Russia ready to deliver Mi-171 helicopters to Afghanistan

nia

Russia's state-run arms exporter Rosoboronexport will compete in a helicopter tender for the U.S. anti-terrorism campaign in Afghanistan.

More...

pmaitra

Sounds great that US will be procuring Russian military hardware. They have been using one Mil-24/35 for training, but this time with the Mil-171, a variant of the venerable Mil-17, it will be real life operations. My humble respects to the engineers at Mil Moscow Helicopter Plant!

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Mils are rugged beasts of burden having capability to endure the worst punishments as seen in Siachen in our case. There's every reason why Americans would prefer to have cheaper and sturdier helos especially in Afghanistan than have expensive yet vulnerable US stuff.

Country flag
Mils are rugged beasts of burden having capability to endure the worst punishments as seen in Siachen in our case. There's every reason why Americans would prefer to have cheaper and sturdier helos especially in Afghanistan than have expensive yet vulnerable US stuff.
There is also the danger of US equipment crashing or being shot down then recovered by Pakistan and shipped to China, already happened with a few helicopter engines.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/06/18/us-loses-4-helicopter-eng_n_107806.html

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
^^ And why am I not surprised that there's been such progress in indigenous technology in the region offlate LOL! I admire Pakistan's will to make it into the next decade in 1 piece: they seem to have a "I will salvage tech, you make me new ones" agreement with them.

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag
Russia Delivers 12 Helos for Afghan Army

Russia's military export organization Rosoboronexport said Nov. 1 that it had completed deliveries to the US government of 12 transport helicopters destined for the Afghan National Army.

Deliveries were completed last month, said the state-owned company in a statement. The 12 Mi-17V-5s were ordered in 2012 when the US government took up a $217 million option to purchase additional machines as a result of an earlier 2011 deal.

That deal involved the purchase by the US of 21 Mi-17s to bolster Afghan military transport capabilities in the run-up to the withdrawal of NATO combat forces by the end of next year.

At one point, the US Congress tried to block the purchase of helicopters from Rosoboronexport due to Russia's continuing supply of military equipment to the Syrian regime of Bashar al-Assad, which is fighting a civil war with rebels. The Pentagon managed to sidestep the attempted ban.

Completion of deliveries of the latest batch of Mi-17s leaves a further 30 of the rotorcraft to be handed over to the US in 2014 under a $572 million deal Rosoboronexport signed earlier this year.

Russia Delivers 12 Helos for Afghan Army | Defense News | defensenews.com

datguy79

More significantly, we got the first pair of C-130H last month! I think the transport requirement is pretty much met for now. We need more attack helis to complement the super tucanos as a force multiplier and decrease casualties.

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag
US to Buy 30 Russian Helicopters for Afghanistan Next Year

The United States will next year buy 30 Russian-made helicopters for the Afghan army, Russian state arms exporter Rosoboronexport said Friday.

The batch of Mi-17V-5 military transport helicopters will raise to 63 the quantity of that model supplied under US-Russian deals for the Afghan National Army.

US to Buy 30 Russian Helicopters for Afghanistan Next Year | World | RIA Novosti

rvjpheonix

Country flag
More significantly, we got the first pair of C-130H last month! I think the transport requirement is pretty much met for now. We need more attack helis to complement the super tucanos as a force multiplier and decrease casualties.
Do you stay in afghanistan?

Global Defence

New threads

Articles