Scotland names independence day

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Aye, fight and you may die, run, and you'll live... at least a while. And dying in your beds, many years from now, would you be willin' to trade all the days, from this day to that, for one chance, just one chance, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take our lives but they'll never take our north sea oil.

alba gu brath

- SNP speech for March 24, 2016

Now that's funny :-D

kseeker

Retired
Well we never know who is a fake here. I too was called a fake sometime back.
Hmmm. I cannot change your perception though and will not attempt to do that deliberately as well which might lead to further suspicion.

Blackwater

No, but I have great interest in Pakis and Chinis.
I have been and indians did a good thing by creating a heaven for themselves in Hanslow but unfortunatly Pakies are now converging there and claiming themselves to be indians.

Hounslow west, slough,reading,harrow,south-hall to be precise ..

Anyhow pakis are there in London but more concentrated in luton,(Bradford,Manchester(whole Yorkshire), Birmingham and scoland

Decklander

Hounslow west, slough,reading,harrow,south-hall to be precise ..

Anyhow pakis are there in London but more concentrated in luton,(Bradford,Manchester(whole Yorkshire), Birmingham and scoland
You surprised me about Luton. I thought that Indians have taken over south London due to our age old belief in Vaastu which forces us to have houses in south of a city.

t_co

What are the financial implications for England ?
BBC News - Who has a right to claim North Sea oil?

The rallying cry "It's Scotland's Oil" helped the Scottish National Party to record its best-ever result in a Westminster General Election, in 1974.

Almost 40 years later the party is closer than ever to achieving its dream of independence.

The issue of who owns the oil and gas in the waters off Scotland's coast will be one which is sure to play a big role during the campaign ahead on the referendum in autumn 2014.

Blackwater

You surprised me about Luton. I thought that Indians have taken over south London due to our age old belief in Vaastu which forces us to have houses in south of a city.
luton has more pakis than Pakistan:cool2::cool2:

nirranj

Country flag
I am happy!!!!!! Will be more Happier if the Northern Irish too get out of the United Kingdom!!! Then the English will only have the south of Britain Island!!!

Hmmm... Will the french use this opportunity to invade Dover and change the name of the Channel as Channel De Francais???

Compersion

Country flag
Is Scotland asking for a structure like Canada and Australia. Is it asking for a structure like India (pure Independence).

I believe they want to be like Canada and Australia - parliamentary democracy and a constitutional monarchy, with Queen Elizabeth II as its head of state.

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
pleasantly surprised to see this thread
just on sunday i was watching a great debate between the 2 sides
the nay-sayers are the economically chicken-hearted
who feel they need to hang onto england for econ purposes

but guys hang on to your glee .... the sides seem to be evenly balanced
with most opinion polls still favoring the non-independencers
of course those polls would be mainly done by english companies

the date would be 18 sep about when our mangalayaan probe
should reach mars or nearby

and yes the independent vote wants an arrangement like canada's
where the Q would have some symbolic position

Last edited:

nirranj

Country flag
Oh, What am I missing??

Will Captain James Bond be serving the British crown :smooch: after Scottish Independence???

The Russians and Cubans and Venezuelans will be :dancemasti::balle::gangnam::chicken: as Bond will not be there to spoil their ambitions!!!

And CIA will be :hitwall:

W.G.Ewald

Professional
What would be the impact if Scots come out of GB or UK ? What about Wales ?
If Wales becomes independent, Prince Charles would need another title.

BBC - History - Historic Figures: Edward I (1239 - 1307)

In 1270, Edward left England to join the Eighth Crusade. His father died in 1272 and Edward returned to London, arriving in August 1274. He was determined to enforce his primacy in the British Isles. The first part of his reign was dominated by his campaigns in Wales. He invaded in 1277, defeated the Welsh leader, Llywelyn ap Gruffyd and built a ring of castles to enforce his authority. When his rule provoked rebellion, he invaded again. Gruffyd was killed in battle in 1282 and his brother David executed, ending Welsh hopes of independence. Wales was brought into the English legal and administrative framework and in 1301 Edward's son was proclaimed prince of Wales - a tradition that persists to this day.

W.G.Ewald

Professional
hahaha, they pick my birthday for Scottish Independence. That would be a great day if it passed.
Another French connection:

BBC - History - Historic Figures: Edward I (1239 - 1307)

In 1292, Edward was asked to arbitrate in a succession dispute in Scotland and nominated John Balliol as king. Balliol duly swore allegiance to Edward, but Edward's demands pushed the Scots into an alliance with France. Edward invaded and conquered Scotland. Opposition gathered around William Wallace, but he was captured by the English and executed in 1305. In 1306, the Scottish nobleman Robert the Bruce rebelled.

Edward was on his way to fight Bruce when he died, on 7 July 1307.

tramp

Cameron urges Scots to stay part of 'most brilliant country in history'

The United Kingdom has only seven months to "save the most extraordinary, buccaneering, brilliant country in history", David Cameron warned on Friday in a passionate and personal plea to stop Scotland from breaking away.

The prime minister said he was making his intervention because he wanted Scots to realise that people in England, Wales and Northern Ireland were not looking the other way or walking on by as it made its fateful decision.

"It's so important for Scotland to realise that the rest of the family see this as a very important family decision," he told an audience at the velodrome in London's Olympic Park.

The speech was designed to persuade wavering Scots that the rest of the UK desperately wants them to remain in the union, and regards their contribution as integral to "Brand Britain". The prime minister was also reminding his sometimes indifferent Conservative party that they are a unionist party.

The Scottish National party said the speech was a sign that Downing Street was starting to panic in the face of polls showing a slow rise in support for independence. Nicola Sturgeon, the deputy first minister, said the speech reaching out to Scots was a sign that No 10 had realised that trying to frighten them was not working.

The SNP is convinced that Cameron will be finished if the Scots vote yes.

In his speech, Cameron said everyone in the UK had a voice in this year's historic referendum, and urged people across the country to "pick up the phone" to friends and family in Scotland to urge them to vote against independence in September.

After setting out the moral, economic, geopolitical and diplomatic arguments against Scottish independence, Cameron said there was "an emotional, patriotic case" that traditionally reticent Brits, fearful of waving the flag, had been too reluctant to make.

Alex Salmond, the Scottish first minister, accused him of being part of an "out-of-touch Westminster elite" and insisted an independent Scotland would maintain close ties with the rest of the UK.

The SNP leader said: "This speech was a threadbare defence of the case for Westminster Tories retaining their undemocratic control over Scotland, which betrays the utter weakness of the prime minister's case.

"David Cameron said he will 'fight with all he has' against Scotland's independence – but that doesn't extend to having a head-to-head debate on the subject.

"If David Cameron is still not prepared to do that but continues to deliver lectures from London, people will draw their own conclusions from that."

Cameron is aware that he is not the most persuasive voice in Scotland, but believes he cannot avoid the debate.

He said: "Some people have advised me to stay out of this issue – and not to get too sentimental about the UK," but added: "I care far too much to stay out of it."

Cameron drew on his Scottish blood, saying that while the Scottish root of his name meant "crooked nose", the Cameron clan motto was "let us unite".

He said he would be making further speeches in Scotland and taking the cabinet to Scotland, and wanted to set out his belief that the UK family would be diminished if the Scots took the irreversible decision to leave.

Trying to revive the patriotic spirit of the Olympics, he said: "Sometimes we can forget just how big our reputation is, that the world over the letters 'UK' stand for unique, brilliant, creative, eccentric, ingenious. We come as a brand – a powerful brand. Separating Scotland out of that brand would be like separating the waters of the river Tweed and the North Sea. If we lost Scotland, if the UK changed, we would rip the rug from under our own reputation. The plain fact is we matter more in the world together.

"Our reach is about much more than military might Рit's about our music, film, TV, fashion. The UK is the soft power superpower: you get teenagers in Tokyo and Sydney listening to Emeli Sand̩; people in Kazakhstan and Taiwan watching BBC exports like Sherlock, written by a Scot a hundred years ago, played by an Englishman today, and created for TV by a Scotsman."

And he said he wanted his daughter to be able to read his favourite childhood book – HE Marshall's Our Island Story: A History of Britain for Boys and Girls from the Romans to Queen Victoria – which tells the "great, world-beating story" of the UK.

He said: "I passionately hope that my children will be able to teach their children the same – that the stamp on their passport is a mark of pride. That together, these islands really do stand for something more than the sum of our parts.

"This is our home – and I could not bear to see that home torn apart. I love this country. I love the United Kingdom and all it stands for and I will fight with all I have to keep us together."

In a warning to people who have so far given the referendum debate little attention, he said: "Centuries of history hang in the balance; a question mark hangs over the future of our United Kingdom.

"If people vote yes in September, then Scotland will become an independent country. There will be no going back."

Cameron said for him the best thing about the Olympics "wasn't the winning; it was the red, the white, the blue. It was the summer that patriotism came out of the shadows and into the sun. Everyone cheering as one for Team GB."

He ended his speech with a plea to everyone in the UK to urge Scotland to stay: "I want to be clear to everyone listening. There can be no complacency about the result of this referendum. The outcome is still up in the air and we have just seven months to go. Seven months to do all we can to keep our United Kingdom as one. Seven months to save the most extraordinary country in history.

"You do have an influence. Get on the phone, get together, email, tweet, speak. Let the message ring out from Manchester to Motherwell, from Pembrokeshire to Perth, from Belfast to Bute, from us to the people of Scotland – let the message be this: we want you to stay."

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles