Russian warships heading for Australia as Putin prepares to attend Bri

pmaitra

Re: Russian warships heading for Australia as Putin prepares to attend

So in every long journey Russian warships are always in danger of being disabled? That's why they always have ocean going tug boats with them! The US Navy and other Western Navies are not known to attach tug boats to their Naval flotilla for long deployments...
If what you are saying is true, then I think the US can stop building fleet ocean tug boats then? :lol:

I guess the always-cash-needing military industrial complex could use some constructive criticism for wasting taxpayer's money.

Jokes apart, those ocean tugs exist for a reason. The reason is obvious.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

Fotiy Krylov is the most powerful tug boat in the World. I don't think you need all that power just to repair hydrophones of resupply submarines. That power is there for serious pulling tasks, like pulling Varyag class cruiser. In fact as I said earlier no less than a Russian website has called the ship as a "rescue ship":
The problem is that you don't read what I write or append and just shoot off.

It is not there to 'repair hydrophones'. It is there to assist as was done by the US in 1971.

Now read this carefully please

In October of 1971, in the midst of the Cold War, the nuclear-powered submarine USS Halibut entered heavily guarded Russian waters in the Sea of Okhotsk. Orchestrated by the joint efforts of the CIA, NSA, and U.S. Navy, her mission—code named Operation Ivy Bells—was to find and tap into an undersea communications cable that was connecting a Soviet naval base on the Kamchatka Peninsula with the Pacific Fleet's mainland headquarters in Vladivostok. The cable was a vital pipeline for Soviet communications, and as such represented a tremendous potential intelligence resource for the United States.

In 400 feet of water, the Halibut's crew found the cable and installed a unique waterproof tap that was designed to detach and remain on the seafloor if the cable was ever hauled up for repairs. Each month for the next decade, the navy secretly returned to retrieve the recordings and install new tapes—until 1981, when NSA employee Ronald Pelton sold classified information about Operation Ivy Bells to the KGB for $35,000......

In modern cable systems fibre optic cables use photons to transfer data. Modern tapping can be accomplished in one of two ways: either by splicing the cable and splitting the photon stream with a prism, or by bending the cable to a point where it begins to leak data. The documents leaked to The Guardian by Edward Snowden in 2012 revealed how British and American intelligence agencies had tapped more than 200 of these cables as part of an ongoing mass-collection spying project launched in 2008, completely undermining the privacy of ordinary citizens across the world. The Guardian revealed how British intelligence agency GCHQ was intercepting data at a rate with the potential of collecting the equivalent of "all the information in all the books in the British Library 192 times every 24 hours".
Messages in the Deep - Builtvisible
It is obvious that the tug will be classified as a 'rescue' vessel. I am sure they would not advertise it as "Spying" vessel, would they?

Also

The ships are in the Coral Sea, south of Bougainville off Australia's ... It is accompanied by a destroyer, Marshal Shaposhnikov, and one of the world's most powerful tugs ... NATO accused Russia of sending columns of troops and heavy .... do a lift on the undersea cables in the region so that eavesdropping ...
Linl
That tug boat will be there to assist the submarines to do a lift on the undersea cables in the region so that eavesdropping devices and hydrophones can be installed,
Link

Last edited:

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag

If what you are saying is true, then I think the US can stop building fleet ocean tug boats then? :lol:

I guess the always-cash-needing military industrial complex could use some constructive criticism for wasting taxpayer's money.

Jokes apart, those ocean tugs exist for a reason. The reason is obvious.

You didn't read the second sentence of my post then. Unlike the Russian Navy USN tug boats do not accompany their flotillas on long deployments. The Russians always have ocean going tug boats in their flotillas during long voyages. Unfortunately for the poor crew of these tug boats, they don't get mentioned or shown off in foreign harbors. They are hidden from public eyes like family members with lepers... ;)

pmaitra

It is not there to 'repair hydrophones'. It is there to assist as was done by the US in 1971.

It is obvious that the tug will be classified as a 'rescue' vessel. I am sure they would not advertise it as "Spying" vessel, would they?
Interesting insight. Who would have thought. Thank you for sharing.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag

That's a long shot Sir @Ray from the miserable Russian Navy tug boats we're talking about. But suit yourself.

BTW, I saw that story in a TV documentary before. I forgot the title. It was special submarine with wheels sir that attached the listening device. There was also an operation whereby a Los Angeless Class submarine entered a Russian naval base and spied there.

Last edited by a moderator:

pmaitra

You didn't read the second sentence of my post then. Unlike the Russian Navy USN tug boats do not accompany their flotillas on long deployments. The Russians always have ocean going tug boats in their flotillas during long voyages. Unfortunately for the poor crew of these tug boats, they don't get mentioned or shown off in foreign harbors. They are hidden from public eyes like family members with lepers... ;)
I read you entire post. Apparently you didn't read mine.

Again, I read that second and third sentence. I just didn't buy the third.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

That's a long shot Sir @Ray from the miserable Russian Navy tug boats we're talking about. But suit yourself.

BTW, I saw that story in a TV documentary before. I forgot the title. It was special submarine with wheels sir that attached the listening device. There was also an operation whereby a Los Angeless Class submarine entered a Russian naval base and spied there.
One has to have experience in the military and more so in combat to realise the importance on gathering intelligence.

Most miserable and non military looking things are the most dangerous since they are deceptive.

I also see many TV programmed on defence and weapons. Keeps me updated. I also read.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

You don't put your sensitive equipment or men working in sensitive areas in the show window even under most favourable conditions.

This you must understand.

Here is an example:

Admiral Wu Shengli, China's Navy Chief, this week caught Indian officials off guard by asking for an impromptu tour of the most sensitive nerve centre of the advanced Indian missile frigate, INS Shivalik, while on a brief courtesy call on the visiting ship

Indian officials told Admiral Wu that the ship's operations room — the Combat Information Centre — was among the Indian Navy's most advanced and was kept locked when the frigate was docked at harbour. Under standard operating procedures, it cannot be opened without exception.
Defence News - An unusual request from China's Navy Chief

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

Fotiy Krylov is the most powerful tug boat in the World. I don't think you need all that power just to repair hydrophones of resupply submarines. That power is there for serious pulling tasks, like pulling Varyag class cruiser. In fact as I said earlier no less than a Russian website has called the ship as a "rescue ship":
I had written
That tug boat will be there to assist the submarines to do a lift on the undersea cables in the region so that eavesdropping devices and hydrophones can be installed
That is way different from what you interpreted.

So please comprehend and then kit the keyboard.

prohumanity

Country flag

Why did Vladimir went to Brisbane with his 4 warships ?
Because a week ago, Tony the Bushbbott threatened that he would "frontshirt" (physically asault on chest) Vladimir . In his characteristic humorous and sarcastic way, Vladimir ordered 4 warship to go with him as his bodyguards to mock Tony Bushbbottt. Get it !
By the way, the guy is a boxer....but..Vladimir is a judo black belt champion. Let the fight begin. Lets make our Modiji ,the referee/umpire.

Last edited:

pmaitra

The title is misleading. From the article:

Vladimir Putin quit the G20 summit in Brisbane early saying he needed to get back to work in Moscow on Monday after enduring hours of browbeating by a succession of Western leaders urging him to drop his support for secessionists in eastern Ukraine.
It is only the western leaders, i.e. the vassals of the US, not all G20.

With the European Union poised this week to extend the list of people subject to asset freezes, the Russian president individually met five European leaders including the British prime minister, David Cameron, and the German chancellor, Angela Merkel, where he refused to give ground.
Putin refused to give ground.

BTW, if you want some free likes, keep disagreeing with me. :)

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag

The title is misleading. From the article:

It is only the western leaders, i.e. the vassals of the US, not all G20.

Putin refused to give ground.

BTW, if you want some free likes, keep disagreeing with me. :)

As if I care about likes. You on the other hand is making a career out of chasing and opposing every bit of post that I make... :cool2:

pmaitra

As if I care about likes. You on the other hand is making a career out of chasing and opposing every bit of post that I make... :cool2:
Well, I gotta admire your dedication.

What is your opinion about the Lusitania? Think about it. We shall discuss it in an appropriate thread.

pmaitra

The last paragraph is important:
Although the western media has portrayed Putin as an isolated figure at the summit, he has continued to forge close relations with the Brics countries (Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa) a grouping that is becoming increasingly organised at the G20 and, in terms of economic size, more than matches the size of the G7 economies.
This group will be led by PRC, which is not exactly great news for India, but hopefully, we will see an end to the big bully going around the world invading countries.

Multiple power centres will restore international law and order. I look forward to a multi-polar world.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles