Russia's Mr Fix-it

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
It is surprising to me that the view from inside a country is almost completely different from my own perception. I was under the impression that life was better than ever because of Russia's oil windfall during the past decade. I guess statistics about a country only tell part of the story. Without the personal experiences of someone that actually lives in Russia, I thought things were going great from reading BusinessWeek articles.

Russia: Spreading The Oil Wealth

"Russia: Spreading The Oil Wealth
Putin is vastly boosting social spending. Will that sidetrack economic reform?

Is it a "new course" in Russia's economic policy? That's what Russian commentators are calling President Vladimir V. Putin's recent promise to spend at least $4 billion annually over the next few years to overhaul the country's neglected health and education systems and to provide subsidies for groups ranging from farmers and soldiers to aspiring young homeowners. Russia is the world's No. 2 oil producer. The President aims to use his windfall from soaring oil prices to boost the living standards of his people, especially low-income public employees. The risk is that Russia's oil wealth will distract Putin from finishing important reforms envisioned when he first took office in 2000."
Putin promises alot of things, like $28 billion for new nuclear power grids of which nothing has been spent. $40 billion for new roadways, nothing except a few roads in Moscow, St. Pete and Sochi in preparation for the Olympics. $30 billion on new water works and treatment of which little has been spent. The country needs a grand total of $2 trillion in infrastructure spending to be brought up to code and they have no plans on making such investment. Instead, they try to get foreign investors to come in and foot the bill that has zero prospects of making money, guess what, they can't find any. It is time for them to quite holding it and start spending. They could triple their GDP if they would just invest in the country rather than sitting on all that oil wealth.

Martian

Respected Member
Putin promises alot of things, like $28 billion for new nuclear power grids of which nothing has been spent. $40 billion for new roadways, nothing except a few roads in Moscow, St. Pete and Sochi in preparation for the Olympics. $30 billion on new water works and treatment of which little has been spent. The country needs a grand total of $2 trillion in infrastructure spending to be brought up to code and they have no plans on making such investment. Instead, they try to get foreign investors to come in and foot the bill that has zero prospects of making money, guess what, they can't find any. It is time for them to quite holding it and start spending. They could triple their GDP if they would just invest in the country rather than sitting on all that oil wealth.
Putin is a master at politics. He knows how to use the media to promise the people a better life. However, since there's no transparency in the government, no citizen can demand that the Russian government provide a list of completed construction projects. It is my belief that it isn't just the oligarchs that are rich in Russia. I believe Putin is richer than any of the oligarchs. See $40bn Putin 'is now Europe's richest man' - Telegraph Putin's and the oligarchs' wealth belong to the Russian people and the money should rightfully be used to build the country.

The US and NATO were unhappy with the Soviets threatening nuclear Armageddon during the Cold War. The US and NATO would understandably prefer a weak Russia. However, I do not believe that the US ordered Georgia to start an artillery bombardment of Russian peacekeepers in Abkhazia or South Ossetia. I think Michael Saakashvili did it on his own initiative. Unfortunately, the Georgian-Russian war has given the Russian hawks the justification that they needed to spend more money on the military. Russia is already safe from foreign invasions as a nuclear superpower.

I think Putin, Medvedev, United Russia, and the rest of the Russian government need to take a good hard look at Russia's future. If things continue as they are, I think Russia's future is on the bleak side. If Putin can recapture his own and the oligarchs' wealth and direct it to nation-building then things will improve for the average Russian. This is a classical dilemma. Do you want to focus your nation's resources on guns (i.e. military) or butter (i.e. economy)?

Martian

Respected Member
"NOT ordered but FINANCED by US armament to Georgia!Sakashvil is installed in power by US=puppet" (Posted by jakojako777)

I see your point. You're saying that the US financed the military build-up in Georgia and bares partial responsibility for enabling the Georgian adventure. However, I still think that most of the responsibility belongs to Michael Saakashvili.

On the topic of Medvedev and Putin, I think I just realized something really important. Has anyone noticed that Medvedev has NEVER criticized Putin by name in a speech, interview, or in writing? I don't think that I've even heard of a Medvedev spokesperson criticize Putin directly. If what I say is correct, it shows that Putin is the dominant partner.

jakojako777

"NOT ordered but FINANCED by US armament to Georgia!Sakashvil is installed in power by US=puppet" (Posted by jakojako777)

I see your point. You're saying that the US financed the military build-up in Georgia and bares partial responsibility for enabling the Georgian adventure. However, I still think that most of the responsibility belongs to Michael Saakashvili.

On the topic of Medvedev and Putin, I think I just realized something really important. Has anyone noticed that Medvedev has NEVER criticized Putin by name in a speech, interview, or in writing? I don't think that I've even heard of a Medvedev spokesperson criticize Putin directly. If what I say is correct, it shows that Putin is the dominant partner.

You're saying that the US financed the military build-up in Georgia and bares partial responsibility for enabling the Georgian adventure.

Unfortunately not only partial my friend !
There are written proves in articles that **** Chaney was personally going to Georgia to give support to his puppet Saakashvili after the few days war
He was assuring Saakashvili even about direct USA military support of USA army!

The same people that were planing attack on Iraq were behind that war in Georgia
It is all about OIL in central Asia!
If you are interested to find out truth read or watch Zbignew Brezinsky when he talks about USA strategy towards Russia and central Asia than you will understand!
Zbignew Brezinsky is today adviser of President Obama
(was his prof in Columbia) he was even adviser of Regan

Find Zbignew Brezinsky and anything hi talks about Russia and Caspian oil than you will understand
Just Google it for video or article

Medvedev has NEVER criticized Putin by name in a speech, interview, or in writing? I don't think that I've even heard of a Medvedev spokesperson criticize Putin directly.[/B] If what I say is correct, it shows that Putin is the dominant partner

No that way!
It just shows that was part of the AGREEMENT between them...
Medvedev had to promise to Putin before receiving the post of President that he will never say anything (let alone do!) against him(Putin)
That was the main condition to become President
Any intelligent person would do that (me also!)
Also don't forget Putin is spy President and has spy friends so he must know EVERYTHING about Medvedev his family... even some things that Medvedev would like to keep secret.......

That is how it works in politics specially in Russia :)

Martian

Respected Member
Putin and Medvedev went into a restaurant for lunch. The waiter asks him what he would like. "Steak", replies Putin. The waiter asks "and the vegetable".

"He will have the same", replies Putin nodding at Medvedev.

jakojako777

KING Putin

Stalin's ghost appears to Putin in a dream, and Putin asks for his help running the country. Stalin says,
"Round up and shoot all the democrats, and then paint the inside of the Kremlin blue."
"Why blue?" Putin asks.
"Ha!" says Stalin. "I knew you wouldn't ask me about the first part."

Martian

Respected Member

You're saying that the US financed the military build-up in Georgia and bares partial responsibility for enabling the Georgian adventure.

Unfortunately not only partial my friend !
There are written proves in articles that **** Chaney was personally going to Georgia to give support to his puppet Saakashvili after the few days war
He was assuring Saakashvili even about direct USA military support of USA army!

The same people that were planing attack on Iraq were behind that war in Georgia
It is all about OIL in central Asia!
If you are interested to find out truth read or watch Zbignew Brezinsky when he talks about USA strategy towards Russia and central Asia than you will understand!
Zbignew Brezinsky is today adviser of President Obama
(was his prof in Columbia) he was even adviser of Regan

Find Zbignew Brezinsky and anything hi talks about Russia and Caspian oil than you will understand
Just Google it for video or article

Medvedev has NEVER criticized Putin by name in a speech, interview, or in writing? I don't think that I've even heard of a Medvedev spokesperson criticize Putin directly.[/B] If what I say is correct, it shows that Putin is the dominant partner

No that way!
It just shows that was part of the AGREEMENT between them...
Medvedev had to promise to Putin before receiving the post of President that he will never say anything (let alone do!) against him(Putin)
That was the main condition to become President
Any intelligent person would do that (me also!)
Also don't forget Putin is spy President and has spy friends so he must know EVERYTHING about Medvedev his family... even some things that Medvedev would like to keep secret.......

That is how it works in politics specially in Russia :)
Italy's La Stampa had written an article saying that Poland, Ukraine, and Georgia were all part of the US plan to "contain" Russia. Your statement that Cheney supported Saakashvili's actions would be consistent with the Neo-con plan to contain and pressure Russia.

Personally, I believe that the Georgian attack on Abkhazia and South Ossetia was to test Russian resolve. I think the Russians overreacted when they decided to keep Abkhazia and South Ossetia. The outraged American government is retaliating by continuing to keep Russia out of the WTO, the world's most important international trade organization.

I remember Zbigniew from the History Channel episode on the Afghan Mujahideen and the fight against the Soviet Union. Zbigniew was President Carter's National Security Adviser and a very smart man.

Zbigniew Brzezinski: Biography from Answers.com

"Brzezinski shared Vance's conception of the Soviet Union and the United States as permanent competitors, but perceived little hope for significant improvement in the relationship. The United States had to be firm, seek every advantage it could garner at Soviet expense, and play on Soviet fears by 'playing the China card.'"

I Googled. You're correct. Zbigniew is back in government. He's "Obama's Chief Foreign Policy Advisor." I guess the Russians can expect more containment policies headed their way.

Your insight about Putin is very important. As the former spy chief, Putin has the same leverage over Medvedev that FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover had over President John F. Kennedy.

"Also don't forget Putin is spy President and has spy friends so he must know EVERYTHING about Medvedev his family... even some things that Medvedev would like to keep secret...."

Vladimir Putin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"On 25 July 1998 Yeltsin appointed Vladimir Putin head of the FSB (one of the successor agencies to the KGB), the position Putin occupied until August 1999."

I was reading Wikipedia (same Wiki link above) and I just learned that Putin is the current Chairman of United Russia. As the Chairman of United Russia, I wonder who he'll support for president in 2012.

I love Russian politics. It's so complicated.

jakojako777

Italy's La Stampa had written an article saying that Poland, Ukraine, and Georgia were all part of the US plan to "contain" Russia. Your statement that Cheney supported Saakashvili's actions would be consistent with the Neo-con plan to contain and pressure Russia.

Personally,
I think the Russians overreacted when they decided to keep Abkhazia and South Ossetia. The outraged American government is retaliating by continuing to keep Russia out of the WTO, the world's most important international trade organization.

I remember Zbigniew from the History Channel episode on the Afghan Mujahideen and the fight against the Soviet Union. Zbigniew was President Carter's National Security Adviser and a very smart man.

Zbigniew Brzezinski: Biography from Answers.com

"Brzezinski shared Vance's conception of the Soviet Union and the United States as permanent competitors, but perceived little hope for significant improvement in the relationship. The United States had to be firm, seek every advantage it could garner at Soviet expense, and play on Soviet fears by 'playing the China card.'"

I Googled. You're correct. Zbigniew is back in government. He's "Obama's Chief Foreign Policy Advisor." I guess the Russians can expect more containment policies headed their way.

Your insight about Putin is very important. As the former spy chief, Putin has the same leverage over Medvedev that FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover had over President John F. Kennedy.

"Also don't forget Putin is spy President and has spy friends so he must know EVERYTHING about Medvedev his family... even some things that Medvedev would like to keep secret...."

Vladimir Putin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"On 25 July 1998 Yeltsin appointed Vladimir Putin head of the FSB (one of the successor agencies to the KGB), the position Putin occupied until August 1999."

I was reading Wikipedia (same Wiki link above) and I just learned that Putin is the current Chairman of United Russia. As the Chairman of United Russia, I wonder who he'll support for president in 2012.

I believe that the Georgian attack on Abkhazia and South Ossetia was to test Russian resolve.

Me to that is why I (and many journalist before me) have called it USA proxy war! Georgia would NEVER had ba!!s to do it without at least partial USA backing!
He Sakhash..something had support of NEO-CON lobby to do what he did..I'm glad that we agree on that!

I think the Russians overreacted when they decided to keep Abkhazia and South Ossetia.

pay attention that Russia in everything they do put themselves on EQUAL level with USA!
In other words that was Russian answer on attack on Yugoslavia\Serbia and occupation of Kosovo
Or that action was in simple words
"If you (USA) can do that than we(Russia) can do that also!"
(specially be cause they didn't claim or support independence of Abkhazia & S Ossetia before attack!)

Don't forget that 12 Russian soldiers (peace keepers) were dead in attack and 300 civilians who had Russian citizenship (often for working in Russia but still !))

What would USA do if somebody would kill their 12 soldiers (peace keepers) and many USA citizens? I wonder...

I don't give right to Russians in everything they did but it is true that USA&NATO have destroyed International law before that event by attacking sovereign country that didn't even attacked them (Yugoslavia\Serbia) and occupying 15% of her territory Kosovo!
They have CREATED NEW INTERNATIONAL RULES the RULES OF THE JUNGLE the rules of the STRONGER !
Be cause they have used FORCE on sovereign country without giving possibility to that country to DEFEND her case
in front of international community that was guaranteed by INTERNATIONAL PEACE AGREEMENT from Helsinky UN charter and even UN RESOLUTION 1244 (Google it PLEASE!) of territorial integrity of Serbia that USA & NATO have signed but did NOT respect !

So Russian reaction was if you can bomb our allay Serbia that didn't attack you than we can attack your allay Georgia that have attacked us!

So in way thay have right to support separatist simply be cause Georgia stays like that country in conflict that makes case AGAINST admitting Georgia in NATO be cause it is written in NATO protocol that they can NOT admit country in war or any kind of conflict in NATO

That gives possibility to Germany & France to vote AGAINST admission of Georgia
Also all that area is military tampon zone that now blocks weapons smuggling that was before the case
(smuggling by CIA, MI6, Saudi Arabia, Georgia) in Caucasus, Chechnya to Jihad manics sponsored by Saudis and CIA & MI6 in Russia

Also not to forget Russia has lost 60 soldiers when war was finished....

Zbigniew was President Carter's National Security Adviser and a very smart man

He is smart all right but he HATES Russia and Russians!
Pity you didn't find anything related on Russia - recent period of Zbigniew activity on Caucasus and specially CENTRAL ASIA !
Hi is master mind behind "encircling of Russia" that USA is trying to do today
He was even talking not only about taking control of EX Soviet republics but also about destroying Russia completely to create independent country Siberia so that USA can easily put their hands on Siberian oil & gas!

For ALL the rest you've said I agree with you ! :)

I like that very much ! :sarcastic::Laie_46:
I find it very funny!

Martian

Respected Member

I believe that the Georgian attack on Abkhazia and South Ossetia was to test Russian resolve.

Me to that is why I (and many journalist before me) have called it USA proxy war! Georgia would NEVER had ba!!s to do it without at least partial USA backing!
He Sakhash..something had support of NEO-CON lobby to do what he did..I'm glad that we agree on that!

I think the Russians overreacted when they decided to keep Abkhazia and South Ossetia.

pay attention that Russia in everything they do put themselves on EQUAL level with USA!
In other words that was Russian answer on attack on Yugoslavia\Serbia and occupation of Kosovo
Or that action was in simple words
"If you (USA) can do that than we(Russia) can do that also!"
(specially be cause they didn't claim or support independence of Abkhazia & S Ossetia before attack!)

Don't forget that 12 Russian soldiers (peace keepers) were dead in attack and 300 civilians who had Russian citizenship (often for working in Russia but still !))

What would USA do if somebody would kill their 12 soldiers (peace keepers) and many USA citizens? I wonder...

I don't give right to Russians in everything they did but it is true that USA&NATO have destroyed International law before that event by attacking sovereign country that didn't even attacked them (Yugoslavia\Serbia) and occupying 15% of her territory Kosovo!
They have CREATED NEW INTERNATIONAL RULES the RULES OF THE JUNGLE the rules of the STRONGER !
Be cause they have used FORCE on sovereign country without giving possibility to that country to DEFEND her case
in front of international community that was guaranteed by INTERNATIONAL PEACE AGREEMENT from Helsinky UN charter and even UN RESOLUTION 1244 (Google it PLEASE!) of territorial integrity of Serbia that USA & NATO have signed but did NOT respect !

So Russian reaction was if you can bomb our allay Serbia that didn't attack you than we can attack your allay Georgia that have attacked us!

So in way thay have right to support separatist simply be cause Georgia stays like that country in conflict that makes case AGAINST admitting Georgia in NATO be cause it is written in NATO protocol that they can NOT admit country in war or any kind of conflict in NATO

That gives possibility to Germany & France to vote AGAINST admission of Georgia
Also all that area is military tampon zone that now blocks weapons smuggling that was before the case
(smuggling by CIA, MI6, Saudi Arabia, Georgia) in Caucasus, Chechnya to Jihad manics sponsored by Saudis and CIA & MI6 in Russia

Also not to forget Russia has lost 60 soldiers when war was finished....

Zbigniew was President Carter's National Security Adviser and a very smart man

He is smart all right but he HATES Russia and Russians!
Pity you didn't find anything related on Russia - recent period of Zbigniew activity on Caucasus and specially CENTRAL ASIA !
Hi is master mind behind "encircling of Russia" that USA is trying to do today
He was even talking not only about taking control of EX Soviet republics but also about destroying Russia completely to create independent country Siberia so that USA can easily put their hands on Siberian oil & gas!

For ALL the rest you've said I agree with you ! :)

I like that very much ! :sarcastic::Laie_46:
I find it very funny!
I had forgotten that US supported Kosovo independence. From Russia's perspective, this is payback. You take Serbian land and we take back Georgian land. Now, we're even.

Zbigniew Brzezinski - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Zbigniew Brzezinski was born in Warsaw, Poland, in 1928. His family, members of the nobility (or "szlachta" in Polish), bore the Trąby coat of arms and hailed from Brzeżany in Galicia. This town is thought to be the source of the family name. Brzezinski's father was Tadeusz Brzeziński, a Polish diplomat who was posted to Germany from 1931 to 1935; Zbigniew Brzezinski thus spent some of his earliest years witnessing the rise of the Nazis. From 1936 to 1938, Tadeusz Brzeziński was posted to the Soviet Union during Stalin's Great Purge.

In 1938, Tadeusz Brzeziński was posted to Canada. In 1939, the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact was agreed to by Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union; subsequently the two powers invaded Poland. The 1945 Yalta Conference between the Allies allotted Poland to the Soviet sphere of influence, meaning Brzezinski's family could not safely return to their country.[citation needed]"

I wonder if Brzezinski hates the Russians for invading his country, Poland. The Russians annexed part of Polish territory, which meant the "Brzezinski's family could not safely return to their country." His effort to "destroying Russia completely" may be an attempt at payback.

jakojako777

I had forgotten that US supported Kosovo independence. From Russia's perspective, this is payback. You take Serbian land and we take back Georgian land. Now, we're even.

Zbigniew Brzezinski - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Zbigniew Brzezinski was born in Warsaw, Poland, in 1928. His family, members of the nobility (or "szlachta" in Polish), bore the Trąby coat of arms and hailed from Brzeżany in Galicia. This town is thought to be the source of the family name. Brzezinski's father was Tadeusz Brzeziński, a Polish diplomat who was posted to Germany from 1931 to 1935; Zbigniew Brzezinski thus spent some of his earliest years witnessing the rise of the Nazis. From 1936 to 1938, Tadeusz Brzeziński was posted to the Soviet Union during Stalin's Great Purge.

In 1938, Tadeusz Brzeziński was posted to Canada. In 1939, the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact was agreed to by Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union; subsequently the two powers invaded Poland. The 1945 Yalta Conference between the Allies allotted Poland to the Soviet sphere of influence, meaning Brzezinski's family could not safely return to their country.[citation needed]"

I wonder if Brzezinski hates the Russians for invading his country, Poland. The Russians annexed part of Polish territory, which meant the "Brzezinski's family could not safely return to their country." His effort to "destroying Russia completely" may be an attempt at payback.

I had forgotten that US supported Kosovo independence.

Actually that "support" was manifested in 3 months bombing Serbia into the stone age and killing almost 4000 Serb civilians among all other things..

Now USA has camp Bondsteel on Kosovo the biggest US military base in Europe and by "coincidence" future Nabucco gas pipline that brings gas from Caspian region (Ex Soviet Republics) will pass by not far away from that military....

I wonder if Brzezinski hates the Russians for invading his country

Yes that is so typical for many Poles who moved their hate from Soviet regime to the Russians even though Stalin has killed MUCH more Russians than Poles
but that is the way it is today unfortunately.....

The problem is that Brzezinski is like you've said "very intelligent" and VERY influential today (be cause his position in Obama administration and his past with other administrations)

So if ever they do what Brzezinski tells them to do we can end up with WW3 one day...:)>

I just hope that USA will concentrate on the economic recovery and rebuilding into strong economy again like it was after 2nd WW and not build war machinery.....
but for the moment that is not case....

We live in VERY dangerous world every day closer to the conflict of world proportion...
You Americans should fight for economically strong and stable USA not country that puts all the money in military in that case USA have no other choice but to attack countries to rip them off, rob them to pay her huge army...

Martian

Respected Member

I had forgotten that US supported Kosovo independence.

Actually that "support" was manifested in 3 months bombing Serbia into the stone age and killing almost 4000 Serb civilians among all other things..

Now USA has camp Bondsteel on Kosovo the biggest US military base in Europe and by "coincidence" future Nabucco gas pipline that brings gas from Caspian region (Ex Soviet Republics) will pass by not far away from that military....

I wonder if Brzezinski hates the Russians for invading his country

Yes that is so typical for many Poles who moved their hate from Soviet regime to the Russians even though Stalin has killed MUCH more Russians than Poles
but that is the way it is today unfortunately.....

The problem is that Brzezinski is like you've said "very intelligent" and VERY influential today (be cause his position in Obama administration and his past with other administrations)

So if ever they do what Brzezinski tells them to do we can end up with WW3 one day...:)>

I just hope that USA will concentrate on the economic recovery and rebuilding into strong economy again like it was after 2nd WW and not build war machinery.....
but for the moment that is not case....

We live in VERY dangerous world every day closer to the conflict of world proportion...
You Americans should fight for economically strong and stable USA not country that puts all the money in military in that case USA have no other choice but to attack countries to rip them off, rob them to pay her huge army....
You're right again. I had forgotten that the US bombed Serbia for months. In defense of the US administration, the videotapes that were shown on US television gave them no choice. It shocked Americans to see human beings herded along the railroad tracks like cattle. Due to public outrage, the Clinton administration started the bombing campaign.

Of course, the Russians don't care that Milosevic was responsible for the US response to severe Serbian human rights violations. The Russians only care that fellow Slavs were bombed and killed by Americans/NATO. That would explain the ill will and poisoned atmosphere between Putin and the United States.

Brzezinski is very smart and his hatred for Russia is almost palpable. Good thing that he can't be US president or we're all in big trouble.

The US economy is hopeless. The financial industry controls Congress and it is a matter of time before the big banks and insurance companies run amok again.

Understanding the Military-Industrial Complex: Eisenhower's Warnings Speak to Contemporary Problems | Suite101.com

"In Dwight D. Eisenhower's farewell speech to the nation the retiring president warned of the dangers of allowing a Military-Industrial Complex to take control of the United States. In the years since this warning the U.S. Army has suffered allegations of favoritism in awarding contracts to long-time industrial partners. To many, these corruption scandals coupled with nearly a decade of various conflicts put forth the argument that the nation's politics may now vindicate Eisenhower's warnings."

President Eisenhower's warning, not to let the "Military-Industrial Complex [MIC] to take control of the United States," was not heeded. After decades of expanding their power and control, the MIC and the financial industry have siphoned the money away from the real economy and for their own enrichment.

jakojako777

I had forgotten that the US bombed Serbia for months.
Kosovo repression was staged trap for Milosevich just like Kuvait was trap for Saddam Hussein also KLA Muslim terrorist were trained by CIA just like they trained Al Qaueda and Bin Laden in times of Soviet Afghanistan ..
They were trained to start that war deliberately and provoke Milosevich to overreact just like living Kuvait without protection was trap for Saddam to invade Kuvait ...

Here some insight from mouth of Tom Gambill ex Marine and Security Officer in Kosovo -on REAL situation in Kosovo in this article

He talks about USA ALLAYS "KLA"

LINK TO FULL ARTICLE

Europe's New Terror Profile and the State of Play in the Balkans - by Christopher Deliso

Europe's New Terror Profile and the State of Play in the Balkans

The latest revelations from European terror "experts" hardly come as news for us in the Balkans – that is, the confluence between terrorism and organized crime, and the increasingly fluid, almost transient nature of their organizational structures.

First of all, relays the IHT:

"'We are seeing a terrorist threat that keeps changing,' Pierre de Bousquet, the head of France's domestic intelligence service, said in an interview in Paris. 'Often the groups are not homogenous, but a variety of blends.

"'Hard-core Islamists are mixing with petty criminals. People of different backgrounds and nationalities are working together. Some are European-born or have dual nationalities that make it easier for them to travel. The networks are much less structured than we used to believe. Maybe it's the mosque that brings them together, maybe it's prison, maybe it's the neighborhood. And that makes it much more difficult to identify them and uproot them.'"

As usual, what is news to Western Europe has long been known here. Yet a jittery "international community" has largely ignored it, being eager not to rock the boat of alleged ethnic "confidence-building" by pointing fingers. However, this public front does not mean that EU intelligence services have been ignoring the issue, as we will see later.

Considering the vast amount of material already existing on the Internet regarding Balkan terrorism, I will only discuss a few unique examples, and provide links to or brief summaries of things I consider to be common (enough) knowledge.

Nevertheless, for other exclusive info I've written on these topics – texts that can only be found in one place – you'll want to see the special message in the last section of this article.

The CIA Bears Down on the Balkans

IPS News reported on 25 July that in the wake of the London bombings, the powers that be are looking at the Balkans with renewed interest – and specifically, at the intersection of terrorism and crime here.

According to IPS, new CIA chief Porter Goss visited Sarajevo and Tirana last month, in the words of British military and defense analyst Paul Beaver, "to express grave concerns of Washington because of [these governments'] cooperation with radical Islamic groups." According to Beaver, "a part of the investigation dealing with the London blasts is aimed at links between radical Islamists in Bosnia and Kosovo with international terrorist groups" in cahoots with powerful Albanian mafia clans. A Bosnian Serb news source added that Goss handed the government a list of 900 names of potential al-Qaeda-linked individuals.

Terror and Criminality

The contention that the former Albanian paramilitary group that fought Milosevic in Kosovo, the Kosovo Liberation Army (KLA, UCK in Albanian) was connected with Islamic terrorist organizations has been fiercely contested. The pro-Albanian lobby denies it vehemently, whereas the pro-Serb faction upholds the thesis. The facts, however, lend at least partial support to the latter, for the period up to and during NATO's 1999 intervention. The argument that the KLA has always been funded by organized crime is also beyond doubt.

Whether the post-1999 KLA continued to foster ties with foreign fundamentalists is a more difficult question. After all, with the war concluded victoriously, what use would the secular enough KLA have for such people?

After NATO, the KLA was officially "decommissioned." A large number of these former "freedom fighters" were assimilated into the Kosovo Protection Corps (KPC), the heavy-handed police force that has served side-by-side with the UNMIK police. But behind it all were the powerful warlords from various clans, the most famous being Hasim Thaci and Ramush Haradinaj, the erstwhile Kosovo "prime minister" currently facing trial in the Hague. Even perceived peaceniks such as President Ibrahim Rugova were said to have their own "private armies," or at least a very substantial security detail.

Still, as in every post-revolutionary situation, not everyone could be satisfied. Kosovo quickly descended into gangland murders as the numerous factions and interests staked out their turf. The events of 9/11, and the resulting crackdown on Islamic fundamentalists across the Balkans, only exacerbated this splintering process, which has heated up over the past few months.

A Whistleblower Emerges

Former OSCE Security Officer Thomas Gambill: "the UN didn't want to know" about Islamic terrorism in Kosovo.

By early 2002, the Albanian militant/criminal movement had divided into at least three different groups, says Thomas Gambill, a former OSCE security chief with responsibility for the eastern part of Kosovo. "You had the hardcore nationalists; the common criminals, and the Islamic fanatics," says the burly, silver-haired former Marine, describing the groups he was tasked with monitoring.

A red-blooded American and spirited supporter of the "war on terror," Gambill worked in Kosovo from October 1999 until a tense departure in spring 2004, not long after the March riots. Throughout his tenure, he believed that UNMIK was trying to avoid the escalating threat of terrorist attacks, the increasing chokehold of the Mafia, and their connections with Islamic fundamentalists. But when he started to blow the whistle, Gambill was ignored, then reprimanded. "They just didn't want to hear it," he says. "For them, I was a headache."

When I met with Tom Gambill last spring in Pristina, just prior to his departure from the mission, he spoke with frustration of a series of e-mails he had sent back to a State Department staffer, which apparently had been received with little interest. Recently, Gambill repeated to me his claims that OSCE superiors had "warned" him repeatedly regarding his habit of "sending out 'unsolicited' reports to official sources concerning the Albanian extremists' strategy, activity of the Islamic extremists, and other bits of information that I had confirmed concerning criminal activity." While it's difficult to prove, Gambill believes his whistleblowing had something to do with his OSCE contract not being extended.

jakojako777

2nd part

Aside from fighting over the loot, the KLA split was also caused by candid assessments of what path would most satisfy common interests. But by early 2003, when the so-called Albanian National Army (ANA, or AKSH in Albanian) started up a high-profile series of bombings, the camps were defined.

The nationalists were split between diehard ANA supporters and those less keen on the "Greater Albania" project. Both sides were fearful of upsetting their relationship with the United States, and they sought to distance themselves from the Islamists, whom they correctly regarded as being unhelpful in respect to winning their ultimate goal of an independent Kosovo. The Islamists, however, were motivated by religion and supported by foreign governments and their NGOs – chiefly those of Saudi Arabia, the Emirates, and Iran. Many of these charities were shut down in the aftermath of 9/11, though others hung on. The goal of these governments throughout has been to proliferate their own brands of Islam in Kosovo, under the guise of humanitarian relief and with the tangible result of mosque-building.

Both groups had a lot in common with the third, the armed common criminals; in fact, this bunch was spawned by and predated both (along with those recruits drawn by money and not ideologies). Now, the overlap is almost total. The powerful Albanian Mafia has long had a large share of the European heroin market and also trades in women, weapons, and stolen antiquities, among other goods. By necessity, maintaining such an operation in the global age involves "cooperation" with diverse and far-flung groups. Foreign Islamists make up merely one.

Three Necessities

Contrary to what spirited defenders of the Serbs argue, it does not seem that Islamic ideology has played the key role in drawing most Albanians to fight. So why would the Albanians – nationalists, criminals, or otherwise – need the Islamists?

For the answer to this question, we must keep in mind three things: global trafficking routes; sustaining the rule of lawlessness; and unique services provided by foreign Islamic factions.

One of America's enduring achievements in Afghanistan has been the renaissance of poppy cultivation there. Britain's Sunday Telegraph revealed two weeks ago that while Britain has been tasked to lead the eradication of Afghanistan's drug trade, instead, "after 18 months, the level of opium cultivation in Afghanistan has reached an all-time high of nearly half a million acres."

The route of heroin trafficking continues strongly from that country through Central Asia and Turkey. Indeed, as a Turkish professor once described the country's huge foreign debt to his students, "50 billion dollars worth of foreign debt is nothing – it is two lorry loads of heroin."

However, once the drugs cross into the Balkans, there is lawless Kosovo – one of the epicenters of European heroin distribution and processing, with spillover operations in border areas of neighboring states.

Take Macedonia's Albanian-populated village of Aracinovo, tucked into the hills of the Skopska Crna Gora mountain range just over the border with Kosovo. A former Macedonian special policeman involved in the botched raid on Aracinovo during the 2001 war says that he was amazed but what he saw: "there were heroin labs, a series of well-constructed tunnels, and better Western medical equipment than even we have in the State Clinic! To this day, I can't believe what I saw there."

The battle of Aracinovo descended into farce when NATO evacuated armed Albanian militants, who clambered aboard the "fun bus" along with foreign mujahedin and 17 American MPRI military advisors. While the U.S. denies this covert involvement, a Dutch intelligence report from 2002 affirmed it, claiming that the EU was furious. This damning 2001 report quotes another soldier involved, who provides details regarding not only American involvement but that of mujahedin on the Albanian side.

The second factor is that of lawlessness. Keeping Kosovo outside the rule of law is key for both the Mafia and the Islamists. As long as it remains a gray zone with indefinite borders, legislation, and competencies, not to mention an international administration too timid to exert much authority, organized crime can flourish. And, in the villages especially, the vendetta-based rule of the clans trumps any so-called "Western" style of governance.

Third is the issue of services rendered. One example, certainly not the biggest, is "selling" money – old Kuwaiti dinars, stolen after Saddam's invasion of Kuwait and returned to Yugoslavia by emigrant workers – to Arabs. As one Arab with long experience of Kosovo told me, "to try and sell that kind of money directly, you need to have connections with high bank officials or others in the Arab world … otherwise they will be very suspicious and ask where it came from."

The Reality Macedonia report above claims this practice occurred on a large scale, and even involved Western banks, as far back as 1997. After 9/11, it's getting harder to pull off. Yet to this day, Albanians (and other former Yugoslavs) are still trying to trade in their old Kuwaiti assets – and this is where the foreign Islamists come in. So far they have met with mixed results, as establishing a level of trust (not to mention a favorable exchange rate) has proven difficult. Nevertheless, the UN police have made at least one arrest, of a Syrian, in conjunction with this trade.

Operational Failings

Nevertheless, UNMIK, KFOR, and other international security organizations have fallen short repeatedly in their quest to stifle extremism in Kosovo. In some cases, they have shut down charities that were probably benign; in other cases, they have neglected potentially dangerous ones, despite the objections of security officers such as Tom Gambill, who lists some by name.

A failure to cultivate good ties with Serbian intelligence has also been a problem. Usually Serbian warnings of Islamic terrorist activities are met with suspicion by a cynical West. However, they incontestably have the experience, the knowledge, and the intelligence to make a contribution to the fight against terror – if the West really is sincere about that particular campaign.

A second major restriction on good policing efforts in the province is the poor quality and limited mandates of security personnel in Kosovo. Most U.S. personnel in the UNMIK police come on six-month to one-year contracts, hired through domestic security contractors, with the previous experience of being small-town, doughnut-shop cops. There are few Jean-Claude Van Dammes to be found amongst the UNMIK ranks. And, given the high turnover rate since 1999 (very few officials from that time still remain), there is also little chance for continuity or coordination of information-gathering, either in terms of technique or of content.

Says Gambill, "they [the UN] didn't really understood what was going on – and they didn't want to know. There was no continuity of mission, or pass-on intel." According to him, despite repeated efforts to educate the American authorities about the presence of al-Qaeda-related groups and their connections with organized crime, "they weren't interested." However, before returning to America, where he has established a trucking firm, Gambill made sure to take his four-gigabyte collection of police reports, photos, and other incriminating evidence about the presence of Islamic terrorist factions in Kosovo. He is looking for a publisher for the book he is writing about his experiences there.

A third restriction is a quite obvious one, and it in part explains the timidity of most UN officials in Kosovo: that is, securing their own lives. All internationals in Kosovo are sitting ducks; they live in the apartments, frequent the restaurants, stay in the hotels, and shop in the stores owned by locals. At any given moment, any of them, from the lowliest secretary to the highest UN representative, can be killed. So where's the incentive for these officials, waiting out their lavishly overpaid term before heading for yet another peacekeeping mission somewhere else, to take on the Albanian Mafia or the Islamic fundamentalists?

In one of those bizarre cases of blowback-in-waiting, celebrated illegal alien/KLA weapons smuggler Florin Krasniqi recently vowed from New York that if the UN does not vacate Kosovo and give it independence, "we will throw the United Nations out … we have a team of snipers here in the U.S. ready to be dispatched on very short notice."

Note that this is the same man who donates heavily to the Democrats and who said, "with money, you can do amazing things in this country. ... Senators and congressmen are looking for donations, and if you raise the money they need for their campaigns, they pay you back."

Euro Interest Revealed; New Tensions in Macedonia and Beyond

Despite the seeming novelty of the latest Euro disclosures cited above by the IHT, the possibility of the conjunction of Islamic terrorism, organized crime, and other less-than-religious ruffians throughout Europe – part of an evolving global phenomenon – has long been accepted by European experts, though they've been somewhat reticent about discussing this in terms of the Balkans, where it's still politically correct to laud the Muslims of Bosnia through kitschy commemorations, and thus get off the hook of having to be overly nice to Muslims back home. This we can see clearly enough; the real question that emerges, however, is whether or not European and American interests harmonize in this area.

With mosques now attracting an increasingly younger crowd, the outcome of the present power struggle between traditionalists and Wahhabists will be crucial for the future of Islam in Macedonia.

Back in December 2004, we heard detailed comments from Claude Moniquet, a counterterrorism expert with the European Strategic Intelligence and Security Center in Brussels. At that time, he disclosed that "between 10 and 100 [presumably foreign] people who are dangerous and linked to terrorist organizations currently reside in Macedonia." When asked about the "financial link between local criminal gangs and al-Qaeda," Moniquet responded:

"Yes, absolutely. It's something that we can observe in the last 2-3 years everywhere in the world. The link between jihadis, the Islamist terrorists, and the petty crime, even organized crime is quite important. The terrorists use some criminal organizations to get false papers, arms, ammunition, and explosives. They used them to travel, to infiltrate people in some countries."

According to Moniquet, this phenomenon occurs in Macedonia. He mentioned the case of Kondovo, the Albanian village near the border with Kosovo that was taken over by militants last winter. The purported local leader, Agim Krasniqi, threatened to bombard Skopje. Recently Krasniqi renewed these threats, though since he is all of 25 years-old, this is probably just politically-motivated sleigh-of-hand masterminded by the opposition DPA party.

Nevertheless, Kondovo has a huge, foreign-funded madrassa that caters to local and foreign Islamic students. According to Moniquet, "they have enormous financial means provided by the Saudis" and should be watched closely because "this kind of school is always which attracts the people with problems, and people who think they can change the society, even through violence" – in other words, secular criminals and militants whose malleable minds can be guided towards other ends.

Indeed, one worrying sign in Macedonia is that foreign-supported Islamic fundamentalism has for the first time entered strongly into the religious debate within the country's Islamic community – something unthinkable only a few years ago. Skopje daily Vreme, which recently reported on this struggle, discussed it as part of a larger plan of the Wahhabists to unify "the Islamic religious communities of Macedonia, Kosovo, Sandzak [in Serbia], and Montenegro under the umbrella of the Sarajevo-based B-H Islamic Community, as they used to function before the SFRY's [Socialist Federative Republic of Yugoslavia] disintegration."

This recent statement just confirms what I reported over a year ago about foreign extremists on Skopje's streets, exhorting Albanians to jihad through promotional videotapes. In going into details and naming another extremist imam, the Vreme piece also confirms what I disclosed back in October 2003 about the Sandjak border region of Serbia and Montenegro:

"[W]e may see a paradigm shift in how this part of the Balkans is perceived, away from the east-west axis and towards a north-south one that would provide the missing link between Islamic activity in Bosnia and Kosovo- the two places now of most concern to Western governments. If the Sandzak suspicions turn out to be justified, the Western view on Montenegrin independence may shift, because any weakening of security services from Belgrade can only expedite the potential for Islamic terrorism from Bosnia and Kosovo- through a severed Sandzak. That is something for the Western policymakers to think about."

Unfortunately, it looks like they have: the ICG, in its role of imperial first infantry, released a little-publicized report a few months ago entitled, "Serbia's Sandzak: Still Forgotten."

Considering the ICG's Midas touch for stirring up conflict, this new interest means that another international showdown can't be too far away. But while the arrogant international power-brokers always think they know best, continuing this course of chopping up Serbia will only make things worse for the EU, as a direct and undisturbed corridor for criminals and terrorists is established from Albania, Macedonia, and Kosovo straight through to Bosnia, and from there into the West.

A Macedonian Smoking Gun, and (Alleged) Euro-Disinterest

Still, most admissions of Euro-investigative interest in Islamic terrorism in the Balkans – perhaps with the exception of Bosnia – go unreported. Or, as the experience of Tom Gambill shows, important trends are sometimes hushed up so that the boat is not rocked unduly. So we have to seek them out.

This led me earlier this summer to an interesting exchange (a rather one-sided one, as it turned out) with the watered-down EU peacekeeping mission in Macedonia. The successor to NATO's peacekeeping mission, the EU's PROXIMA police force describes itself as being dedicated to police training, confidence-building, and other "I'm okay, you're okay" activities of this sort.

However, all things considered, one might also assume that such a presence could serve as an attractive cover for intelligence-gathering efforts. When I mentioned to a PROXIMA spokesperson that I would like to ask some questions about PROXIMA investigations of organized crime and terrorism in Macedonia, I was told that these were "sensitive" areas, but that my questions would be redirected to someone who might be able to help – in other words, that these kind of investigations were being performed, but maybe they were not at liberty to discuss some of them. However, after sending my questions, I received the following Bizarro World e-mail reply:

" am sorry to inform you that due to our mandate that covers no activities in the field of such kind of intelligence gathering, for whomever, PROXIMA is not able to answer your questions."

Now this would all be well and good, had I not already had private discussions with PROXIMA officers who apparently hadn't been sufficiently briefed on the limits of their mandate. In fact, one officer who spoke with me a few months ago, on condition of anonymity, mentioned a detailed investigation that corroborated Moniquet's general assertions. Further, his testimony specifically confirmed information I had received independently from a Serbian source in April 2004; that is, of the presence of a foreign Islamist "sleeper cell" in the wilds of southwestern Macedonia.

According to the PROXIMA officer, the cell contained approximately 100 foreigners (Arabs, Pakistanis, etc.) and was taking refuge in forested areas west of the Macedonian Muslim villages of Oktisi and Labunista, for a unique reason: "since the latter are Muslims, the [Orthodox] Macedonians don't want them; and since they are Macedonian, the [Muslim] Albanians don't want them either. Thus they accept the support of foreigners."

This area, located near the Jablanica mountain range that forms the border with Albania, was also pointed out to me by the informed Kosovo Serbian source as a staging post for Islamists operating on both sides of the border. According to him, the small group had some relation to the Abu Bekir Sidik Brigade, an Islamic terrorist group with a long history, based throughout key Muslim Balkan cities but chiefly in South Mitrovica, Kosovo. This city was mentioned specifically in the recent Vreme report mentioned above as being the headquarters of a suspicious pro-Wahhabi charity, Kosovo Islamic Relief, "run by a certain Ekrem Avdiu." While the newspaper failed to make the connection, this Kosovo Albanian has long been identified with Abu Bekir Sidik, and was once even arrested by Serb authorities when coming across the Albanian border with jihad paraphernalia.

According to the Serbian source, the Macedonia-Albania border cell was "laying low, because the area was quiet and allowed them to regroup before transiting through Albania to Bosnia and, eventually, the West, which is the real target." That the West is the target and the Balkans merely a "springboard" was reiterated by analyst Zoran Dragisic in the IPS article cited above. The Athens Olympics, then only a few months away, was another possible target, said the Serb.

However, the Olympics came and went without incident, perhaps because Greeks tend to be friendly to the Palestinian cause and also because they rejected the Iraq war. The group, or parts of it, remained, however, and the former PROXIMA officer turned in the results of a year-long investigation – including photos and copies of passports – to his home intelligence agencies as 2005 dawned. So the EU police force in Macedonia obviously does not engage in intelligence activities; and experts such as Moniquet are obviously pulling info out of their asses.

A few months after the March 2004 anti-Serb pogroms in Kosovo, I learned of a heated argument within the Macedonian intelligence services, which were debating whether to try and "infiltrate" the Jablanica cell by inserting a presumed "friendly" Muslim into their midst. However, the plan was presumed "too dangerous" and was shelved. As one military intelligence officer reminded me:

"Because of the Ohrid Agreement, but even we had this problem before, the order to hire more Albanians has compromised our service. … I might find important information, but if I pass it up the chain of command, my superior, or my superior's superior, might be an Albanian, and he can easily ruin the investigation … and I'm sure they feel the same way about us [Macedonians], because they of course have their own interests to protect.

"The point is that while some of us are trying – and I do have some good and honest Albanian colleagues – the service as a whole is being compromised. When NATO and the U.S. ask us to cooperate, we do our best, but if you can't even trust your own colleagues, what can we do?"

Given this poisonous atmosphere, it's no surprise that the sensitive counterterrorism operation was canceled. To my knowledge, it never even reached ministerial level, and it was not considered again.

Macedonia's Ambiguous War on Terror
----------------------------------------------
FULL ARTICLE
Europe's New Terror Profile and the State of Play in the Balkans - by Christopher Deliso

Martian

Respected Member
Now you see why Americans don't follow overseas politics. Too many different groups in Kosovo and Albania. It's not possible for the American mind to keep track of them all. Also, it's too complicated. I guess that's why we have the experts at the CIA. It's their problem.

You made a very interesting suggestion that Milosevic fell into a trap of a staged Kosovo rebellion. That's the first time that I've heard of the idea. However, it is possible and within the realm of intelligence agencies' dirty tricks. It could be virtually impossible to prove.

Anyway, I'm glad things are a lot simpler with Putin and his Medvedev puppet. At least there are only two players and things are somewhat understandable.

jakojako777

Now you see why Americans don't follow overseas politics. Too many different groups in Kosovo and Albania. It's not possible for the American mind to keep track of them all. Also, it's too complicated. I guess that's why we have the experts at the CIA. It's their problem.

You made a very interesting suggestion that Milosevic fell into a trap of a staged Kosovo rebellion. That's the first time that I've heard of the idea. However, it is possible and within the realm of intelligence agencies' dirty tricks. It could be virtually impossible to prove.

Anyway, I'm glad things are a lot simpler with Putin and his Medvedev puppet. At least there are only two players and things are somewhat understandable.

Also, it's too complicated

Sorry it is not easy any longer to find good article on Kosovo be cause they are all in archives by now after so many years...

Things are still possible to prove that CIA was training "KLA" (to start armed conflict) the only problem is to find articles on Internet after so many years

Another thing you might don't know is that same "KLA"
was on the USA terrorist organizationslist
and than suddenly they have removed it from the list be cause they needed them(KLA) for starting armed conflict on Kosovo & destruction of Yugoslavia

uggestion that Milosevic fell into a trap

Of course you didn't hear this version, be cause now you listen "other side of the story"

It was trap be cause they have trained "KLA" people and gave them weapons to start the war!
They knew that Milosewich will react and they need to put just little bit of drama
and simple disinformation through media to push public opinion in favor of bombing(they did same with Iraq weapons of mass destruction etc.)

That was plan and it worked

All in all, it was trap also be cause Milosevic was counting on international law to protect sovereignty of Yougoslavia from foreign attack and on Russians also
But Russia was weak and Yeltsin under influence of the West
We all know that Russians failed big time and didn't even help Serbia with any weapons let alone concert help
And international law is basically created for everybody except USA
USA respects it when necessary when they have barrier out that law they just ignore it

USA citizens are brainwashed into believing that USA has God given right to attack any country on any excuse possible and that something like that is perfectly normal even necessary

Law is based on equal rights of all and law of USA is primitive law of stronger..
That law dominates world today
There is nothing any more that can stop conflicts

Martian

Respected Member
"Of course you didn't hear this version, be cause now you listen "other side of the story"

It was trap be cause they have trained "KLA" people and gave them weapons to start the war!
They knew that Milosewich will react and they need to put just little bit of drama
and simple disinformation through media to push public opinion in favor of bombing(they did same with Iraq weapons of mass destruction etc.)

That was plan and it worked" (Posted by jakojako777)

There is one thing that I don't understand. Why would the CIA go to the trouble of fostering rebellion in Kosovo? Kosovo seems insignificant. What was the strategic advantage for the US? It seems to me that Kosovo is a liability. I think it's been ten years since the bombing of Belgrade and US troops are still stuck in Kosovo.

jakojako777

"Of course you didn't hear this version, be cause now you listen "other side of the story"

That was plan and it worked" (Posted by jakojako777)

There is one thing that I don't understand. Why would the CIA go to the trouble of fostering rebellion in Kosovo? Kosovo seems insignificant. What was the strategic advantage for the US? It seems to me that Kosovo is a liability. I think it's been ten years since the bombing of Belgrade and US troops are still stuck in Kosovo.
-------------------
Kosovo seems insignificant. What was the strategic advantage for the US?

Kosovo was last stage of destruction of Yugoslavia.
Bondsteel military base is one of the biggest bases ever built after 2ndWW!(built on Kosovo and it is for FREE of course)
From that base USA has control of all south east Europe including NABUCCO GAS PIPLINE that will pass near by (in Macedonia) once is built

Yougoslavia was not under USA control before the war. So war permitted destruction of the country - economy and industry - that was bought afterward for few dollars.........
The objective was to remove Yougoslavia completely and any Russian influence in region. Weaken Serbia (Russian allay)and assure future allays in Albanians by giving them (15% of Serb territory) Kosovo as gift !

Underneath I have different articles that talk about CIA- U.S. and KLA (illegal) cooperation I don't expect you to read all so it is up to you...
I have only highlighted titles or parts but there is plenty of text behind those links...

-----------------
As early as 1998, the U.S. State Department listed the KLA as a terrorist organization financing its operations with money from the international heroin trade and funds supplied from Islamic countries and individuals, including Osama bin Laden. This did not stop the United States from arming and training KLA members in Albania and in the summer of 1998 sending them back into Kosovo to assassinate Serbian mayors, ambush Serbian policemen and intimidate hesitant Kosovo Albanians. The aim was to destabilize Kosovo and overthrow Serbian strongman Slobodan Milosevic.

CRG -- The CIA met Bin Laden while undergoing treatment at an American Hospital last July in Dubai

---------------

KLA sites of systematic torture and killings were based throughout Kosovo and also in parts of Albania. For example Kukes and Burrel in Albania were used by the KLA with regards to military training, obtaining weapons, and for other factors. This in itself raises the role of Albania and NATO nations which took part in the bombing of the former Yugoslavia.

Kosovo and Systematic Persecution by KLA
-------------

CIA Aided Kosovo Guerrilla Army All Along

American intelligence agents have admitted they helped to train the Kosovo Liberation Army before NATO's bombing of Yugoslavia. The disclosure angered some European diplomats, who said this had undermined moves for a political solution to the conflict between Serbs and Albanians

CIA Aided Kosovo Guerrilla Army All Along

------------
...The financing of the Kosovo guerilla war poses critical questions and it sorely test claims of an "ethical" foreign policy. Should the West back a guerrilla army that appears to partly financed by organized crime?

- Drugs Money Linked to the Kosovo Rebels (The Times, London, March 24, 1999)

(4/9/99) Kosovo "Freedom Fighters" Financed by Drug Money, CIA

---------------
Mercenaries IN KOSOVO: The U.S. connection to the KLA - includes related article comparing United States foreign policy in Central America and Kosovo

Mercenaries IN KOSOVO: The U.S. connection to the KLA - includes related article comparing United States foreign policy in Central America and Kosovo | Progressive, The | Find Articles at BNET

--------------------

Now the (London) 'Sunday Times' has confirmed our charges. The OSCE Verification Mission in Kosovo was indeed a phony, a cover for the CIA to set up liaison with the KLA and spy on Yugoslavia. Walker was indeed creating another death squad operation, just as he did in El Salvador.

The Cat is Out of the Bag

-----------------
Mercenaries IN KOSOVO: The U.S. connection to the KLA.

Mercenaries IN KOSOVO: The U.S. connection to the KLA. - Free Online Library
---------------
Bin Laden, Iran,and the KLA
How Islamic Terrorism Took Root in Albania
September 19, 2001

On 4 May 1999, the Washington Times reported, citing new reports from US intelligence and Jane’s Defense Review, that the town of Tropoje, Albania was a"common staging area" for Bin Laden’s and the KLA’s forces, and thus "a center for Islamic terrorists." US intelligence also acknowledged that Bin Ladin’s al-Qaeda had "both trained and financially supported" the Albanians, and that the Kosovo border had been infiltrated by Bosnian, Chechen and Afghan mujaheedin, in "…crossings (which) originated in neighboring Albania and, according to the reports, included parties of up to 50 men." The Jane’s report added that "…documents found last year on the body of a KLA member showed that he had escorted several volunteers into Kosovo, including more than a dozen Saudi Arabians. Each volunteer carried a passport identifying him as a Macedonian Albanian."

Bin Laden, Iran, and the KLA

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles