Russian company unveils plans for 5th-generation 'invisible' helicopters

nandu

Russian company unveils plans for 5th-generation 'invisible' helicopters

Russian Helicopters is planning to create the world's first fifth-generation combat helicopter which experts say would be able to attack fighter jets and be invisible for radars, Russian daily Gazeta said on Thursday.

"We are working on the concept of the fifth-generation combat helicopter," the paper quoted the company's CEO, Andrei Shibitov, as saying at a news conference in Moscow.

Shibitov did not specify the characteristics of the helicopter, but said the company was going to spend some $1 billion on the project, with more investment expected to be allocated from the state budget.

First deputy head of the Russian Academy of Geopolitical Problems, Konstantin Sivkov, told the paper fifth-generation combat helicopters have never been created before, although the U.S. recently began working on a similar project.

He said criteria for a fifth-generation combat helicopter say it must be radar invisible, have an extended flying range, be equipped with an intellectual arms control system, be able to combat fighter jets (existing helicopters are generally only intended to hit ground-based targets) and reach a speed of up to 500-600 km/h (310-370 mph).

The project cannot proceed, however, unless it is backed by the government.

"If the government does not sign a contract, the idea will die on the vine," head of the Russian Academy of Geopolitical Problems Leonid Ivashov told Gazeta.

Ivashov said that with sufficient investment and good organization the new helicopter could be built within five years. Otherwise, the project may drag on for 20-30 years.

But he sounded skepticism about chances to carry out the project.

"We have been snatching at everything - fifth-generation planes, fifth-generation helicopters, but nothing of this have so far been supplied to the army - today the army uses helicopters produced in 1970s," Ivashov said.

http://en.rian.ru/mlitary_news/20100513/159000792.html

bhramos

Country flag
Russia will create the fifth-generation combat helicopter

Russian Helicopter holding company "Helicopters of Russia" will create the fifth-generation combat helicopter. This, as reported by Interfax , said CEO Andrew Shibitov. Specifications of the new machine Shibitov not specified, noting only that the company is "actively working on the concept of fifth generation combat aircraft.
In addition to creating a new generation helicopter, the member companies of the holding company "Helicopters of Russia, are developing a promising high-speed helicopter. Work carried out in design offices "Kamov" and "Mile". According Shibitov, now they are at the stage of pre-studies. "Started blowing two aerodynamic schemes - coaxial and classical. The first results", - added Shibitov.

Now the fastest helicopter is considered a promising American Sikorsky X-2, which allegedly developers can reach speeds of up to 460 kilometers per hour. The first helicopter flight in 2008. According Shibitov, the prototype has received serious criticism for gearbox and transmissions, and these technical difficulties have not yet resolved.

In Russia developed three models of high-speed helicopters - Mi-X1 CB "Mile", and Ka-90 and Ka-92 KB "Kamov". Ka-90 is expected to be able to reach speeds over 800 kilometers per hour through the bypass jet. In 2009 it was reported that these projects are conducted within the federal target program for the development of the Russian helicopter construction. At the same time a hypothetical machine was estimated at five to eight years.

http://www.lenta.ru/news/2010/05/12/helicopter/

JAISWAL

A very nice concept to build on, suerly have many uses.
may india corporate on it too.

bhramos

Country flag
the only known Russian 5th gen Combat Helicopter is Ka-58 "Black Ghost".

KAMOV Ka-58 "Black Ghost" stealth helicopter

The Ka-58 is an advanced attack helicopter employing stealth technology. It is equipped with a variety of advanced weapons and targeting systems allowing both day and night operations under any weather conditions.

http://www.zvezda.org.ru/?lng=1&nav=1&p=1&set=7232

bhramos

Country flag
I read a detailed interview with CEO of Vertolety Rossiy Holding... This year they have only around $3.2 mln for studies. They are seeking more financing for next (2011) year. Demonstrator to fly in 2015- 2017 while Sikorsky X-2 is already in demonstrator stage.

Here is the source of this news: http://www.aviaport.ru/digest/2010/05/12/195033.html (rus)

bhramos

Country flag
some of the conceptual designs of Kamov's 5th Gen hellicopters.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
US already tried that concept with the Comanche. It was obsolete the day they switched to UAVs.

bhramos

Country flag
US already tried that concept with the Comanche. It was obsolete the day they switched to UAVs.
comanche have weapons internal, but russians will have out side, as its plasma stealth [ i guess]

bhramos

Country flag
Ka-58 Black Ghost

Ka-58 Black Ghost BR BR The newest ``invisible`` Russian helicopter, manufactured using stealth technology. At the same time, the use of composed materials and a concealed weapons mount improves the helicopter`s responsiveness, and the use of an internal mount and shortened external pylons makes it possible to carry on board about two metric tons of weapons, including a guided ground missile system, air-to-ground rocket launcher, and anti-aircraft missile systems.The helicopter differs from previous models by its higher maximum speed, its precision aiming equipment for its on-board artillery system, and its increased maneuverability and responsiveness. Maximum speed is achieved when the external pylons for hung equipment are removed. BR BR Weaponry (6 mounts, 2 of them internal): BR - built-in 30mm 2A42M cannon BR - Vikhr guided anti-tank rocket BR - Igla-V rocket launcher BR - Kh-29T rocket launcher BR - S-8 unguided folding-fin rocket BR BR

http://www.russiansabroad.com/conferences/topicView.asp?topicId=823&confId=10

ahmedsid

Top Gun
Interesting. So these Helicopters can fire AAM and whisk away, and the Fighters cant lock onto it. If it becomes real, then it will be a truly great achievement. But then, Will it really matter? I mean, will it be a Game Changer? I doubt so, but a lot can be learnt!

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
comanche have weapons internal, but russians will have out side, as its plasma stealth [ i guess]
Comanche had pylons with stealth mounts but is was a waste. US lost several billion in development for a useless machine. Plasma stealth does not exist.

death.by.chocolate

Professional
Country flag
Care to elaborate? How are the Russians proposing to overcome the unique doppler shift caused by the rotor?
The frequency of modulation is unique to each helicopter, radar operators identify the type of helicopter based on the Doppler return from the rotor.
Plasma stealth hasn't been achieved for complex fast moving objects besides your Plasma stealth theory isn't plausible for a helicopter since the rotor will cause the ionized gas required for stealth to disperse.

gogbot

I , agree

Stealth choppers , are too expensive and today even possible redundant.
Long endurance UCAV's with maybe stealth features makes a lot more sense.

The very concept of the stealth chopper is somewhat flawed as the odds of making a visual sighting of a shopper is far higher then a jet aircraft.

Helicopters are not BVR systems, as such they will always be vulnerable to AA guns.

bhramos

Country flag
I , agree

Stealth choppers , are too expensive and today even possible redundant.
Long endurance UCAV's with maybe stealth features makes a lot more sense.

The very concept of the stealth chopper is somewhat flawed as the odds of making a visual sighting of a shopper is far higher then a jet aircraft.

Helicopters are not BVR systems, as such they will always be vulnerable to AA guns.
atlast they are not fesible for their money. so US cancelled its Comanche project, same missions can be done by UAV's safely and cost effectivly,
India also has its own similar project, but truly cant be called as 5th Gen.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
I , agree

I agree, they will also always be vulnerable to IR missiles. Rafale can spot one 60km out and launch a MICA IR at it = dead Russian helicopter. I doubt theirs would even match up against a French helicopter carrying a Mistral.

charan

I guess it's more appropriate to invest money and R&D in UCAV rather than 5th gen choppers!

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
@ Armand2REP- same will be the fate of rafale when it will come up against su-35 equipped with bvr let alone pak-fa.one squadron of tu-160 black jacks equipped with raguda kh-55 air to surface missile can rip apart french air defense system and bomb it back to stone ages

Agnostic_Indian

Country flag
What are the operational areas and missions of attack helicopters ?
will it be mostly inside home territory ? To defend enemy tanks, soldiers etc..?
when it comes to same gen tank vs helicopter (in general) who got upper hand ? i guess it's helicopters..?
and i think a 5th gen helicopter may able to defend a good 3rd fighter jet or an average 4 th gen fighter to the max..i don't see any chance for it when it comes to 4.5 gen or 5gen fighters.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
@ Armand2REP- same will be the fate of rafale when it will come up against su-35 equipped with bvr let alone pak-fa.one squadron of tu-160 black jacks equipped with raguda kh-55 air to surface missile can rip apart french air defense system and bomb it back to stone ages
Meteor > Su-35

SAMP-T > Kh-55/ PAK FA

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles