Saab, KSSL gear up for Indian Army’s $2-billion Surface-to-Air Missile Project

3deffect

Country flag

Swedish defence major Saab Group, in collaboration with Kalyani Strategic Systems Ltd (KSSL), is set to bag the Defence Ministry’s $2-billion short range surface-to-air missile (SRSAM) project.

The joint venture between Saab and KSSL, announced in February, however, is yet to be finalised, but both the companies are already engaged in transfer of technology for the SRSAM programme with its Bamse system, an air defence missile system.

Under this programme, 52 Ashok Leyland 8/8 Super Stallion trucks will be fitted with Saab’s Eagle radar that will be used to track enemy radars, while two more such trucks will be mounted with Saab’s Giraffe radar, which has the capability to target and shoot, according to sources.

The trials were conducted in October 2014. There are plans to set up the manufacturing facility in Satara district of Maharashtra, although the final decision on the location is yet to be finalised by KSSL, a 100 per cent subsidiary of Bharat Forge Ltd.

“We expect the bids to open by this autumn. Then by next spring, there will be an L1 declaration and then in about 18-24 months, we hope to win the L1. The production line will be decided by KSSL. But it may come up in Satara. Right now technology transfer is going on,” Bo Almqvist, who heads Saab’s air defence systems, told BusinessLine.

Almqvist said the company would be able to make the first delivery in 36 months from the time the contract is awarded. “We have a long-term commitment based on Make in India for maintenance and research and development of future generations,” Almqvist said.

Saab will be competing with Israeli Rafael’s Spyder air defence system and Rosoboronexport to supply SRSAM to the Indian Army.

According to sources, the government might float the tender by December-January. However, contracts would be awarded by the middle of 2017.

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag
I think the delay and procrastination by the Congress in acquiring defence equipment was a blessing in disguise as we would have been saddled with stuff of the 90s vintage. Now we're getting gizmos with the latest technology that would last another 15 to 20 years! :biggrin2:

(Black comedy!)

prateikf

Country flag
Wake me up after the contract is actually signed. Surely it won't be signed before 2030. MOD cannot even buy basic items such as carbine, helmets, bullet proof jackets then how can we expect it to buy SAM's.

Zebra

Country flag
I think the delay and procrastination by the Congress in acquiring defence equipment was a blessing in disguise as we would have been saddled with stuff of the 90s vintage. Now we're getting gizmos with the latest technology......
One get much more, if prefer to be with US.

.............that would last another 15 to 20 years! :biggrin2:

(Black comedy!)
Nah.

At least 25 years, easy.

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag
As my oppion It's better go for Israeli Spyder SR system, as Air force already uses the MR system and most of the Indian Radar's also Israeli or developed with Israeli tech, It's easy to integrate them all into one centric

Hope the Moderator's here combine all the SR SAM thread's into a one mega thread..

charlie

Country flag
One get much more, if prefer to be with US.

Nah.

At least 25 years, easy.
zebra, Please grow up.

Nobody benefits here more then I do if India buy US stuff and I might get laid off in few months if there is no action by US in other parts of the world but still I am not cheer leading about it.

Zebra

Country flag
zebra, Please grow up.

Nobody benefits here more then I do if India buy US stuff and I might get laid off in few months if there is no action by US in other parts of the world but still I am not cheer leading about it.
Sir, that is your point of view.

BTW, this thread is for a Swedish system.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles