Saudi Arabia beheads Sri Lankan maid

blank_quest

Country flag
Disappointing. You are unable to respond to any of my points and so you are diverting the topic with irrelevant nonsense.
BTW Beheading is permitted and its based on Quran and Hadith , no doubt about it. Customs can't bypass Quran/Hadith where it has prescribed the punishment "strictly".

Refute this as nonsense :dude:

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
BTW Beheading is permitted and its based on Quran and Hadith , no doubt about it. Customs can't bypass Quran/Hadith where it has prescribed the punishment "strictly".

Refute this as nonsense :dude:
Did I ever argue that beheading is NOT permitted or based on the Quran/Hadith? Who are you arguing against? I am saying that not every country interprets the Quran/Hadith in their literal, 7th century sense - only the Wahhabis are adamant about the literal interpretation of Quran/Hadith and advocate a return to the "glories" of the 7th century.

I have also posted clear examples where local customs have influenced the practice of Islam and application of Islamic law, and this cannot be denied. As Islam spread to other countries, it absorbed and mingled with local influences, so that the nature of Islam itself was shaped by existing cultural norms. This is clearly seen all over the world, whether it be Malian Muslim women refusing to wear the veil and be secluded, or Indian sufis practicing yoga and meditation, or Persian Muslims saluting Cyrus the Great and wearing the farvahar.

blank_quest

Country flag
Did I ever argue that beheading is NOT permitted or based on the Quran/Hadith? Who are you arguing against? I am saying that not every country interprets the Quran/Hadith in their literal, 7th century sense - only the Wahhabis are adamant about the literal interpretation of Quran/Hadith and advocate a return to the "glories" of the 7th century.

let alone any Iranian leave Islam, as Wahabism is NOT in Iran what will be its punishment?? Can it be anything except death?

vishwaprasad

Country flag
Jan 09, Colombo: Sri Lanka, shocked by the execution of housemaid Rizana Nafeek this morning by Saudi Arabian authorities despite pleas to stay an execution order, deplored her execution in Dawadmy, Saudi Arabia.

"President Rajapaksa and the Government of Sri Lanka deplore the execution of Miss Rizana Nafeek despite all efforts at the highest level of the government and the outcry of the people locally and internationally over the death sentence of a juvenile housemaid," Sri Lanka's External Affairs Ministry issuing a statement said today.

"President Rajapaksa and the Government of Sri Lanka convey their deepest condolences to the bereaved family and join the people of Sri Lanka who sympathize with the bereaved family on the loss of the life of Rizana," the Ministry said.

Minister of Foreign Employment Promotion and Welfare Dilan Perera, saddened by the housemaid's demise, said in parliament today that all efforts made to get Rizana released had failed.

"It was sad that despite all efforts made to release Rizana, it had failed," he has said.

Minister Perera said the Sri Lankan government will do everything possible to realize Nafeek's dream of uplifting the economic condition of her family. :thumb:

A special religious programme will be held in Colombo on Saturday (12), the Minister said inviting all to attend the event, irrespective of political differences.

Nafeek was sentenced to death in 2007 by a Dawadmy court for allegedly murdering her Saudi employer's infant son while she was bottle feeding the four month old baby. Nafeek claimed the baby accidentally choked while the parents claimed she committed premeditated murder.

The housemaid, who was 17 at the time of the alleged crime, had gained employment in 2005 through an employment agency in Sri Lanka which falsified her age in documents to appear as she was 23 years old.

The Sri Lankan government had arranged for an appeal against the death sentence with the assistance of the Asian Human Rights Organization based in Hong Kong but the Superior Court of Saudi Arabia reconfirmed the death sentence in 2010.

President Mahinda Rajapaksa has made personal appeals on two occasions immediately after the confirmation of the death sentence and a few days ago to stop the execution and grant pardon to Nafeek.

The External Affairs Ministry said the government pursued all avenues to have Nafeek released from the death row and sent several Ministerial delegations to the Kingdom.

External Affairs Minister Prof. G.L. Peiris had in writing requested his Saudi Arabian counterpart not to carry out the Sri Lankan housemaid's death sentence.

The government had also arranged for Nafeek's parents to visit Saudi Arabia twice in 2008 and 2011 to see their daughter and also to perform Umra to pray for her release, the Ministry said. (This really made me happy as I thought poor girl couldn't even meet her parents) :)

Human rights organizations worldwide including Amnesty Internationals and Human Rights Watch requested the Saudi authorities to stay the execution order and pardon Nafeek.

Nafeek's death sentence has received worldwide attention and requests to spare her life as international law prohibits the death penalty for crimes committed before the age of 18.

Sri Lanka : Sri Lanka deplores execution of underage housemaid in Saudi Arabia

Hope Sri Lanka Govt keeps its promise (I am sure they will do as they are not like our Govt) and build a good house and keep some investments on the name of her parents so in this age they won't have any financial problem

Last edited:

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
If the woman (maid) in question, had indeed consciously smothered the child, then she fully deserves to be executed.
She doesn't deserve any sympathy simply because she's 17. What I'm saying if she had an intent to kill the child and did so with full awareness, then there is no question that she needs to be killed. I would have shown mercy if she was maybe below the age of 12 or 13.
As for beheading, well there are cleaner ways to do it, but then, it's their country their customs. End of story.

pmaitra

The Saudis have demonstrated that they are incapable of mercy. When they will be in need or want, they should be duly denied mercy.

Moreover, there should be a worldwide restriction on people visiting KSA. I think GoI already has a restriction in place that prevent young women from traveling to KSA under any circumstances.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
The Saudis had beheaded a Pakistani for drug smuggling!

Master beheaders!

Mahakalika is the supreme head hunter with a garland of heads around her neck.....

Head is one of the weapons adorned by Gauri.....

Khadagam Chap Gadeshu kulisham Chakram Dhanu shyakam.......bhushandim sira - refers..

It is a supreme weapon of terror being the ultimate symbol of death....

That is why Pakistanis resort to beheading - to terrorise, as per Islamic concept of Terror ....

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
The Saudis have demonstrated that they are incapable of mercy. When they will be in need or want, they should be duly denied mercy.

Moreover, there should be a worldwide restriction on people visiting KSA. I think GoI already has a restriction in place that prevent young women from traveling to KSA under any circumstances.
Yes but the Saudies travel to India to do whatever they wish to and our Wahabi brotherans oblige .....

pmaitra

Yes but the Saudies travel to India to do whatever they wish to and our Wahabi brotherans oblige .....
It is usually the princes who do whatever they want and get away. Last time I heard two princes were arrested in Russia for stealing a bird (or something like that).

They should be immediately arrested, if they do something bad, and jailed or deported, and the incident well publicized.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
It is usually the princes who do whatever they want and get away. Last time I heard two princes were arrested in Russia for stealing a bird (or something like that).

They should be immediately arrested, if they do something bad, and jailed or deported, and the incident well publicized.
What did Britain do to the Gay murderer prince of Saudi?

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag

Ha Ha Ha..

They conduct thousands of one week marriages in India and Pakistan. And people oblige.
They have private game sencturies and airports in Pakistan...

They take hundreds of children every year for their camel races....

What not and what not...... they virtually own Pakistan...

pmaitra

Ha Ha Ha..

They conduct thousands of one week marriages in India and Pakistan. And people oblige.
They have private game sencturies and airports in Pakistan...

They take hundreds of children every year for their camel races....

What not and what not...... they virtually own Pakistan...
They can do this only in India and Pakistan. I haven't heard them of trying anything like that in Iran. They'd end up getting stoned to death. Iran has bigger marbles than India.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
They can do this only in India and Pakistan. I haven't heard them of trying anything like that in Iran. They'd end up getting stoned to death. Iran has bigger marbles than India.
Yes, I am referring to live cut, uncut, polished and unpolished marbles and ioinics

pmaitra

I amsure once back in Saudi he must be free and doing all the stuff you know :D
Well, yeah, because he is a prince.

The Saudis have no sense of justice. They are still a bunch of Bedouins. They have this concept of blood money.

I know an Indian carpenter who went to Saudi to work. He was part of a group of carpenters. They even used to do Durga Puja. The Saudi authorities knew that. The condition was that the idol would have to be transported in a sealed container and the rituals performed inside a closed hall so that no one can see, and the idol should be disposed off so that no one can see. It all depends upon how much leverage the employer has with the authorities.

I remember there was an Indian Abdul Latif Naushad who was pardoned by the Saudis after Indian government put pressure. If you are influential, you can secure your citizens. Unfortunately, Sri Lanka is not that influential. I bet the Saudis will not try such nonsense with US citizens.

vishwaprasad

Country flag
Well, yeah, because he is a prince.

The Saudis have no sense of justice. They are still a bunch of Bedouins. They have this concept of blood money.

I know an Indian carpenter who went to Saudi to work. He was part of a group of carpenters. They even used to do Durga Puja. The Saudi authorities knew that. The condition was that the idol would have to be transported in a sealed container and the rituals performed inside a closed hall so that no one can see, and the idol should be disposed off so that no one can see. It all depends upon how much leverage the employer has with the authorities.

I remember there was an Indian Abdul Latif Naushad who was pardoned by the Saudis after Indian government put pressure. If you are influential, you can secure your citizens. Unfortunately, Sri Lanka is not that influential. I bet the Saudis will not try such nonsense with US citizens.
wasn't it possible for Sri Lanka to ask China to interfere...I am sure if they could have made China to interfere in this matter these spineless arabs would have let the poor girl go away....

Global Defence

New threads

Articles