Row over 'untouchable' Indian dog

Rahul92

Police in India are investigating claims that a Dalit woman has been ordered to pay compensation to the high-caste owners of a dog she fed.

The woman says the village council wants her to pay a fine of 15,000 rupees ($330) for feeding the dog, which the owners have now kicked out.

They are reported to have said the dog is "untouchable", but deny being motivated by caste considerations.

Sunita Jatav fed Sheru some leftover bread

Although widespread, discrimination against Dalits is an offence in India.

Dalits, who make up nearly 20% of the Indian population, say little has changed despite the government enacting various laws banning caste-based discrimination.

'He got very angry'

The incident took place in Malikpur village in Morena district in central Madhya Pradesh state.

"I made some roti [Indian bread] and took it to my husband who works in a farm. After I had fed him, we had some leftovers which I gave to the dog," the Dalit woman, Sunita Jatav, said.

She said the owner of the dog, Amrutlal Kirari, saw her feeding him.

"He got very angry and said 'You've fed my dog, it has become an untouchable now'."

Mrs Jatav said Mr Kirari left the dog, a black mongrel called Sheru, tied to a pole outside her house.

On Monday, the village council met and decided that Sheru had been defiled and hence Mr Kirari should be paid 15,000 rupees as compensation, Mrs Jatav alleged.

On Tuesday, she approached the district collector of Morena who ordered an inquiry into the incident.

Senior police officer in the area, Baldev Singh, told the BBC that he was investigating the matter.

He said Mr Kirari had alleged that after eating the bread, Sheru fell ill.

Mr Kirari said he abandoned the dog at Mrs Jatav's house so she could look after it and nurse it back to health, Mr Singh added.

Dalits - formerly untouchables - are considered at the bottom of the Hindu caste system.

Any discrimination against them is an offence and punishable by law.

source: BBC News - Row over 'untouchable' Indian dog

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
BBC is running out of news or what?

dr0ne

Since '47 jokers at BBC, Guardian, Telegraph, etc have not reconciled with India's independence.

p2prada

If Kirari takes the hard earned money of the dalit then shouldn't he become an untouchable too?

It's a dog eat dog world. :p

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
If anyone has passed such a comment he has no right what-so-ever to live in this world of humans. As he not a human. Those illitrate upper class members must be scrambled of f, of their citizenship and thrown away. I myself am a brahmin. But, I want to say that caste according to VEDAS is depended upon merit, pure merit. :emot154:

Oracle

First things first. Racism that we talk so much about - when we face it(Australia), has always been swept under the carpet in India. If things are to change, then the decades old laws of dividing people based on caste, creed and religion should make way for progressive ideas.

I bed your pardon, but BBC is nothing when compared to AajTak and the likes.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles