Rugged Pajero for jawans posted in Sikkim

Blackwater

The Indian Army brigade facing the Chinese in north Sikkim has an unusual vehicle in its inventory: Mitsubishi Pajeros! The vehicles were specially procured after observing similar vehicles used by Chinese military personnel on their side of the border.

The fact is northern Sikkim is no picnic. Over a distance of 60-70 km, the height rises from 15,000 feet to 19,000 feet. (The Chinese have it comparatively easier, they reach the same heights but rising gradually over 140 km). It puts considerable strain on army personnel not to mention vehicles and equipment. And given the poor state of roads there, the wear and tear is steep. Therefore the rugged Pajero.

It didn't come easily. Apart from the army's stringent procurement procedures, the mandarins in the Finance Ministry were reported to have had many objections. Nevertheless the proposal went through for an undisclosed number of Pajeros and they are doing yeoman service.

Oddly enough, the army appears less tense about the Chinese threat in Sikkim. The answer lies in the fact that units are sitting on the ridgelines and are able to spot any movement on the Chinese side. Then again the Chinese practice of stationing units 20 km from the border provides insurance against any surprise attack. Satellite cover is another insurance. The army also deploys artillery and tanks in depth to ensure adequate backup to the infantry. This is crucial given the problems involved in any air supply effort. There are no airfields in Sikkim, not because they're not required but engineers are yet to figure out how to get around the mountain ranges and lay a proper airfield. There are helipads but the logistics involved in moving tonnes of supplies or personnel at those heights tells heavily on equipment.

Border incidents appear to happen on a fairly regular basis, sometimes as often as every week. But these are rarely the "pushing shoving kind", or anything that degenerates into an armed confrontation. Army sources say that in the last 40 years no shot has been fired by either side. But the famous Finger Area is a bone of contention. The Chinese claiming the Indian border runs further south from its current position.

They are known to destroy stone cairns put up by the army to show where the Indian border begins. But many of these face offs are reportedly polite affairs, the Chinese anxious to make their point of view heard. Officers who have served in the area also say the Chinese tend to be very protocol conscious, the presence of a senior Indian army officer the occasion for an elaborate exchange of courtesies.

But there's no doubt the PLA is, as Defence Minister A K Antony puts it, "aggressively strengthening its capacities". So too is the Indian Army although comparatively our effort is slower, perhaps less focussed and always constrained by infrastructure and other hurdles.

IBNLive : Surya Gangadharan's Blog : Rugged Pajero for jawans posted in Sikkim

agentperry

i cant decide whether to like it or not. ok it will be made in india by HM but still army should give a look to vehicles like mahindra axe etc afterall they are made for such things only and not running on delhi-jaipur highway

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
I being an 4x4 addict in the past, can clearly say the Pajero is not worth the money and there are better vehicles that can be given.

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
oh boy, i am shocked, how did the babus even let such a proposal pass!!!

these chaps must be rumbling, if a jawan gets a pajero, it ought to be an aston martin for them.

anyways a good development none the less.

Tomcat

the Mistubishi pajaro is made in India By the HM is the Generation II Pajero as the Pajero SFX

agentperry

im trying to connect it with a news report i read sometime back which said that army generals of india feels ashamed of coming out of aged maruti gypsy while their chinese counterparts step out of limos and mighty suvs.

pmaitra

i cant decide whether to like it or not. ok it will be made in india by HM but still army should give a look to vehicles like mahindra axe etc afterall they are made for such things only and not running on delhi-jaipur highway
Pajero offers more punch at 3+ litre engine, 3.6 litre at max vs Mahindra Axe's 2.7 litre engine. Let us not forget the chilly heights, where Pajero wins hands down over Mahindra Axe.

We should always seek to favour domestic models over foreign ones provided they are equal, otherwise, we should pick the best, foreign or domestic.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
Pajero is an soft roader, its pretty much useless on hard terrain. It wont be able to negotiate very step angles. The bumper itself is an impediment as it restricts its angle of approach. The Axe would probably do better and weight to power ratio also matters. The Pajero only has 115bhp and i think the Axe has 120bhp and weighs less.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
These vehicles are not for an other reasons except to conserve on the Field Force equipment.

The choice is as per the conditions in which they are to be used.

There are an assortment of vehicle being used!

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
Well Axe never went into production, afaik the project was scrapped after it failed in User trials on the other hand Pajero is a proven vehicle.

Pajero is an soft roader, its pretty much useless on hard terrain. It wont be able to negotiate very step angles. The bumper itself is an impediment as it restricts its angle of approach. The Axe would probably do better and weight to power ratio also matters. The Pajero only has 115bhp and i think the Axe has 120bhp and weighs less.
If you think more BHP is the deciding factor of choosing a vehicle it is not, user have certain requirement above that it is always an extra, plus mere BHP doesnt make an engine better then the other.

I cannot recollect exactly but my knowledge iirc Pajero sports a monocoque frame chassis, (not 100% sure though), if so I will express my disappointment with the army for choosing that vehicle, monocoques are decent for on roads while ladder frame is preffered for true offroad capabilities again the Army will have a hard time fixing a tow and recovery hook and reinforced front and rear protection bumpers replacing the plastic one upon a monocoque chassis, making it totally useless for Army operating except luxury transport, inducting such a vehicle will prove nothing but only economic wastage.

Last edited:

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
Well Axe never went into production, afaik the project was scrapped after it failed in User trials on the other hand Pajero is a proven vehicle.

If you think more BHP is the deciding factor of choosing a vehicle it is not, user have certain requirement above that it is always an extra, plus mere BHP doesnt make an engine better then the other.

I cannot recollect exactly but my knowledge iirc Pajero sports a monocoque frame chassis, (not 100% sure though), if so I will express my disappointment with the army for choosing that vehicle, monocoques are decent for on roads while ladder frame is preffered for true offroad capabilities again the Army will have a hard time fixing a tow and recovery hook and reinforced front and rear protection bumpers replacing the plastic one upon a monocoque chassis, making it totally useless for Army operating except luxury transport, inducting such a vehicle will prove nothing but only economic wastage.
I did not say more BHP is good, i was responding to what the guy above me said. I am a 4x4 junkie for a while atleast, so i know my offroaders.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

I like it, With with big tires..

Last edited:

agentperry

dear kunal i dont know you have seen the media reports or not but the army's demand was rejected and instead govt authorized tractors for army personnel in NE. i posted it weeks back.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
dear kunal i dont know you have seen the media reports or not but the army's demand was rejected and instead govt authorized tractors for army personnel in NE. i posted it weeks back.
Hmm..

If so post it here, We will see too ..

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
These vehicles are not to be used for war.

These are basically to conserve service equipment!

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles