Saudi Arabia beheads Sri Lankan maid

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
Saudi Arabia defied international protests Wednesday by beheading a Sri Lankan maid convicted of smothering an infant child, despite her being aged just 17 at the time of the offence.

A sword-wielding executioner carried out the death sentence on Rizana Nafeek in Dawadmy, near Riyadh, just hours after the Saudi Interior Ministry ratified the court verdict against her.

Nafeek was sentenced to death in 2007 for smothering the four-month-old boy while working as his nanny. She had been accused of killing the baby two years earlier after an argument with his mother. Nafeek said the child had choked to death on milk during a bottle feed.

The Sri Lankan government appealed the death penalty, but the Saudi Supreme Court upheld it in 2010. Despite an international campaign for clemency, that verdict was ratified by the interior ministry.

Rizana Nafeek, a 17-year-old Sri Lankan maid, beheaded in Saudi Arabia | World | News | National Post

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
The Saudis had beheaded a Pakistani for drug smuggling!

Master beheaders!

Raj30

Sri Lanka recalls ambassador over Saudi execution - Channel NewsAsia

COLOMBO: Sri Lanka recalled its ambassador to Saudi Arabia Thursday to protest the beheading of a maid in the kingdom as her family pressed for her remains to be flown home.

Sri Lanka's Foreign Secretary Karunatillake Amunugama said they asked ambassador Ahmed A. Jawad to return home immediately to register Colombo's protest over Wednesday's execution of Rizana Nafeek at a prison near Riyadh.

"We are recalling him to show our displeasure," Amunugama told reporters in Colombo. He said Sri Lanka had made repeated appeals to spare her life.

The move came as President Mahinda Rajapakse deplored the execution which was carried out despite his latest clemency appeal over the weekend.

The family of Nafeek was in shock after hearing of the beheading and was pleading with the authorities to bring back her body, said family friend, Abdul Jihad, in the eastern village of Muttur.

"The family is completely heartbroken," Jihad, 46, told AFP by telephone. "They want Rizana's body brought back, although we have been told that they have already buried her."

Jihad, a science teacher at a local school who had taught Rizana, said the Sri Lankan authorities had earlier raised the family's hopes with their repeated appeals for clemency.

"The villagers will pray for her tomorrow after Friday prayers," Jihad said, adding that Rizana had travelled to Saudi Arabia in 2005 to work as a housemaid when she was barely 17.

She had hoped to earn enough to build a house for her family, who are living in a makeshift home, said Jihad.

"The mother is still in shock and her father is very ill and will be hospitalised soon," he added.

The European Union expressed dismay and said it had asked Saudi authorities to commute the death penalty.

Sri Lankan newspapers carried banner headlines about the execution and parliament observed a minute's silence on Wednesday, while some lawmakers called for a ban on sending local women to Saudi Arabia to work as housemaids.

Human rights groups have condemned the beheading, noting that Nafeek was just 17 when she was accused of killing the baby of her Saudi employer.

She was found guilty of smothering the infant after an argument with the child's mother, the Saudi interior ministry has said.

Human Rights Watch (HRW) said Nafeek had retracted "a confession" that she said was made under duress. She said the baby died in a choking accident while drinking from a bottle.

"In executing Rizana Nafeek, Saudi authorities demonstrated callous disregard for basic humanity as well as Saudi Arabia's international legal obligations," the New York-based watchdog's senior women's rights researcher, Nisha Varia, said.

Last year the ultra-conservative Muslim kingdom beheaded 76 people, according to an AFP tally based on official figures, while HRW put the number at 69.

- AFP/jc

venkat

sometime ago a saudi prince murdered his male servant maid apparently in a gay sexual act in London? so what punishment did this gay prince got? may be roaming Scot free in his ferrari!!!

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
The executioner is quite the celebrity in Saudi Arabia it seems

Last edited by a moderator:

pmaitra

RIP LANCE NAIK HEM RAJ

YOUR REVENGE HAS BEEN ACHIEVED....

FOR A COUNTRY THAT BEHEADS OTHERS SOLDIERS CUNNINGLY

WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND / KARMA IS REALLY A BITCH PROVES RIGHT

Saudi Arabia beheads Pakistani for drug trafficking :- Saudi Arabia beheads Pakistani for drug trafficking | World | DAWN.COM
Now, from the news above:

Arshad Mohammed was arrested for smuggling heroin and hashish into the kingdom, the ministry was quoted as saying by the official SPA news agency.
Note, the key word is 'hashish.'

Now, let us explore the word 'assassin.'

Assassins (Arabic: حشاشين Ḥashshāshīn, Modern Turkish: Haşhaşiler, also Hashishin, Hassassin, or Hashashiyyin) is a misnomer for the Nizari Ismailis applied abusively to them by the Mustali Ismailis during the fall of the decaying Ismaili Fatimid Empire when the two streams separated from each other. In 1122 the Mustalian dynasty Fatimid caliph al-Amir referred to the Nizaris separated from them and "now firmly established in Persia and Syria", abusively as the hashishiyya "without any explanation" and "without actually accusing them of using hashish, a product of hemp".
[HR][/HR]
All Hashashins were trained in both the art of combat as in the study of religion, believing that they were on a jihad and were religious warriors. Some consider them the Templars of Islam and, as such, also formed an order with varying degrees of initiation.
Source: Assassins - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So, the question is, is usage of hashish allowed in Islam or not? I would like to know what Wahhabi interpreters have to say about this.

vishwaprasad

Country flag
I know these fat a$$ lazy arabs...to hide their own crimes they must have targeted poor SL girl who was away from her family to earn money and build house for her parents...I am sure the girl must be innocent...rest in peace my Srilankan sister....

Sam2012

Tihar Jail
Banned
Saudi Arabia defied international protests Wednesday by beheading a Sri Lankan maid convicted of smothering an infant child, despite her being aged just 17 at the time of the offence.

A sword-wielding executioner carried out the death sentence on Rizana Nafeek in Dawadmy, near Riyadh, just hours after the Saudi Interior Ministry ratified the court verdict against her.

Nafeek was sentenced to death in 2007 for smothering the four-month-old boy while working as his nanny. She had been accused of killing the baby two years earlier after an argument with his mother. Nafeek said the child had choked to death on milk during a bottle feed.

The Sri Lankan government appealed the death penalty, but the Saudi Supreme Court upheld it in 2010. Despite an international campaign for clemency, that verdict was ratified by the interior ministry.

Rizana Nafeek, a 17-year-old Sri Lankan maid, beheaded in Saudi Arabia | World | News | National Post
This is cruel these idiots are good for only this killing womens & 90 year old freak marrying 20 year old girl & torturing

But Srilanka can send their Jf-17thunders to saudi & bomb them which are about to buy:thumb: or ask their all weather ally Pak to fight off saudis:thumb:

Sri Lanka to buy six China-made fighter jets - China News - SINA English

vishwaprasad

Country flag
Please read below quotes which shows how poor workers from poor countries are treated in ME states and by those cruel brainless arabs,

On Wednesday, the Saudi Arabian government beheaded Rizana Nafeek, a Sri Lankan woman who had worked as a maid in the kingdom, holding her responsible for the death of the four-month-old baby of her employer.
Nafeek—the daughter of an impoverished wood-cutter from a village in Trincomalee, in northern Sri Lanka—was a seventeen-year-old in the second week of her job as a maid in the Saudi town of Dawadmi when the child died in her care on May 22, 2005. She said that she had been bottle-feeding him when he choked. Her employer, Naif Al-Otaibi, accused her of strangling the child after an argument with his wife and took her to a local police station, where she was arrested.
Nafeek was tried in the Dawadmi High Court without legal representation. The main evidence against Nafeek was a "confession" she had signed in the police station. On June 16, 2007, the Dawadmi High Court sentenced her to death. After the news of her conviction spread, Fernando Basil, a Sri Lankan expatriate who runs the Hong Kong-based human-rights group Asian Human Rights Commission, hired a Saudi lawyer named Kateb Al Shammari and appealed Nafeek's conviction.
To lift up her family from desperate poverty, Nafeek had dropped out of high school in Mutter village near Trincomalee in Sri Lanka and moved to Saudi Arabia to work as a maid. Men from domestic-worker recruiting agencies based in the Sri Lankan capital, Colombo, tour the countryside selling Saudi and Gulf dreams of prosperity to impoverished families. It is a process that is replicated in India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, and the Philippines, among other places. Nafeek's family was convinced, but they faced a technical problem: she was a minor, seventeen years old, born on February 4, 1988. For a fee, the agent made her passport with a falsified date of birth, which listed her as a twenty three year old, born on February 2, 1982. And with that Nafeek became one of the twenty-five million migrant domestic workers in the Middle East, mostly from Asia and Africa.
Although their remittances lift their societies from stark poverty, a foreign maid steps into a world of abuse, overwork, and suspicion. Migrant workers enter Saudi Arabia and most other oil-rich Middle Eastern countries through a system known as kafala, or sponsorship. Kafala has happier roots; it is the Bedouin tradition of granting a stranger temporary refuge and feeding him as long as he wishes. In the modern Arab world, kafala has become an oppressive, non-transferable visa regime, which ensures that a foreign worker can only work for the kafeel, the employer who sponsored his/her visa. On a worker's arrival, the kafeel generally confiscates his or her passport, and the worker is left with little protection.
Now an interview taken by new yorker reporter with 2 Indian workers throws more light on this
I got a whiff of this phenomenon last fall when I was reporting on the Hajj pilgrimage and Mecca for The New Yorker. One evening, I walked into a small Internet café near my hotel. Two young Indian men managed the café. After I had answered my e-mails, I bought a coffee and we chatted. They were from Faizabad, a small town in the north Indian state of Uttar Pradesh.

Sohail, the younger, a wiry man who served coffee and tea and cleaned the place, had been working there for a year. When I told him that I had been to his town several times as a reporter, his eyes brimmed with tears.

"I worked in a garage as a mechanic, but I didn't make enough. I got married and had a child. So I came here. I thought I am going to Mecca. I will get to perform the Hajj and earn a lot more than I ever would," he said. "I didn't know people here would treat us like dirt."

He pointed to a chubby Saudi boy, who was a regular at the café and called himself "Funky Monkey" (his video-game username). "Every time he feels like, he would slap me. It is the same with other local customers. You are a little late complying an order and they bark at you, slap you." He added, "Here you can't appeal to anyone. My passport is with my kafeel and I can only go home when he allows me to." Imran, the older counterman, consoled him. "You are here now! Get used to it. Do I cry? I haven't been able to return home in three years," Imran said.

"Why not?" I asked Imran.
"My kafeel has my passport. He keeps making excuses, delaying it. He doesn't want to lose business if I go away. And he has to pay all my money that is with him and buy me the return ticket home."
And yet, Imran said, "We still have it easy. Working here is much worse for the maids."

There are about one-and-a-half million female domestic workers in Saudi Arabia. "You would have heard about what happened to that Indonesian woman," Imran remarked.

I hadn't.

Sumiati Binti Salan Mustapa, I learned, was a twenty-three-year-old Indonesian maid who had been hospitalized in the Saudi city of Medina in November of 2010, after her employer had cut off her lips with scissors, burnt her back with an iron, pulped her legs with beatings, and broken a finger. Mustapa, who had been working in Medina for four months when she was hospitalized, told Indonesian diplomats that her employers had been beating her from the first day of work.
Days after her ordeal, Saudi employers murdered another Indonesian maid, the thirty-six-year-old Kikim Komalasari, whose body had been dumped in a garbage bin.

In yet another incident in the Saudi capital of Riyadh, a forty-nine-year-old Sri Lankan maid named Lahadapurage Daneris Ariyawathie had nails and metal objects hammered into her by her employers in March, 2010, after she complained of being overworked.

Such abuse is not an aberration, but is widespread throughout Saudi Arabia as well as other Middle Eastern countries. A 2010 Human Rights Watch report, "As If I Am Not Human," based on extensive interviews with domestic workers in Saudi Arabia as well as in their home countries, described conditions amounting to modern-day slavery:

Most domestic workers reported working 15-20 hours a day, typically with one hour of rest or no rest at all. None of the interviewees had a day off or paid leave. Domestic workers reported having to work even when ill or injured and had little access to health care. Furthermore, many domestic workers were employed in large houses but reported inadequate living accommodations, including having to sleep in areas such as storage closets, and in one case, a bathroom.

Sexual abuse of domestic workers by employers in Saudi Arabia seems not uncommon, according to the Human Rights Watch report. "Examples of abuse included beatings, deliberate burnings with hot irons, threats, insults, and forms of humiliation such as shaving a domestic worker's head. We interviewed women who reported rape, attempted rape, and sexual harassment, typically by male employers or their sons, and in some instances, by other foreign workers whom they had approached for assistance," the report added. An Indonesian woman named Darsem Binti Dawud was sentenced to death in 2009 after killing her employer, who she said was trying to rape her; she eventually returned home in July, 2011, after, according to Saudi tradition, the slain employer's family agreed to waive her death sentence in exchange for blood money—an amount of U.S. $549,900, which was paid by the Indonesian government.
And now the sad part of Rizzana's story when she was inside jail :(

In 2008, more than three years after Nafeek was arrested, the lawyer Kateb Al Shammari was able to defend her case in the same Dawadmi High Court that had sentenced her to death. In the course of the off-and-on hearings over the next months, a complicated picture began to emerge.
On the date of the infant's death, Al-Shammari argued, Nafeek was a minor; he produced her birth certificate to back up his claim. Saudi Arabia, a signatory to the Convention on the Rights of the Child, is obliged not to execute a person convicted of a crime when he or she was a minor. (The United States is a signatory, as well, but remains one of the three countries, apart from Somalia and South Sudan, who have not ratified it.)

Al Shammari also argued that Nafeek had not been hired as a nanny, but a general maid, and had no prior training in child care. She was a left alone to feed the child, and didn't know how to save him when he choked. In an affidavit, Nafeek says that while she was feeding the baby, she saw milk oozing out of his mouth and nose.

Nafeek, who appeared in the court during the hearings, told the judges that her confession at the Dawadmi police station had been made under duress and as a result of a physical assault. Shariah Law, which applies in Saudi Arabia, does not accept statements made under duress.

Her lawyer raised questions about the linguistic capability of Mustaffa Saibo, an immigrant worker, who had translated the confession, and sought to cross-examine him. But the judge dismissed that request: according to Saibo's employer, he had left Saudi Arabia.
If the Saudi authorities conducted an autopsy or any other forensic inquiry to establish the cause of death of the infant, they have kept strangely quiet about it. I found no mention of any medical inquiry in the press coverage of the case and researchers at Human Rights Watch who followed the case hadn't come across any either. Given the international pressure, one would expect Saudi prosecutors to produce one if they had it.
The Dawadmi High Court had been instructed to hear the case and pass its observations to the Supreme Court. Finally, in October of 2010, the Saudi Supreme Court in Riyadh endorsed the death sentence for Nafeek, holding her guilty of murder.

For the next two years, Nafeek remained on death row. Saudi Law grants the family members of a victim the right to pardon the life of the person who faces death for killing their relative in exchange for blood money. The Al-Otaibis turned down the clemency pleas. So did the Saudi King, despite appeals from the Sri Lankan government.
Nafeek remained in prison in Dawadmi.

(this I felt saddest) :(
A Sri Lankan woman, Kifaya Iftikhar, who works as a dentist in Riyadh, would visit her every month or two. "She wasn't bothered by anyone in the prison. She was fed and treated well there," Iftikhar told me. The two women developed a routine. As Iftikhar was about to reach Nafeek's prison, she would call her mother in Sri Lanka and tell her to be ready to speak to the daughter. Inside the prison cell, Iftikhar would call again and let Nafeek speak to her mother. Even after the Supreme Court had confirmed her death sentence, Nafeek was still hopeful. "She didn't realize that her chances of getting out were very bleak. Even in my last meeting with her a month earlier, she talked about when she would be released," Iftikhar added. Iftikhar and Nafeek's family decided against speaking to her about her execution, although there were rumors, for the past month, that the date would be soon.
On Wednesday morning, Iftikhar travelled again from Riyadh to Dawadmi prison to visit Nafeek. As she approached the prison, she called Nafeek's mother to prepare her for a conversation with her daughter. At the prison gate, the guards stopped Iftikhar. "You can't meet her today. Please come back tomorrow or some other time," a guard said. She began her journey back to Riyadh. At a stop in the journey, Iftikhar read about Nafeek's execution. She couldn't bring herself to tell Nafeek's mother about her execution and called one of her neighbours and said, "We have lost her."
A Maid's Execution in Saudi Arabia : The New Yorker

Energon

DFI stars
Ambassador
Country flag
I spent some time in the Middle East as a child and even back then I knew Saudi Arabia was a POS. It's literally a medieval society with a barrage of Porches. Granted the entire region was composed of tribal societies which suddenly came upon oil. However some countries have at least tried to modernize and elevate their population. Saudi Arabia is not one of them.

The fact of the matter is that low skilled workers in Arab countries are extremely vulnerable to abuse. Unfortunately for them it's still worth the risk given the even poorer conditions at home. I can't speak for all South Asian countries. But a country like India (the only one I know) can definitely implement labor and economic reform to create opportunities for low skilled workers at home (currently the most neglected). In fact, if India were serious about building an infrastructure it actually has a ready-made trained workforce which it can attract back home.

Sam2012

Tihar Jail
Banned
I spent some time in the Middle East as a child and even back then I knew Saudi Arabia was a POS. It's literally a medieval society with a barrage of Porches. Granted the entire region was composed of tribal societies which suddenly came upon oil. However some countries have at least tried to modernize and elevate their population. Saudi Arabia is not one of them.

The fact of the matter is that low skilled workers in Arab countries are extremely vulnerable to abuse. Unfortunately for them it's still worth the risk given the even poorer conditions at home. I can't speak for all South Asian countries. But a country like India (the only one I know) can definitely implement labor and economic reform to create opportunities for low skilled workers at home (currently the most neglected). In fact, if India were serious about building an infrastructure it actually has a ready-made trained workforce which it can attract back home.
Americans always support democracy if im not wrong? what kind of democracy is that in saudi beheading people but u support saudis a lot i think u need the OIL

Oh i forgot u people are double standard u support those with whom ur intrest is , doesn't matter what dirty thing they do .Keep it up super power:thumb:

Remember Al queeda & Taliban frankenstein whom u created in 80's is kicking u people badly in afghan all the best :sad::lol::taunt::thumb::namaste:

blank_quest

Country flag
Don't mix Islam and Arab culture.
The Quran discusses this battle in sura Al-Ahzab, ayat (verses) 9-27, 33:9–27.[82] During the battle, the Jewish tribe of Banu Qurayza, located at the south of Medina, had entered into negotiations with Meccan forces to revolt against Muhammad. Although they were swayed by suggestions that Muhammad was sure to be overwhelmed, they desired reassurance in case the confederacy was unable to destroy him. No agreement was reached after the prolonged negotiations, in part due to sabotage attempts by Muhammad's scouts.[142] After the coalition's retreat, the Muslims accused the Banu Qurayza of treachery and besieged them in their forts for 25 days. The Banu Qurayza eventually surrendered; according to Ibn Ishaq, all the men apart from a few who converted to Islam were beheaded, while the women and children were enslaved.[138][143][144]
Muhammad - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

blank_quest

Country flag
Yes, true, but such acts are there in Mahabharata as well. Those were the days, but this type of capital punishment is not compatible with 20+ century.
The problem is people try to hide these things instead of accepting it and moving on from it. The "justification" and inability of discarding the ideas as unacceptable - in present era - is what creates the bad blood among others..

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
There is nothing other than Arab Culture in Islam.
Shia Islam is mostly Persian in culture, rather than Arab. Even Islam in India and Turkic nations, while mostly Sunni, contains a huge Persian influence. Even basic religious words like "namaz" (prayer) in Turkish and Urdu come from Persian, rather than Arabic (where it is called "salah").

In other places at the extremities of the Islamic World, like West Africa and Indonesia, there is also a huge influence of native culture on Islam.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles