Russian Navy Develops New Mini Submarines

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
LANGKAWI (Malaysia), March 29 (RIA Novosti) – Russian shipbuilders are working on developing new "super mini" submarines, the United Shipbuilding Corporation state holding company said on Friday.

USC vice president Igor Zakharov said work on the sea craft is in progress at the St. Petersburg-based Malakhit naval machine manufacturing bureau and that Navy command has been showing interest in the project.

Alexander Terenov, an advisor to Malakhit's general director, said the Project 865 Piranha submersible (NATO reporting name Losos) could go beyond just "hit and run" operations.

"They have a broad range of applications and can carry full-fledged missile and torpedo systems," Terenov said.

Terenov said the Piranha could also be deployed for the protection of naval installations, and would be operated by small crews and cost little to maintain.

Piranha is a midget submarine designed for special operations and is almost completely silent. Only two Piranha-class submarines were reportedly ever built in Russia.

Russian Navy Develops New Mini Submarines | Defense | RIA Novosti

pmaitra

Some pictures of the Piranha (Пиранья) mini submarine model

Project 865 Piranha

Project 865E Piranha

Some pictures of the Piranha-T (Пиранья-Т) midget submarine model

Courtesy Vitaly Kuzmin, from source: МВМС-2011 часть 2 - Модели кораблей в выставочных павильонах (IMDS-2011 part 2 - Ships models) | Vitaly V. Kuzmin

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
It is made for tactical purpose, to dispatch SF close to enemy shores and also very advance ones which are little bigger and little more tonnage are used to hunt boomers & some can even launch tactical cruise missiles towards land and sea targets..

Is there any tactical advantage to mini-subs?

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Is there any tactical advantage to mini-subs?

Some 80 Japanese Type D ("Koryu") Midget Submarines in a drydock at Kure, October 19, 1945

Japanese Type D ("Koryu") Midget Submarines In a partially flooded drydock at Kure Naval Base, Japan, February 1946

A midget submarine is any submarine under 150 tons, typically operated by a crew of one or two but sometimes up to 6 or 8, with little or no on-board living accommodation. Midget submarines normally work with mother ships, from which they are launched and recovered, and which provide living accommodation for the crew and other support staff.

The best known role for midget submarines is probably harbor penetration, although only two World War II boats, the British X-craft and the unsuccessful Welman submarine were specifically designed with this in mind. Japan's Ko-hyoteki class submarines were originally designed to take part in decisive fleet actions. However, as circumstances changed, they ended up tasked with harbour penetration. Germany's various World War II designs were mostly designed to attack Allied shipping off landing beaches and harbours, although the Seehund had a great enough range to attack shipping off the Thames estuary.

Midget submarines have also seen some use in support roles. X-craft were used for reconnaissance, and the Seehund was used to carry supplies. A number of modern midget submarines have also been built for submarine rescue.

Midget submarine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Midget Submarines: "German and Italian Sneak Craft"

Last edited by a moderator:

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
US navy has modified its nuke submarine to have mini submarine attached to it.

Idea is to have seal team send through this mini sub.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
I remember @sayareakd talk about an autonomous sub like an unmanned underwater vehicle capable of delivering missile payloads. I guess this would be the kind of sub even if it can fire say 2-4 cruise missiles. Have number of such boats. If its nuclear powered, it can stay in the water forever and no need to get home for even food for sailors. Idea does not sound too far fetched and possible.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
I remember @sayareakd talk about an autonomous sub like an unmanned underwater vehicle capable of delivering missile payloads. I guess this would be the kind of sub even if it can fire say 2-4 cruise missiles. Have number of such boats. If its nuclear powered, it can stay in the water forever and no need to get home for even food for sailors. Idea does not sound too far fetched and possible.
exactly that is the idea to have Brahmos underwater missile with this type of unmanned vehicle

to be either towed or on top of submarine. like this

as and when situation demand, it will be release and put in firing position behind the submarine with cable attached to it and fired.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
exactly that is the idea to have Brahmos underwater missile with this type of unmanned vehicle

to be either towed or on top of submarine. like this

as and when situation demand, it will be release and put in firing position behind the submarine with cable attached to it and fired.
No my idea is to have a sub perpetually in the water totally autonomous

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
No my idea is to have a sub perpetually in the water totally autonomous
Yusuf idea is good as long as sub dont fell into enemy hands :rofl:

with what i have said in my previous post you will be in complete control of the missile.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Yusuf idea is good as long as sub dont fell into enemy hands :rofl:

with what i have said in my previous post you will be in complete control of the missile.
Self destruct button Saar!

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Self destruct button Saar!
Yusuf US and other countries torpedo have very small wire to guide it, they can have auto pilot which can find the enemy sub and destroy it. Problem is that sometime torpedo take a U turn and come back to sub which has launch it, therefore they use wire to guide it.

So the tech is not reach a stage where what you are saying is possible as of today.

H.A.

Yusuf US and other countries torpedo have very small wire to guide it, they can have auto pilot which can find the enemy sub and destroy it. Problem is that sometime torpedo take a U turn and come back to sub which has launch it, therefore they use wire to guide it.

So the tech is not reach a stage where what you are saying is possible as of today.
As far as I am aware Stealth is another reason for the torpedo's to be wire guided. Communicating with the torpedo might make the enemy aware of the oncoming attack and take preventive actions also it would give away the location of the sub / ship.

H.A.

Soon India is going to have its own class of new Midget submarines with an arrangement similar to this...

anoop_mig25

Country flag
does few years back there was news that iran has too developed mini -submarines

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
H.A L&T make those, but it does not have long legs. So better to use it on regular sub.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles