Role of Indian Navy in Sino-Indian conflict

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Arya get specific instead of just saying we are lacking and not doing anything.

sandeepdg

Can you provide a source saying that the PLAN will get two Admiral Kuznetsovs?? Also the Varyag has zero percent chance of becoming operational, as it doesn't even come with engines, a rudder, or its main operating systems. The PLAN will likely use it to practice carrier takeoff and landing.
Mate, even I thought the same, that the Varyag will be used as a trainer, but these reports suggest otherwise. It seems they are contemplating making it operational in a span of 5-7 years. And I didn't mean that that PLAN will get 2 Adm. Kuzetsnov class ACs fronm Russia, rather I was saying that the Chinese are building their ACs based on the same class and will probaly two ACs by 2020. This info is available on Wiki.
http://www.aircraftcarrier.name/china/varyag/
http://en.academic.ru/dic.nsf/enwiki/18047

By the way, their Kilos are better than ours, as Brahmos put it ! Their Kilos are of project 636 class.
http://www.india-defence.com/reports-3153

sandeepdg

I don't mean to belittle the Chinese SSN fleet, but the Han class subs are widely regarded as being inadequate. I mean, they can't even fire missiles while submerged! Not to mention its noisy reactor, poor radiation shielding, and other health hazards.
Whatever be the problems, atleast they are better off than us in building subs !The Song class subs are good, with 7-10 of them in service. The Han class will soon be replaced by the new Type 093 SSN Shang class. They also have two different classes of SSBNs, the Type 092 Xia and Type 094 Jin class. The Yuan class has already entered production. What I am trying to emphasize is that the PLAN will have more and advanced subs than us by 2020, during which time we may be able to acquire only 2 Arihant class subsand an Akula probably, with their principal weapon, the SLBM might not become operational even by that date. Also, the Kilo class subs will be replaced by the Lada/Amur class subs in the Russian navy, so its better we also consider the Lada class as a replacement for our Kilos.

Last edited:

Phenom

I have asked this question before, but never really got a reply,

How exactly would IN differentiate between ships carrying goods to China and Ships carrying goods to other East Asian countries? Would they board and check the papers of every ships that passes through the strait? If they do that wouldn't they have to shut down the entire strait

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Yes Phenon, during a war, India can board a ship to check papers.

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
We need ASHM like china to cover whole of IOR then china not even dare to venture into IOR

sandeepdg

We need ASHM like china to cover whole of IOR then china not even dare to venture into IOR
Not known how effective these are against a modern nuke sub, so won't be much effective against them !!

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
Mate, even I thought the same, that the Varyag will be used as a trainer, but these reports suggest otherwise. It seems they are contemplating making it operational in a span of 5-7 years. And I didn't mean that that PLAN will get 2 Adm. Kuzetsnov class ACs fronm Russia, rather I was saying that the Chinese are building their ACs based on the same class and will probaly two ACs by 2020. This info is available on Wiki.
http://www.aircraftcarrier.name/china/varyag/
http://en.academic.ru/dic.nsf/enwiki/18047
Mate, my opinion on the Varyag comes from Officer of Engineers, a former militaryman and dedicated PLA watcher for many years. He himself said on PDF that Varyag has 0% chance of becoming operational, and will be used for training purposes only. I know we cannot advertise other forums, but I can PM you the link if you want.

Remember that the Indian Navy has been operating aircraft carriers since 1961, with the induction of INS Vikrant. That is 50 years' worth of experience. Mate, no other country in Asia has this much experience in aircraft carrier operation. Even if the PLAN builds their own ACs, it will be many many years before they reach the same technical know-how as the IN.
Studying an AC is quite different from actually operating it!

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
Whatever be the problems, atleast they are better off than us in building subs !The Song class subs are good, with 7-10 of them in service. The Han class will soon be replaced by the new Type 093 SSN Shang class. They also have two different classes of SSBNs, the Type 092 Xia and Type 094 Jin class. The Yuan class has already entered production. What I am trying to emphasize is that the PLAN will have more and advanced subs than us by 2020, during which time we may be able to acquire only 2 Arihant class subsand an Akula probably, with their principal weapon, the SLBM might not become operational even by that date. Also, the Kilo class subs will be replaced by the Lada/Amur class subs in the Russian navy, so its better we also consider the Lada class as a replacement for our Kilos.
I agree that the PLAN submarine arm is superior to ours, I am not denying that! The IN has historically lacked in the acqusition of sufficient numbers of submarines.
At the same time, however, remember that the naval doctrines of the IN and PLAN are quite different. While the PLAN doctrine revolves around submarines, ours revolves around CBGs. Historically, this difference is similar to that between the Soviet Navy and the US Navy. While the former emphasized nuclear submarines, the latter emphasized nuclear-powered supercarriers.

Different doctrines for different countries!

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
The IN will just be used to cut off Chinese supplies and block critical chokepoints, especially the Malacca Straits.

Any future Sino-Indian conflict will revolve around Arunachal Pradesh and Aksai Chin, so I don't see the navy supporting land operations.

But I am just an armchair general so I might be wrong :)
There really isn't much more they can do. The fighting inland will be far too great a distance from the littoral for the Navy to make a difference. Its primary role will be to attack Chinese merchant marine if the conflict escalates to that level. China would want a limited war so Navy would not play into it from their end and an attack by India on shipping would escalate it to a level India doesn't want.

neo29

As far as rumors are concerned, PLA-N has a doctrine against Taiwan in Taiwan strait and against Japan, South Korea mainly becoz of US influence. They may be making a doctrine to counter US-N ever since their ASBM came into picture. They may surely have a doctrine to protect their all important oil supplies but not exactly have a doctrine for full scale war in Indian Ocean. This may be becoz they are vulnerable fighting so far from their coast without any proper naval support nearby.

Phenom

Yes Phenon, during a war, India can board a ship to check papers.
Hundreds of ships pass through the strait every day. Is it possible for India to stop and board most of these ships, especially with Chinese Submarine threat lurking underwater.

And even in IN manages to do that, such a measure would choke up Malacca strait, angering ASEAN and East Asian countries. That would be a diplomatic risk most Indian governments wouldn't be willing to take.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles