even commerce (which is England's lifeline). What does the prospects of an independent Scot nation look like...?

HMS Astute

'Impossible' for Scotland to join EU, says Barroso

AN INDEPENDENT Scotland could find it "impossible" to become a member of the European Union, the president of the European Commission has warned.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politi...or-scotland-to-join-eu-says-barroso-1-3308359

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...fficult-says-jose-manuel-barroso-9131925.html

HMS Astute

While I would enjoy witnessing the Scots winning back their due, I am not exactly sure if Scotland without England would go very far...just my personal exp.

Can someone give a fair idea about what Scotland produces & sells (except for Tourism)? Unlike Ireland, Scotland is not very high on the hi-tech industry' radar or even commerce (which is England's lifeline). What does the prospects of an independent Scot nation look like...?
scotland heavily relies on the money it gets from the north sea oil. over £15bn for welfare is largely funded by the oil money. another problem with scotland is that it has more retired people and bigger ageing population which need tremendous supports in many areas like social security, pension, welfare, free transport and elderly care than young and middle aged people who pay the tax and contribute to the economy. adolf salmond, the leader of the nationalist scottish party, whose promise of a prosperous future for the scots in an independent scotland is based on "aspiration and fantasy idea rather than reality". he has been told countless times that scotland can't use the £ when it becomes an independent nation, which is basically the same concept and rule acknowledged and agreed by all the members in the eurozone who share the common currency. he should be ashamed of himself for ignoring the reality of scotland which does not have central bank like the united kingdom has. all the scottish banks, including the rbs and others have warned that they would relocate their HQs in london if scotland voted yes. a lot of highly talented professionals and engineers in scotland depend on defence industries and shipbuilding yards which are owned by the british giant defence contractor such as the bae systems, which also has warned that they would shut down all their manufacturing sites and factories in scotland if they voted yes. i dont know what this dude with a smug face has been smoking, but he has failed to deliver any promising plans for his own people.

rather an embarrassment for scottish people

full debate...

Salmond and Darling: The Debate - Tuesday, August 5 | Catch Up | Programmes | STV Player

Last edited by a moderator:

HMS Astute

Economy of Scotland
GDP = $277 billion
GDP per capita = $52,009

Economy of London
GDP = $731 billion
GDP per capita = $152,116

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles