Russia turns over production of long-range bombers to China

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
Re: China has bought Tupolev Tu-22 production line from Russia

A knowledgeable friend called to say China had bought off the entire production line of the -Tu-22M3M -- the latest variant of of the 'Backfire' strategic bomber from Russia for-$1.5 billion, just $500 million more, as he reminded me,-than what India will be paying to acquire the Pilatus propeller-driven trainer aircraft from Switzerland.-This little snippet for anybody who doubts that-India is getting things strategically so horribly-wrong!!

-Bharat Karnad

Tu-22 M3M line for China, Admiral Joshi, General Bikram | Security Wise

The Tu-22M was developed from the earlier Tu-22 design, incorporating variable-geometry outer wing panels. The first Tu-22M-0 prototype flew in 1969. Powered by a military derivative of the engine originally designed for the Tu-144 supersonic airliner, the Backfire is extremely fast, even at low level. The Tu-22M lacks sufficient range for truly strategic missions and is classified as a medium bomber.

The first series production model was the Tu-22M-2 Backfire-B (211 built) for the Soviet Air Forces and the Naval Aviation Forces. Normally armed with a single Kh-22 stand-off missile, this variant became operational with 185 Guard Heavy Bomber Aviation Regiment at Poltava in 1978, and also served in Afghanistan.

China must be requiring these bombers to patrol and attack in the SCS as also to launch from Tibet.
What a waste of time. A 60+ year old a/c. Not only is its design incredibly outdated but the methodology and thinking behind having such a system Long gone are the days when you need such a/c. A single MKI or Rafale can pack an equally mean punch these days. I don't know what China is thinking but they got royally ripped off by the Russians. It would be like India buying the designs for the De Havilland Comet or something- money down the drain!
what Bharat is saying is that india had overpaid for a propellor swiss trainer

what china has bought might not be todays latest tech but it is some capability at a very low cost - also given china's ability in manufacturing and mass-production, they should be able to innovate to churn out huge numbers at a cheap price .....so that means a lot of fire power at low cost .....quality certainly not at the Rafael's level but the numbers could more that make up for that

in that sense bharat kamad is right in pointing a finger at our MOD acumen in strategic decision -making especially in comparison to that of prc-dragon

Last edited:

abingdonboy

Country flag

what Bharat is saying is that india had overpaid for a propellor swiss trainer

what china has bought might not be todays latest tech but it is some capability at a very low cost - also given china's ability in manufacturing and mass-production, they should be able to innovate to churn out huge numbers at a cheap price .....so that means a lot of fire power at low cost .....quality certainly not at the Rafael's level but the numbers could more that make up for that

in that sense bharat kamad is right in pointing a finger at our MOD acumen in strategic decision -making especially in comparison to that of prc-dragon
You can't extrapolate that India has overpaid for the trainers from this news at all. This guy is just going off on one because he thinks the TU-22s would be better for India than trainers for pilots who would fly them. HE IS WRONG.

cinoti

Tihar Jail
Banned

You can't extrapolate that India has overpaid for the trainers from this news at all. This guy is just going off on one because he thinks the TU-22s would be better for India than trainers for pilots who would fly them. HE IS WRONG.

700 Million for 75 basic trainer to my standard is an overpay I have to say, why don't you make your own
it is just a propeller plane

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

China is correct in buying what it needs.

addiction

doesn't make any sense to me to buy this news ,,first, the source does't seem to be authenticate .second, .tu 22 is pretty old and obsolete platform, why Chinese would invest into something that wont have any considerable ROI...specially when it comes to defense deal with Russ as Chinese these days have been claiming their jets are superior to Russians...

AVERAGE INDIAN

EXORCIST
Country flag

Rupee news nothing mentioned in russian media :toilet::facepalm:

mikhail

Country flag

700 Million for 75 basic trainer to my standard is an overpay I have to say, why don't you make your own
it is just a propeller plane
do you even what's the purpose of buying the Pilatus pc-7 mkII!these aircrafts will be used as a basic trainer for our IAF cadets plus with its state of the art avionics it can be used in CAS during a war!

MOD Edit: No ad hominems.

ice berg

I dont know what the topic starter wants to achieve with a thread like this.

A rumour from a " friend" in another internet site? ROFL

This story is almost as old as the china buys su-35 story.

Guess DFI are running out of China bashing topics lately. Where is our brigadier Ray?:confused:

Blackwater

A rumour from a " friend" in another internet site? ROFL

This story is almost as old as the china buys su-35 story.

Guess DFI are running out of China bashing topics lately. Where is our brigadier Ray?:confused:
we have achieved what ever we we want to achieve:laugh::laugh::taunt1::taunt1:

Blackwater

one Pair for Pakistan plzzzz
Bheekh maangna bundh karo.
Yehi toh baat hain, milta toh kuch nahin china se, bas maangte rehte hain.
Gaon basa nahi bhikari pahle aagye..
Bheekh mangne ki addat nahi jati kya kare:taunt1::taunt1:

Your Atif aslam song goes perfectly for u.

Ab to aadat si ho gayi ha ase jeene me ........ohho ohhoooo hohooooo hoooooo
i clear it for you.

He said beggars and eunuch (chaake)reach first always in the chinese pind

:taunt:

see, we have achieved

no smoking

Country flag

What you achieved? Dancing on a rumous?

Since when, indian friends have become so desperate?

cinoti

Tihar Jail
Banned

do you even what's the purpose of buying the Pilatus pc-7 mkII!these aircrafts will be used as a basic trainer for our IAF cadets plus with its state of the art avionics it can be used in CAS during a war!got it son:cool2:!
I really don't get it, to train cadet, can't you come up with something alike? doubt it can be used in anywar, the propeller gives out position right away, it will be detected 2 miles away from its airbase.

cinoti

Tihar Jail
Banned

It is them who spread the rumor, it is them who danced on this rumor.

pmaitra

I don't understands Karnad's logic.

Does he mean to say that even India should be ordering bombers or buying off production line of Tu22 ?

Or he means that we are paying more for ToT ?
I think what he means is that from the financial point of view, PRC got a better deal with Russia than what India got with Switzerland.

Personally, I am not too worried, but the Russians have plans to turn their Akula Class submarines into freighters or to simply scrap them. India should definitely buy one of those and bring them home, to study them and perhaps then build a proper SSBN.

Blackwater

No, u did not check my post 34 properly

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag

This is a strategic bomber, why would they need this?

Snuggy321

Having dedicated squadrons of bombers is cold war strategy (except stealth bombers like the B2), esp. an old aircraft like the TU22.
I would like to know the reasons for the PLAAFs decision............

Sridhar

House keeper
Country flag

Russia turns over production of long-range bombers to China

A move by Russia to sell its production line of Tu-22M3 long-range bombers to China for US$1.5 billion to China was confirmed by the US-based US-China Economic and Security Review Commission two years ago and the bomber's name will be changed to the Hong-10, reports the state-run China News Service.

China's air force currently still uses the Tu-16 middle-range bomber introduced from the former Soviet Union for its main bombing missions. Though the plane is equipped missiles of the same level as US Tomahawk cruise missile, the long-range and all-weather subsonic cruise missile, its outdated design forced Russia to abandon them in the last decade.

China intended to buy Tu-22M3 bombers from Russia in 1998, but Moscow refused the deal out of concerns of changing the military balance in eastern Asia.

The Hong-10, whose components will all be produced in China with the exception of the engine, is expected to fly in the second half of next year, and the country will produce 36 aircraft in the first batch to be delivered to the air force. One of world's fastest long-range bombers which can also carry atomic weapons, the plane can cover the South China Sea, East China Sea and even the western Pacific.

The bomber reportedly has the range to break through the first island chain of the Pacific, an assumed line of defense against China ranging from Japan in the north to the Philippines in the south. The plane can also be refueled in mid-air to allow for longer-range missions.

Russia turns over production of long-range bombers to China|Politics|News|WantChinaTimes.com

G90

Russia is a country of wankers.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag

I think what he means is that from the financial point of view, PRC got a better deal with Russia than what India got with Switzerland.
One can't really compare aircraft deal with Switzerland & that of production line of bombers. Karnad is making irrelevant comments.

Personally, I am not too worried, but the Russians have plans to turn their Akula Class submarines into freighters or to simply scrap them. India should definitely buy one of those and bring them home, to study them and perhaps then build a proper SSBN.
Long shot considering IN will take few years before even formulate its sub-surface/surface defense strategy for coming decades. New SSBN designs will follow afterwards. But yeah process to absorb Akula's design knowledge can be initiated.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles