Scorpene v/s. Agosta: Silent killers of the deep

tharikiran

Country flag
The fact is, no matter what Pak does by buying submarines, karachi will be shut down in war.If our boats can't go in. Then the missiles will do the job. karachi is always within range.
Won't be suprised if our MKI's are given the job this time.

AJSINGH

they have one major port , karachi , wont take much to block it , and P wont be crazy to go on suicide mission and risk its precious submarines and ships . they know war will get over but their ships wont be back once damaged beyond repair
same thing happened in 1971 war , IN blocked the karachi port and PN ships did not dare to come close

Zoravar

we payed close to 600million each for these?Agnosta has higher diving endurance and surfaced range.No fair.

sandeepdg

we payed close to 600million each for these?Agnosta has higher diving endurance and surfaced range.No fair.
Dude, higher diving endurance and surface range doesn't make it better ! Read the comparisons by Atul on previous pages, you will get the true picture. Range is of no use to Pakistani Navy, your main adversary is hardly 800 kms away from your main base. And other than that PN doesn't have the capability or the need to venture far out from its territorial waters. Its main purpose is defense from an IN onslaught on Karachi and other coastal areas of concern.

Country flag
P8-I's will track the sub in pakistan's waters, chances of the subs coming back are slim once they get into deeper waters.

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
so scorpene or agosta is the best?
Any Submarine is only as good as it's crew,only in the extremely rare case of both having the same expertise does technology have a deciding factor which is however not to say that a 25 yr old foxtrot could take on a agosta and win (though it is not theoretically impossible as well.)

souryab

Thanks

Guys, my thanks to all of you for reading my article and commenting on it. I am the Sourya Biswas which Atul has kindly reproduced at the beginning of this thread. :emot163:

While I appreciate Atul's copy-pasting the article to enable several people to read it who otherwise wouldn't have, a link to the original article should have been provided. For your reference, this is it:

http://www.domain-b.com/industry/defence/20080226_scorpene.html

Regards,
Sourya Biswas.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles