Road trouble in China

nimo_cn

Country flag
Oh, five???? You mst be joking, dear friend from France. :laugh:

The Oriental Pearl Tower in Shanghai was completed in 1994, 18 years old now.:thumb:

The oldest Chinese wooden temple, the Nanchan Temple, dates back to 782 AC Nanchan Temple - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia :thumb:

China has a massive transportation system. 96,000 km of express way and over 100,000 km of national high way (excluding streets and roads in cities like Guangzhou) makes it the largest in the world. To have some accidents is avoidable. My father is an engineer here in Guangzhou in a state-hold company. The South part of Kaichuang Ave, he built in Guangzhou has already endured 10 years. Now a part of a new metro line, the line 6 is being built under that avenue. :lol:

Traffic jam is often heard in China, but construction trouble, very little. This thread only has a dreadful 3 pages with not more than 15 accidents.
Don't forget that China has an area of over 9,640,000km^2, 18 times of that of France with a variety of landscapes ranging from marshes to "roofs" of the world, harsh desert to vast plains. And also a population of 1.3 billion.
Even France had a Collapse of Terminal 2E of Charles de Gaulle Airport in 2005. Did any Chinese start to think France is bad at construction? France is now cooperating with China in civil nuclear power development.
My English teachers from Canada and US are just amazed at the infrastructure of China and of course its quality. China is no longer that backward COMMUNIST in your mind. Come to China and I can show you around. :thumb:
No need to invite that guy to China, last time he was in Guangzhou, he got two ladies pregnant and abandoned them.

Sent from my HUAWEI T8951 using Tapatalk 2

KevWang

As for sinkholes,You can find them mostly in cities with massive numbers of cars and people which poses great pressure to the ground.

Many of the sinkholes happened in cities with metros undr construction, such as those in Beijing and Guangzhou
First we talk about Beijing. Beijing has well over 10 metro lines, which give strong stress to the ound. Beijing is on the North-eastern plain of China, with very soft ground. Therefore some collapses are witnessed.
Guangzhou's road collapse is similar. Metro line 6 and line 1 both pass under the road which collapsed yesterday. The collapse will be fixed after cement is poured in.

As for the collapse of Taiyuan and Nanchang, I believe is a construction failure, the fault of over-rapidness of construction in China.

Overall, sinkholes have pose threat to the Chinese citizens living in cities. Yet over time most of highways and roads are endurable, considering the massive size of Chinese transportationn systems.( 96000km G-expressways,100000 national high ways and countless streets and roads in cities and towns) Chinese government should learn from these failures.:thumb:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
KevWang

You are new here.

This is an English language forum.

No foreign language is allowed without translation.

Even Chinese written in roman script.

Don't make the Mods into King Kongs playing Ping Pong to delete post that appear to be Ding Dong!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
As for sinkholes,You can find them mostly in cities with massive numbers of cars and people which poses great pressure to the ground.
I appreciate your comments on the hurry to build and rightly so that they have to build fast for a variety of reasons.

But are you suggesting that China beneath the surface is hollow?

NO soil survey is done before a building or a road or any infrastructure is built?

Now that would mean that China builds on shaky grounds.

I don't think so.

Last edited:

KevWang

I appreciate your comments on the hurry to build and rightly so that they have to build fast for a variety of reasons.

But are you suggesting that China beneath the surface is hollow?

NO soil survey is done before a building or a road or any infrastructure is built?

Now that would mean that China builds on shaky grounds.

I don't think so.

Sorry for that, haha.

No roads are built over hollow places, but what we saw after the collapse is hollow space.

The beneath of a collapsed road is hollow because the roadbed is pressed, loosened and at last collapsed. The roadbed is built over the natural ground, so soil needs to be put between the road surface and the natural ground.

Mud-slide, earthquake, over-pressure and sometimes even heavy rain can cause the road to collapse. Well, human factor is also possible but very unlikely except for design failure ( like failure to calculate correctly the maximum bearable weight) or metro/tunnel construction that goes through the roadbed.

Hope you like this answer.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Sorry for that, haha.

No roads are built over hollow places, but what we saw after the collapse is hollow space.

The beneath of a collapsed road is hollow because the roadbed is pressed, loosened and at last collapsed. The roadbed is built over the natural ground, so soil needs to be put between the road surface and the natural ground.

Mud-slide, earthquake, over-pressure and sometimes even heavy rain can cause the road to collapse. Well, human factor is also possible but very unlikely except for design failure ( like failure to calculate correctly the maximum bearable weight) or metro/tunnel construction that goes through the roadbed.

Hope you like this answer.
Too bad you do not understand structural engineering and soil testing.

Enjoy the hollow that builds China.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
No need to invite that guy to China, last time he was in Guangzhou, he got two ladies pregnant and abandoned them.
That is an insult to women.

KevWang

Too bad you do not understand structural engineering and soil testing.

Enjoy the hollow that builds China.
Seems I can't cheat you. You are an expert, huh? Well, let me explain the turth about the road collapse in Guangzhou. The place where the road collapse is on an alluvian plain. The plain did not emerge before Tang dynasty( around 600-900AC). The geological composition beneath the roadbed is basically sand. The government of Guangzhou, in order not to bother the citizens, chosed subsurface excavation method. The sand under the roadbed started to flow. This caused the calamity to happen. Well, this is what my friends who is working on the metro has told me.

Honestly I have to say that the roads in your country is much worse than those in China.Maybe you should watch the documentary of Anita Rani and Justin Rowlatt's two very differnet car journeys in China and India, made by BBC. The documentaries are called China On Four Wheels and India On Four Wheels respectively. Rani believed that Chinese roads' quality are comparable to those of first world nations. LOL

You know that BBC seldom says anything good about China. Haha!

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Oh, five???? You mst be joking, dear friend from France. :laugh:

The Oriental Pearl Tower in Shanghai was completed in 1994, 18 years old now.:thumb:

The oldest Chinese wooden temple, the Nanchan Temple, dates back to 782 AC Nanchan Temple - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia :thumb:

China has a massive transportation system. 96,000 km of express way and over 100,000 km of national high way (excluding streets and roads in cities like Guangzhou) makes it the largest in the world. To have some accidents is avoidable. My father is an engineer here in Guangzhou in a state-hold company. The South part of Kaichuang Ave, he built in Guangzhou has already endured 10 years. Now a part of a new metro line, the line 6 is being built under that avenue. :lol:

Traffic jam is often heard in China, but construction trouble, very little. This thread only has a dreadful 3 pages with not more than 15 accidents.
Don't forget that China has an area of over 9,640,000km^2, 18 times of that of France with a variety of landscapes ranging from marshes to "roofs" of the world, harsh desert to vast plains. And also a population of 1.3 billion.
Even France had a Collapse of Terminal 2E of Charles de Gaulle Airport in 2005. Did any Chinese start to think France is bad at construction? France is now cooperating with China in civil nuclear power development.
My English teachers from Canada and US are just amazed at the infrastructure of China and of course its quality. China is no longer that backward COMMUNIST in your mind. Come to China and I can show you around. :thumb:
All these bridges were less than 5 years old...

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag

You want to try that again? Okay... this unfinished car park collapsed a couple weeks ago...

amoy

This message has been deleted by Daredevil.
Reason
This is not about India
wow, everything is relative. if Indian roads are not allowed to be posted, how can we know how terrible Chinese engineering is

Like a Chinese song goes, to the effect - "Day never knows how dark Night is" literally :rofl:

Or terrible Chinese roads give u guys some comfort in comparison to Indian.. :lol:

Give u an eye-opener what Amoy roads look like

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
wow, everything is relative. if Indian roads are not allowed to be posted, how can we know how terrible Chinese engineering is

Like a Chinese song goes, to the effect - "Day never knows how dark Night is" literally :rofl:

Or terrible Chinese roads give u guys some comfort in comparison to Indian.. :lol:
I already said, post in Indian related threads. All you chinese posters want to do is compare and derail the threads. If you wish post in relevant forums about Indian roads and engineering.

amoy

I already said, post in Indian related threads. All you chinese posters want to do is compare and derail the threads. If you wish post in relevant forums about Indian roads and engineering.
Devil, Isn't your purpose of initiating this thread for comparison?? en hn?

If the road "trouble" is not put side by side with a frame of reference, how can Chinese or Indians here know what a "trouble" it is??

KevWang

But you only saw the bridges that collapsed, man.

There are now more than 40000 bridges in China.

Nanjing Yangtze River Bridge is 45 years old now. In operation since 1968 http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanjing_Yangtze_River_Bridge

Chien Tang River Bridge is over 65 years old now. In operation since 1937 http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qiantang_River_Bridge

Wuhan Yangtze River Bridge is over 55 years old. In operation since 1957
http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wuhan_Yangtze_River_Bridge

Haizhu Bridge in my hometown Guangzhou is well over 62 years old, construction done in 1950
Haizhu Bridge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
And Haiyin Bridge in Guangzhou is well over 24 years old.Haiyin Bridge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Humen Pearl River Bridge in Canton is over 15 years old, operational since 1997
Humen Pearl River Bridge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Xiling Bridge is over 15 years old. In operation since 1996.
http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xiling_Bridge

And so many over 10 years old.

Bridges that cross Yangtze River See below link
Yangtze River bridges and tunnels - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Longest open water bridge in the world Jiaozhou Bay Bridge
Jiaozhou Bay Bridge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And of course this Anji Bridge built between 595CE to 605CE :thumb:Anji Bridge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hope you like it.

huaxia rox

so mr mod.....some questions here.....

1 what do you think about this http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/china/45892-grassland-deep-ocean.html when the starter talks about some chinese PLA stuff some indian friend here turns up and saying stuff like Our Punjabis, Rajasthanis and Kashmiris who have never seen the sea and have only seen the plains, deserts and mountains and High Altitude are also in our Navy! etc......how is his statement related to PLA.....or by any chance any sikh bodyguards have joined PLA to safeguard our president that i am not aware of??? and you gonna take any actions or you think its not an OT??

2 specificly......which sector should we post info about achivements of indian road or bridge?? Internal Security???

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
so mr mod.....some questions here.....

1 what do you think about this http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/china/45892-grassland-deep-ocean.html when the starter talks about some chinese PLA stuff some indian friend here turns up and saying stuff like Our Punjabis, Rajasthanis and Kashmiris who have never seen the sea and have only seen the plains, deserts and mountains and High Altitude are also in our Navy! etc......how is his statement related to PLA.....or by any chance any sikh bodyguards have joined PLA to safeguard our president that i am not aware of??? and you gonna take any actions or you think its not an OT??

2 specificly......which sector should we post info about achivements of indian road or bridge?? Internal Security???
Post in "politics & Society" or "Economy & Infrastructure" threads

nimo_cn

Country flag
Its not a comparison thread. Move on.
It is always a comparison when Indians post about China, same with Chinese posting about India.

It is understandable for a person with an IQ of 180 to call a 120 IQ idiot, but it is a joke if a 80 IQ believe he could do the same thing.

Sent from my HUAWEI T8951 using Tapatalk 2

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles