Rustom 2/TAPAS/BH-201 MALE UAV News Updates and Discussions

PD_Solo

The only one
Country flag
If India was capable, many of your so called indigenous projects would be in active service by now.
How can we compare capabilities with the great land of pure who are on a mission to buy SU 35.

Long live Baloch and Sindhudesh.

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag
If India was capable, many of your so called indigenous projects would be in active service by now.

Many of them are in service right now. Getting bulk production orders from multiple arms.

praneet.bajpaie

This coming from a guy who belongs to a country which filed only 15 patents in 2015.

More importantly this coming from a guy whose country can't even produce decent hospitals and doctors as your countrymen and women have to come to India for medical treatment.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
HAL Seeking Private Sector Partner to Manufacture its 320 daN turbojet for missiles / drones

HAL intends to design and develop a 320 daN (326 kgf) thrust class jet engine for various applications.The single spool turbo jet engine would have an envelope diameter of 310 mm and length of 740 mm.

It would be capable of operating in altitude range of Sea Level to 8.5 km.The engine would have a SFC of 1.175 kg/daN-h, a starting envelop of 8.5 km to SL @ 0.4 to 0.8M, endurance of 1,000 sec

Physical Parameters and Weight

Length <= 740mm (Excluding LRUs)
Diameter <= 310mm
Dry weight < 44-kg (Excluding LRUs and cartridge Starter)

Initial Requirement
2 engines for Technology Demonstrator (TD)
10 prototype engines for various certifications / qualification trials
5 deliverable engines for limited series production

Private Sector Manufacturing Partnership

HAL on May 31, 2016 released a RFI for 'Selection of an Indian partner to manufacture aero engine in India.'

The due date for submission of a response to the RFI is August 10, 2016

HAL has invited interested Indian partners to undertake the manufacture of the engine by establishing all the required facilities including test rigs and engine test bed. HAL will manufacture 2 technology demonstrators and 3 qualification test units.

In the proposed partnership arrangement, the marketing of end product will be in the scope of HAL.

The current projection is to produce about 12 engines over 2 years time frame after initial development phase. The engine under development is likely to undergo changes during the productionisation. Once the development phase is completed, it is anticipated that the total no of engines required would be around 250 over 5 to 6 year period.

Source : http://thumkar.blogspot.in/2016/07/hal-seeking-private-sector-partner-to.html

========================
========================

It is very speculative now, That we might not see Rustom-2 anytime soon ..

Instead of going for a turbo prop or piston, They might go for this engine ..

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
RCI Developing 275-kgf Thrust Engine

RCI is developing a 275 kgf thrust Small Gas Turbine Jet Engine (SGTJE) to power a UCAV capable of cruising at 0.8M at SL. RCI will take assistance from NAL's Propulsion Division for design and analysis, engine cycle analysis and configuration of the turbojet engine. RCI has also sought private sector, Indian or foreign, participation in the detailed design of the 275-kgf thrust SGTJE. Project duration is specified as one year from project start.

Possible Application
The engine is required to be air start capable suggesting it is being developed for a cruise missile. The 275-kgf thrust requirement suggests a relatively smaller, possibly air launched, cruise missile. It maybe noted that the Nirbhay, powered by a 500-kgf thrust Saturn engine, would hopefully be replaced by the 425-kgf Manik engine being developed by GTRE.

Source : http://thumkar.blogspot.in/2015/10/rci-developing-275-kgf-thrust-cruise.html

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Do we have any Photoshop artist who can make a model of Rustom 2 with small jet engines instead of propellers and payload of HELINAs under wing .. ?

It might give a general idea abt its final looks at least in theory ..

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Do we have any Photoshop artist who can make a model of Rustom 2 with small jet engines instead of propellers and payload of HELINAs under wing .. ?

It might give a general idea abt its final looks at least in theory ..
Looking around if I could do something with CADD on computer.
Otherwise,
Dassualt Systems has made an Excellent Software for making models and simulations called Solid Works. Unfortunately, I'm yet to get my hand over the expertise of the system. This system can surely do a lot good.

Helloo! is there any engineer on DFI who knows to use DS Solid Works?

PD_Solo

The only one
Country flag
Otherwise,
Dassualt Systems has made an Excellent Software for making models and simulations called Solid Works. Unfortunately, I'm yet to get my hand over the expertise of the system. This system can surely do a lot good.

My friend does some work I'll talk to him.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
My friend does some work I'll talk him.
Thanks, but we will need to get 3D Computer Models of Rustom and Equipment which we wanna see. Assembly and even testing of durability over a shock is pretty easy on this program.:D

piKacHHu

Country flag
Otherwise,

You need to get acquaintance with basic concepts of Machine Design (MD) like type of views (Plan, elevation etc.) and isometric projection if you are starting afresh. It's quite easy to learn tool, I can bet you will start making your own basic designs within a couple of days by following plenty of tutorials available online like http://www.solidworkstutorials.com/... For complex design and animation, you need to explore SW a bit deeper to understand and implement the nuances of MD. Ultimately it depends upon the project you take for design.

Raj Malhotra

Country flag
All these three engines are for cruise missiles. Manik by GTRE, say for Nirbhay Class, 326 kgf engine by HAL for Harpoon/Exocet class and 275 by RCI for even smaller missiles, say monsters class. I think there is another engine of 100 kgf missiles also under development.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
You need to get acquaintance with basic concepts of Machine Design (MD) like type of views (Plan, elevation etc.) and isometric projection if you are starting afresh. It's quite easy to learn tool, I can bet you will start making your own basic designs within a couple of days by following plenty of tutorials available online like http://www.solidworkstutorials.com/... For complex design and animation, you need to explore SW a bit deeper to understand and implement the nuances of MD. Ultimately it depends upon the project you take for design.
Thanks, very informative.
I'll soon try to get hands on one.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
I doubt that.

Firstly their is no need for making three different engines of different specifications from thrust to weight and dimensions, I can take Manik is close to specification for a cruise missile engines but not other two ..

Second suspicion is the dimension and weight so does thrust of 326 kgf thrust class and 275-kgf, Coincidentally the 326kgf class engine has in same weight class of that of the propeller engine mounted on Rustom 2 around 44 to 50kgs, The thrust to weight ratio will sure go high at the same time the jet engine is actually lighter than that of propeller engine minus propeller weight ..

We will see what happens in near future, Its really exciting to see these developments ..

All these three engines are for cruise missiles.

Adioz

शक्तिः दुर्दम्येच्छाशक्त्याः आगच्छति
Coincidentally the 326kgf class engine has in same weight class of that of the propeller engine mounted on Rustom 2 around 44 to 50kgs, The thrust to weight ratio will sure go high at the same time the jet engine is actually lighter than that of propeller engine minus propeller weight ..
But will the specific fuel consumption of the propeller engine currently on Rustom 2 not be significantly lesser than that of the new turbojet engine they seem to want to mount on Rustom 2? Will this transition be feasible even though the UCAV will have to carry more fuel now?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles