Scotland to vote on independence in 2014

Will the United Kingdom breakup ?

• Total voters

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
people in northern ireland are descendends of english colonizers only. they stole that land, the original irish are a small minority in northern ireland.
Battle of the Boyne - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Battle of the Boyne (Irish: Cath na Bóinne, IPA: [ˈkah n̪ˠə ˈbË oːn̪ʲə]) was fought in 1690 between two rival claimants of the English, Scottish, and Irish thrones – the Catholic King James and the Protestant King William (who had deposed James in 1688) – across the River Boyne near Drogheda on the east coast of Ireland. The battle, won by William, was a turning point in James' unsuccessful attempt to regain the crown and ultimately helped ensure the continuation of Protestant ascendancy in Ireland.

The battle took place on 1 July 1690 in the "old style" (Julian) calendar. This was equivalent to 11 July in the "new style" (Gregorian) calendar, although today its commemoration is held on 12 July.[1] William's forces defeated James' army of mostly raw recruits. The symbolic importance of this battle has made it one of the best-known battles in British–Irish history and it is a key part of the folklore for the Orange Order. Its commemoration today is principally by the Protestant Orange Institution.

William III of England

Battle of the Boyne

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
People think political correctness and madness is democracy. And that is exactly where UK is going. They are ready to accept anything in the name of "freedom of speech, action and thought".

Rather than allowing them to vote, they should technically do a USSR and trample those who ask for separate country. But alas! Years of supporting separatism whether in Bosnia, Kosovo, J&K and a hell lot of African countries is now getting their Karma back to them.

IBSA

Country flag
Good luck to Scotland, hope they vote for independence! Wonder what will happen to the UNSC seat of "Great Britain" when Scotland separates. Will it go to Scotland or stay with "England and Wales" or better, be abolished? :D
See as went on USSR case. Russia inherited most of USSR things,as nuke warheads, embassies, UN seat, scientific bases on Antarctic.

I think the same shall happens and most of worth things will stay for Disunited Kingdom. :p

devgupt

Country flag
People think political correctness and madness is democracy. And that is exactly where UK is going. They are ready to accept anything in the name of "freedom of speech, action and thought".

Rather than allowing them to vote, they should technically do a USSR and trample those who ask for separate country. But alas! Years of supporting separatism whether in Bosnia, Kosovo, J&K and a hell lot of African countries is now getting their Karma back to them.
Ahh, but ultimately USSR collapsed.
In the end Economics matters.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Ahh, but ultimately USSR collapsed.
In the end Economics matters.
By saying "doing a USSR" I meant the use of brute force.

It is not like UK hasn't done so.

UK in the 60s had fired on a group of unarmed protestors in northern Ireland seeking to rejoin rest of the Ireland. All were killed.

Can't recollect the incident's name though.

W.G.Ewald

Professional
By saying "doing a USSR" I meant the use of brute force.

It is not like UK hasn't done so.

UK in the 60s had fired on a group of unarmed protestors in northern Ireland seeking to rejoin rest of the Ireland. All were killed.

Can't recollect the incident's name though.
Bloody Sunday (1972) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bloody Sunday (Irish: Domhnach na Fola)[1][2]—sometimes called the Bogside Massacre[3]—was an incident on 30 January 1972 in the Bogside area of Derry, Northern Ireland, in which 26 unarmed civil-rights protesters and bystanders were shot by soldiers of the British Army. Thirteen males, seven of whom were teenagers, died immediately or soon after, while the death of another man four-and-a-half months later was attributed to the injuries he received on that day. Two protesters were also injured when they were run down by army vehicles.[4] Five of those wounded were shot in the back.[5] The incident occurred during a Northern Ireland Civil Rights Association march; the soldiers involved were members of the First Battalion of the Parachute Regiment (1 Para).[6]

IBSA

Country flag
Lottery winners donate $5 million to Scottish independence campaign

A Scottish couple, who won the lottery, have donated at least $5 million of their winnings to the campaign for an independent Scotland, making them Britain's biggest political donors, a newspaper reported on Sunday.

Colin Weir, a former cameraman, and his wife Chris, a former nurse, are from a seaside resort near the Scottish city of Glasgow and won $271.72 million in the Euromillions draw in 2011.

The Sunday Times newspaper, which is in the process of compiling its annual list of Britain's richest people, said its analysis had shown that the couple had given at least $5 million to those campaigning for an independent Scotland ahead of a referendum on September 18, Reuters reports.

Opinion polls suggest Scotland will vote to reject independence but that the contest is tightening a little and supporters of independence have made some ground in recent months.

The British government minister responsible for Scotland said last month that nationalists had a huge "war chest" to fund their campaign and appeared more "hungry" for victory.

The Scottish National Party (SNP) and the "Yes Scotland" campaign had received the couple's donation, the Sunday Times reported, making the Weirs Britain's biggest political donors in the last 15 months.

By contrast, the newspaper said the campaign to keep Scotland part of the United Kingdom - "Better Together" - had garnered just $1.45 million from a coalition of eight people, headed by Ian Taylor, chief executive of Vitol, the energy trader.

The report was published as an ICM poll for the Scotland on Sunday newspaper. It put the pro-independence camp on 39 percent, unchanged from a month earlier, and the anti-independence camp on 42 percent, down four percentage points.

A separate Survation poll for the Sunday Post newspaper put the pro-independence side on 38 percent, up one percentage point on 10 days earlier, and the anti-independence side on 46 percent, one percentage point lower.

Scottish media reported on Sunday that several Scottish companies had quit Britain's Confederation of British Industry (CBI) after the business lobby registered with the Electoral Commission to campaign against independence.

Lottery winners donate $5 million to Scottish independence campaign - News - World - The Voice of Russia: News, Breaking news, Politics, Economics, Business, Russia, International current events, Expert opinion, podcasts, Video

wegweg

people in northern ireland are descendends of english colonizers only. they stole that land, the original irish are a small minority in northern ireland.

The settlers were Scottish, not English and they predate the Union with England. They make up about 50% of Northern Ireland. The English settled around Dublin in 'Southern Ireland;

Verdane

My Reply :-
the reason you suggested the domino effect is by looking at the map without having a knowledge of the hidden demographics !!

the welsh population is a mere 3 million and composed of many english families who "migrated " there centuries ago but still consider themselves english and not welsh ...they would certainly NOT be in favour of any form of independence

the same is true for N ireland -many english and scottish families there - who hold to their original ethnicity and loyalty

i know that because among other reasons, i have lived there many years and spoken to many on this issue

the main and indeed ONLY contender for independence would be scotland - they have a large enough population of more than 5 million homogenous not mixed as in wales or N Ireland to form a nation immediately , have been in "the business of it for about FOUR decades ", have had a separate parliament for a long time , hold a fair bit of resentment against the colonialism of their nation and have resources including North Sea Oil to back their assurance of prosperity after independence , not to mention having top class universities , a separate scottish pound , a separate bank of scotland etc etc

i dont see the other joining in on the act , talking about it sure , but actually going for it no way - only scotland ...so there will not be any of your suggested " domino" effect even if scotland decides to leave the Kingdom.

Oh , btw i almost forgot - many thanks to member Lurkerbaba for an interesting thread !

The Welsh population is indeed 3million; but you seem very confused. I don't understand why you think the majority are "English colonisers" who think of themselves as English. This is not true.

W.G.Ewald

Professional
@Verdane it's not always appreciated around here to know what you're talking about.

Last edited by a moderator:

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
The Welsh population is indeed 3million; but you seem very confused. I don't understand why you think the majority are "English colonisers" who think of themselves as English. This is not true.
i am surprised at how you read English - is it your first language ? - please point out to me where
in my original post did i ever write that, as you incorrectly quoted:- "the majority are English colonisers" ?
either your ability to read in English is suspect - or you're the one who's confused ?

here is my entire original post again in case you had confusedly read some other post and thought it was mine :-
the reason you suggested the domino effect is by looking at the map without having a knowledge of the hidden demographics !!

the welsh population is a mere 3 million and composed of many english families who "migrated " there centuries ago but still consider themselves english and not welsh ...they would certainly NOT be in favour of any form of independence

the same is true for N ireland -many english and scottish families there - who hold to their original ethnicity and loyalty

i know that because among other reasons, i have lived there many years and spoken to many on this issue

the main and indeed ONLY contender for independence would be scotland - they have a large enough population of more than 5 million homogenous not mixed as in wales or N Ireland to form a nation immediately , have been in "the business of it for about FOUR decades ", have had a separate parliament for a long time , hold a fair bit of resentment against the colonialism of their nation and have resources including North Sea Oil to back their assurance of prosperity after independence , not to mention having top class universities , a separate scottish pound , a separate bank of scotland etc etc

i dont see the other joining in on the act , talking about it sure , but actually going for it no way - only scotland ...so there will not be any of your suggested " domino" effect even if scotland decides to leave the Kingdom.

Oh , btw i almost forgot - many thanks to member Lurkerbaba for an interesting thread !
so please tell me, where did i use the phrase majority ...etc ?

Last edited:

abhi_the _gr8_maratha

Country flag
loss of scotland will will affect UK badly.
scotland is mainly recognised for tourism and natural resources.

raja696

Soon there be a day for India to allocate some funding to England if Scotland becomes Independent and queens assets will be taken back by its people.

Verdane

i am surprised at how you read English - is it your first language ? - please point out to me where
in my original post did i ever write that, as you incorrectly quoted:- "the majority are English colonisers" ?
either your ability to read in English is suspect - or you're the one who's confused ?

here is my entire original post again in case you had confusedly read some other post and thought it was mine :-

so please tell me, where did i use the phrase majority ...etc ?
I apologise if i misrepresented you. Since you seem very defensive I'll seek to clarify.

Taking your assumption to its natural conclusion... for the descendent of "English families" to have an effect on an independence vote thereby preventing independence taking place they would need to be in the majority. I therefore inferred that you meant that there was a majority.

Either way you are still wrong.. anyone descended from the English centuries or even a couple of generations back will almost certainly now consider themselves Welsh not English - even if they also consider themselves British (which the majority of Welsh people do).

People within the British isles are very mixed, there is no English or indeed British race. People in England with names like Hughes (Welsh) for example with mostly consider themselves English, not Welsh.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles